+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit?

Apr 11, 2018
Hi guys,

So I am coming to the end of a 2 year International Experience Canada work permit, it expires on April 28th. I submitted a permanent residency application under Canadian Experience Class on April 17th which clearly will not be approved before the end of my current work permit.

Do I need to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit?

I am not planning to leave the country before my PR is approved.

I'm reading mixed things online and I don't see any clear route to apply for this on my sign in page.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2018
I can’t remember the exact details but I know I ended up applying for an open bridging work permit. That meant that I went onto implied status until it was approved, which took about 5 weeks and then once it was approved it was valid until my permanent residency was approved.

I seem to remember that implied status will only come into affect if you are on a work permit and applying for another work permit. Permanent residency is not a work permit, so you need the bridging work permit in order to get implied status.

Hope that helps!

wrandelva

Oct 2, 2018
I can’t remember the exact details but I know I ended up applying for an open bridging work permit. That meant that I went onto implied status until it was approved, which took about 5 weeks and then once it was approved it was valid until my permanent residency was approved.

I seem to remember that implied status will only come into affect if you are on a work permit and applying for another work permit. Permanent residency is not a work permit, so you need the bridging work permit in order to get implied status.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot for your reply!