+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit after submitting Express Entry

tekamutt

Jan 7, 2019
Hey guys,
I submitted my Express Entry application a couple of days ago and am now waiting for it to be processed. I understand this could take several months. My current visa expires at the end of January, so I want to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit so I can extend my stay while I wait.

But I can't figure out how to apply for it using the online system. I just get sent round in circles applying for new permits, when all I need is to extend my current one.

Has anyone else been in this situation and successfully managed to get a BOWP using the CIC system? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks for any help.

tekamutt

Jan 7, 2019
Sorry for the bump. Just really hoping somebody else is in the same situation or has figured it out!

tekamutt

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks, but the 'Apply Online' button on that page simply links you to the online CIC system, and from there, the system just doesn't give any option for the bridging permit. That's what I'm asking about, wondering if anybody else has managed to successfully apply for a bridging permit online using their CIC account?

tekamutt

Jan 7, 2019
Yeah that doesn't appear as an option either. The way the system works is it asks you a bunch of questions to see if you are eligible for a permit. But for me, since I have already submitted my Express Entry application, at the end of the wizard, it simply says "You already have an application." and that's it. It never gives me the option to apply for an open permit, Bridging or otherwise. It's really frustrating!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
If the tool doesn't give you an option for open work permit, that means you answered some of the questions wrong.
Answer you are a worker, plan to stay temporarily in Canada for more than 6 months and you have been approved in principle for your PR application.

tekamutt

Jan 7, 2019
Ah thank you so much for your expertise. I had been choosing the "Permanent" option, instead of "Tempoarily - more than 6 months". After choosing Tempoary I have managed to apply for an open visa. Thanks again!