+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BREAKING NEWS Bill C-6 finally passed in HoC, Now reading in Senate

Natan

May 22, 2015
ipfreely said:
1. It's the very point because its part of the asking person's main concern.
2. Permanently deported, how grievous of an offense would cause such?
3. Using an alias and divulging the criminal offense of John Doe cannot affect the persons privacy. Hence, using an alias. Thus, such question can be asked.

Lastly, why in good heavens others are reacting and not the main person in the topic amazes me.
Their concern is that, because their husband has been deported permanently, it will reflect on IRCC's perception of their "intent to continue to reside in Canada", and that the permanence of their husband's living abroad might invite suspicion that they do not intend to continue to reside in Canada. Providing our opinions on whether their husband's deportation will heighten IRCC's scrutiny of their application does not require us to know why their husband was deported.

I would imagine that permanent deportations represent a relatively small percentage of total deportations, and that divulging too much information may "out" this person, despite hiding behind an alias. (My immigration path has been such that were I to divulge certain particulars, my case would be immediately identifiable -- and my alias wouldn't fool anyone over at IRCC.)

Natan

May 22, 2015
Saga said:
I think you are actually right. Reading what is specifically mentioned on the link and I quote:

"Applicants must hold this intention to reside if granted citizenship from the time they sign their application to the time they take the Oath. The intent to reside is required to obtain citizenship but no longer applies once citizenship is granted. Once citizenship is granted, a citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada as guaranteed by the Charter."

Further proves that one should not be leaving the country while his/her citizenship application is being reviewed. They need to show intent by residing in Canada for the duration of the processing which I think might take up to a year (or so mentioned on IRCC's website).
But one should be very aware of the law and how it is interpreted as I have known a lot of Canadians who lived in the Gulf countries (especially Dubai) who have been heavily questioned and investigated on their intents of holding the Canadian citizenship after entering the country or renewing their Canadian passport after long periods of residence outside of Canada (even under the old immigration and citizenship laws). In other words, it is highly recommended that you don't take anything for granted and don't assume that because it is mentioned as such on teh IRCC website that you will not be questioned and investigated on your intentions in the future.
Unless the "intent to reside" clause is revoked "as if it were never there", one cannot guarantee how the clause will be enforced in the future. While all citizens have full rights of mobility, how one exercises those rights, after becoming a citizen, may provide IRCC with cause to question whether one's "intent to reside" was a misrepresentation, at the time it was made. Once it becomes a question of whether citizenship was obtained by misrepresentation, IRCC may use how one exercised their mobility rights as part of the evidence evincing misrepresentation.

We have all read news articles about how Canadians find out that they are not Canadians because of some obscure clause, action (or lack thereof) in the distant past. Whether it's some 50 year old trying to get their first passport to travel abroad, or some 80 year old trying to access healthcare benefits, they are informed by Government (and often astonished at the information) that they are not Canadian citizens. I've read of at least a dozen such cases in the past five years or so -- some of them cited right here on this discussion board.

Canada's citizenship laws are a convoluted, tangled mess. Instead of rewriting a simplified, streamlined law; Parliament enacts "patches" that fix one part of the law, while breaking another part. Is it possible for any one citizen to fully comprehend our citizenship laws? Perhaps it is, but I have never met such a one.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ipfreely said:
That is why I'm asking her and never have asked you what is the male spouse criminal conviction.

Plus, my curiosity is of no concern of yours. Your not included in the party. If ever the poster say I don't feel comfortable divulging such information to me or this thread, I will cease and disease from asking.

Many loves to decide on behalf of another without the latters consent is so ancient monarchy.
Please don't be offended. We are all discussing and exchanging in a public platform and we just expressed our views regarding your question, as witnesses of that public exchange.

Smileyyael

Dec 27, 2016
Thank you for all the valuable information you shared.I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the new bill is going to push through next year.And sorry for not giving more details about what happened to him.I'm just being careful. what he had done had already affected our lives big time.

zsy54531

Nov 27, 2013
So, what kind of impact do you guys think the newly appointed minister Ahmed Hussen will have on passing this bill?
Speeding up or slowing down even more?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
zsy54531 said:
So, what kind of impact do you guys think the newly appointed minister Ahmed Hussen will have on passing this bill?
Speeding up or slowing down even more?
Why would he have any impact on passing this bill? He doesn't work in the senate committee

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
itsmyid said:
Why would he have any impact on passing this bill? He doesn't work in the senate committee
Ministers does have impact- reminding and pushing and going in front of committee to tell them why it is important that government want this bill passed.

If Minister shows lacluster interest, good luck Senators to show any interest.

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
Let's hope everyone does whatever it takes so that we'll all be hit by a pleasant surprise and that the C6 will pass and be implemented by Canada Day 2017 :)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
when it will pass, it will be in the news everywhere.
People are getting too anxious and excited over something that moves like a turtle.

m81

Star Member
Apr 7, 2012
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney (NS)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2015
AOR Received.
09-03-2016
Med's Request
12-07-2016
Med's Done....
29-07-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
LANDED..........
In-land
SENATE OF CANADA

Committee

2/15/2017 4:15 PM
Social Affairs, Science and Technology
Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act

2/16/2017 10:30 AM
Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
m81 said:
SENATE OF CANADA

Committee

2/15/2017 4:15 PM

2/16/2017 10:30 AM
Looks C6 going to pass soon