+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Breakdown of the relationship query

tortiecat86

Jul 22, 2023
Hi everyone! Asking for my friend cause she doesn’t have social media. She’s already a PR under common-law sponsorship.

Her and her common-law partner unfortunately broke up recently. They submitted a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union with their application. These are her concerns:
-Do they have to update IRCC regarding the change because she saw an IMM form called Statutory Declaration of Severance of Common-Law Union?
-Are there any other actions needed to be taken after the separation? Especially immigration wise.
-Will the breakdown of the relationship affect her citizenship application in the future?

Hoping for some clarity. Thank you so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone! Asking for my friend cause she doesn’t have social media. She’s already a PR under common-law sponsorship.

Her and her common-law partner unfortunately broke up recently. They submitted a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union with their application. These are her concerns:
-Do they have to update IRCC regarding the change because she saw an IMM form called Statutory Declaration of Severance of Common-Law Union?
-Are there any other actions needed to be taken after the separation? Especially immigration wise.
-Will the breakdown of the relationship affect her citizenship application in the future?

Hoping for some clarity. Thank you so much!
If she is already a PR (and not exceedingly recently), no steps to take with respect to immigration. No, it won't affect citizenship app.

tortiecat86

Jul 22, 2023
If she is already a PR (and not exceedingly recently), no steps to take with respect to immigration. No, it won't affect citizenship app.
Thank you for the reply. She became a PR on Sept 2023 and they broke up just this June, is that a red flag?? Thank you again

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply. She became a PR on Sept 2023 and they broke up just this June, is that a red flag?? Thank you again
I shouldn't think so. It sounds like no reason to believe that the relationship fell apart before or anything like that.

Based, of course, only on info you have shared.