+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit for Spouse with expiring PGWP

nacho_betsim

Apr 5, 2017
Hello,

I've seen a lot of posts on bridging open work permit for a spouse but I haven't found one that answers the peculiarities of my case.

My common-law partner has been invited to apply to PR under the Experess Entry and i'm in her application as a dependent. With this step out of the way I'm now looking into staying in Canada as we wait for a response.

I'm in a bit of a problem because my Post Graduate Work Permit expires mid May, and as a dependent I can't apply for the OBWP by myself. And my partner (her PGWP expires in mid July) is currently out of the country and won't be back until June so she can't apply before mine expires because she doesn't meet the requirement of be currently in Canada.

I'm not really sure what to do or what my options really are, but I definitely don't want to leave and most important lose my job.

Any help or tips will be most greatly appreciated!

Ignacio

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
What country are you from? This could determine some options, beyond the usual "ask your employer to apply for an LMIA."

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK, so unfortunately, no NAFTA eligibility, and no designated IEC program. You could look into IEC program by going through a "recognized organization..."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/ros.asp

... but I suspect there won't be enough time, and even if you are eligible and succeeded, you might not be able to stay with the same employer.

Unfortunately, unless your wife returns and you can submit your BOWP/SOWP applications together (before your WP expires), you may have to take a leave of absence... With a PR application pending, you do not want to risk overstaying or working without authorization...