+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bring Spouse to Canada, then do In-Canada class?

Jun 20, 2013
I live in South Korea. I am a Canadian citizen. My wife is Korean. I will sponsor her for PR. In-Country and Out-Country processing times are both 14 months.

Could I just bring her to Canada and do it in-country?

As a tourist she can only stay 6 months. Is there a longer term visa for her? She doesn't need to work or study (just take care of our baby).

Would she be able to enter on a one-way ticket?

Where could I arrange private medical coverage?

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
get her on trv and extend it while u sponsor , if u need help - i can refer to a known lawyer who can assist

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
terki said:
get her on trv and extend it while u sponsor , if u need help - i can refer to a known lawyer who can assist
South Koreans are visa-exempt, she will not need a TRV.

Who_is_Your_Daddy? said:

As a tourist she can only stay 6 months. Is there a longer term visa for her? She doesn't need to work or study (just take care of our baby).

Yes, you can bring her to Canada and apply inland (she should be fine to enter, though I will add that entry to Canada is never guaranteed). Just be aware that with inland, both of you must remain in Canada for the entire time, until she has her PR. And it is actually closer to 16 months total processing time right now, stage 1 is around 8 months (have a look at the inland thread).

If you apply inland, she needs to submit an Open Work Permit app along with the PR app to get Implied Status. This means she is allowed to stay in Canada without having to extend her visitor status. After you are approved to sponsor, she will have an OWP (she doesn't have to use it); this gives her status to stay while the PR app finishes processing.

If you apply outland, she will need to extend her visitor status around 5 months after arrival. She can ask for longer than 6 months; CIC usually has no issue giving a year when you show the PR app is being processed (so include copies of sponsor approval letter, fee receipt, file number etc).

She should be alright entering on a one-way; they might request proof of funds to show she can pay for a ticket out if she needs to. If you want to cover your bases, she can buy a fully refundable ticket out of Canada.

For medical coverage, this page has some options http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001254. There are several others as well, just Google it.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
In my experience return tickets are sometimes cheaper than 1 way tickets.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Who_is_Your_Daddy? said:
I live in South Korea. I am a Canadian citizen. My wife is Korean. I will sponsor her for PR. In-Country and Out-Country processing times are both 14 months.

Yes- you can apply in or out of Canada for PR. She would just keep renewing her visa until the PR is complete.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
* renew her visitor status NOT visa since Korea is visa exempt as another poster stated.