+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing Spouse's Goods-to-follow Without Her

muokoln

Jul 21, 2024
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and my wife has been approved as a family sponsor PR. She and I have been in the States for several years. We plan to fly to Canada for her to land her sponsorship, then I will return to the US to drive the remaining goods across the border (i.e. not shipping).

From my understanding, we could use the "goods to follow" form approved at her landing to avoid duties on goods-to-follow shipped commercially or that she later brings across the border.
However, can I bring her goods via truck personally, using the "goods to follow" form, without her also crossing the border at the same time?
That is, she would remain in Canada while I go to the US then return to Canada with both her and my "goods to follow".

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and my wife has been approved as a family sponsor PR. She and I have been in the States for several years. We plan to fly to Canada for her to land her sponsorship, then I will return to the US to drive the remaining goods across the border (i.e. not shipping).

From my understanding, we could use the "goods to follow" form approved at her landing to avoid duties on goods-to-follow shipped commercially or that she later brings across the border.
However, can I bring her goods via truck personally, using the "goods to follow" form, without her also crossing the border at the same time?
That is, she would remain in Canada while I go to the US then return to Canada with both her and my "goods to follow".

Thanks!
Informally I expect there would be zero problem whatsoever. Yes, it would be more 'correct' if her goods were separate and all that. But if you've been together and your household goods are combined, you have the right to bring your stuff in and they're not going to make a big deal about her stuff or who owns what. (I..e if you state it is all your household stuff, what, are they going to check the underwear?)

I'd suggest bringing all the docs and showing CBSA and saying it is all your stuff, and nicely letting them know it's actually your joint household stuff and she is now a PR and ... well it seemed like a lot of paperowrk to no purpose.(And you have her landing docs as backup just in case)

Note this will not apply to vehicles and possibly some professional stuff (if you're bringing, for example, a 12-ton lathe) might raise some questions. Regular household stuff of normal value you've owned for years, they will have zero interest.

muokoln

Jul 21, 2024
@armoured Would there be any issue with just delineating her stuff and my stuff separately when we first enter Canada, then showing her goods-to-follow form and my goods-to-follow form when I cross the border without her?

I could also bring a written letter from her saying I can bring in her stuff (which I think works for nexus, though I am not a nexus traveler).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured Would there be any issue with just delineating her stuff and my stuff separately when we first enter Canada, then showing her goods-to-follow form and my goods-to-follow form when I cross the border without her?

I could also bring a written letter from her saying I can bring in her stuff (which I think works for nexus, though I am not a nexus traveler).
If you're organized enough, do all the forms and ask when she lands if you can bring it in on her behalf. You could even call CBSA in advance and ask.

I wouldn't be surprised for them to tell you just bring it all in as your stuff. Partly depends how much stuff, too.

Note, I've written this understanding that you've been in USA for years and can bring all your stuff as personal goods.