+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Visa or Implied status after PNP application??

lylecarlisle

Feb 1, 2014
Hi all - new here so do tick me off if I'm doing the wrong this. This is actually my first forum post ever...

Here's the situation:
  • I'm on a 1 year working holiday visa to Canada through the UK International Experience Canada program. It expires in April.
  • Applied and been accepted by BC PNP and received the certificate of acceptance through the skilled worker stream
  • Just ready to apply to CIC for my PR

I'm really confused about 'implied status' and 'bridging open visas' - I can't figure out if and which I need to apply to, and if I do... can I leave Canada (like a weekend trip to the USA) etc?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

blogger100

Dec 3, 2012
Sao Paulo
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
20/10/2017 - PCC
AOR Received.
06/10/2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
13/10/2017
Hey Lyle. The BC PNP office should be able to provide you a supporting letter so you can apply for a new work permit with it. This 'bridging work permit' can be valid from 1-2 years (entirely to the discretion of the officer). When you're on a implied status (especially with an expired work permit) you would be in trouble returning to Canada if you decide to leave for a weekend trip or something.

So I would suggest getting this supporting letter from the BC PNP office and heading to the border, you can apply for the bridging work permit right at the border on your way back from a weekend in the States for instance, or simply flagpole (going to the american border and getting a paper saying you left Canada). The work permit is issued on spot. Or you can apply online but that can take a couple of months.

Just make sure you get this new work permit before April or else you won't even be on implied status when applying for a new one, you'd be out of status and probably would have to pay $200 to restore your status on top of the $150 for the work permit.

I hope I could help

lylecarlisle

Feb 1, 2014
Blogger100,

You are a champion - so helpful.

One last thing... should I have my CIC application in progress? I haven't submitted that application yet, i'm just finalising the forms. Do you know it that makes a difference?

Thanks so much again. Filled with gratitude!

blogger100

Dec 3, 2012
Sao Paulo
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
20/10/2017 - PCC
AOR Received.
06/10/2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
13/10/2017
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I would first get the new work permit and then send your PR application to CIC. Once your application gets to CIC the first thing they're gonna check i think is your status in Canada, and if you're out of status they won't even process your application and God knows what they'll do. So first make sure you have the new work permit and then send your application to CIC for permanent residency.

Rocky_bombastic

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Regina-SK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th May '13
Doc's Request.
25th Nov '13
Nomination.....
11th Oct '13
AOR Received.
29th Dec '13 ( ECAS update to Application recieved on 12th Nov '13)
File Transfer...
RPRF request 15-May-2014
Med's Request
30th Dec '13
Med's Done....
07th Jan '14
Interview........
IN PROCESS ---> 2nd June '14. --- Decision made---> 23rd June '14
Passport Req..
July 3rd 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 15th 2014
LANDED..........
18th July 2014---> PR card received Sep 8th 2014
lylecarlisle said:
Blogger100,

You are a champion - so helpful.

One last thing... should I have my CIC application in progress? I haven't submitted that application yet, i'm just finalising the forms. Do you know it that makes a difference?

Thanks so much again. Filled with gratitude!
Hello Lylecarlisle,

Implied status is the status that you are in when you have put in an application and waiting for response from CIC. Lets say your permit expires on April and you applied for Status extension in March (one month before expiration) and if you still waiting for response from CIC after April you automatically go to Implied status in which you can continue working with the Same employer and cannot leave the country as you do not have VISA to come back in Canada.

The Bridging work permit can be Closed with the same employer and Open ( new guidelines released in August 2013). It does not matter because I applied for the PR first and then for my work permit extension. As long as you apply before your Status expires in Canada you are good. It doesnt really matter if you have already the Permanent Residency application or not.

Thanks hope this is helpful

lylecarlisle

Feb 1, 2014
@Rocky_bombastic - Thank you, I have some friends in a very similar position and they've asked me to pass along their gratitude, too. Thanks for clearing up the nuts and bolts of some of the terms. Once you understand them, it seems so obvious, but from the outside it's a whole new world of terms and acronyms!

@Blogger100 - thanks, too! I've got my support letter now and plan a spot of flagpolling this weekend.

Any advice on what I should take with me?

Thanks again to all!

blogger100

Dec 3, 2012
Sao Paulo
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
20/10/2017 - PCC
AOR Received.
06/10/2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
Sent with application
Med's Done....
13/10/2017
I would say basically your support letter, passaport and a letter from work.