+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit

karenose

Apr 26, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have few questions about bridging open work permit.

I have applied for CEC in January (with NOC1243 medical receptionist) and received an email of acknowledgement of receipt of my application. My current post graduate work permit is expiring in July/14.

1) Would I need to do an upfront medical examination? I believe people with health service field occupations may need to do it. I work as a receptionist at a sports med clinic with physiotherapists and sports med doctor. So I'm not technically a health care provider but I do work at a clinic. Should I apply without it and see if they request it? If it delays BOWP, can I still work at the clinic until the decision is made?
-If I have to do an upfront medical examination, do I need to do another for my immigration?

2) I'm trying to apply online and I need some guidance.
-It asks for recent pictures but it is not on the document check list (imm5556). do I need to include this?
-Do I add a copy of acknowledgement of receipt of my application in "Add a letter of explanation" tab?
-Other than IMM5710, copies of passport and work permit, digital photo, schedule 1 , copy of acknowledgement of receipt of my application, do I need to add anything else? I noticed that there is no place to indicate about upfront medical examination.

3) In, IMM5710 form, do I fill out info on my current employer for "details of my prospective employer?

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :)

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
Hello there,
First of all I wish that you have successfully managed to get your extension. I am sorry I dont have a reply to your question rather I am wondering if I am wondering if based on your experience you can reply to few of my doubts.
I am Open work permit holder which is due to expire in 4 months. I have Ontario Provincial Nomination and have applied for PNP based PR. I have Acknowledgement of Receipt. Having applied already you might be aware that when I check to apply for bridging work permit there are two options a) paper based b) online. Paper based check list asks for LMIA which I dont have and obviously if I had that I would have got my PR long back in express entry. Where as when I select appropriate options to check online eligibility it says I need "Letter of Support from Province or Territory". What I knew was that if my work permit is expiring in next 4 months, and I have applied for PR and have AOR I am eligible for bridging work permit. Can you please tell me what is right way to go based on your experience or should I contact an immigration lawyer?

karenose

Apr 26, 2014
Hi,
if you only have 4 months left on your work permit and you think you need to wait longer than that for your immigration, you should definitely apply for bridging working permit.
As you can see I did it a long time ago so I don't remember the details but I think I did it online using the letter of acknowledgement.
If you already have applied for your immigration yourself, you can probably do the application of bridging work permit yourself.
However, if you don't feel comfortable, you should ask for help from a lawyer.
Make sure to do it ahead of time so you even if you make a mistake, you still have time to fix it and plus you don't have to worry about not having a visa.
It is very doable but I think back then I was confused about the application form because was there was no separate option for the bridging work permit application.
If I remember correctly, it was something like... extending work permit.. but mind you that was a couple of years ago so the application form might have been changed.
Make sure to ask "Citizens and Immigration Canada" about your questions regarding the application.
I hope this answers your question. I know it's very nerve-racking to do it on your own but you can do it!
Good luck!

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
Thank you for your very prompt reply. Yes I applied my PR application on my own. Here I am trying to figure out how can I apply online which will make sure I can get my extended work permit quickly.
After going through questionnaire CIC generated a check list for me. Apart from normal documents it ask for these two documents which I am not sure about.

1) Letter of Support from Province or Territory (pressing on ? tells "Letter from the nominating province or territory that supports the issuance of the work permit.")
2) Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered: (pressing on ? tells "If your intended occupation in Canada is regulated, provide evidence that the responsible provincial, territorial or professional body has granted you the required licence or certification.")

Now these two are required documents and for application to be submitted I need to have them even if my occupation is not regulated (right now i dont even know if software engineer is regulated or not)

If you remember anything related to this and can tell me that would be great.
Thanks a lot for your help so far!

karenose

Apr 26, 2014
I guess...
1) means you should already have a valid work permit and that you should show them a copy of it?
2) I think this might only apply to jobs that are regulated (something you need to have licence for or need to be registered for)

But these are just my guesses...