+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP

sch1379

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,
I am working on closed work permit and my project is going to end in another 2 weeks. I have already applied for PR with PNP on oct 2019 and it is in progress. Can someone please clarify the below questions.

Am i eligible to apply for BOWP?

Can i stay legally in canada after my project is complete? or Do I need to go back home country.

Please note that my current closed work permit is valid until March 2021.

Reactions: kcsg

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Is your provincial nomination sponsored by / tied to your employer in any way.
If not, you can apply for BOWP. If yes, you need to obtain a support letter from the province and apply for another closed work permit

sch1379

Jun 24, 2019
Do you mean employment restrictions on nomination?
If yes, there are NO restrictions on my nomination.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Then you can apply for BOWP.

Your permit expires in 2021? Was that a typo. If it's still valid for a year, it's too soon to apply

sch1379

Jun 24, 2019
Yes it expires in 2021. But my current employer will relieve me in next 2 to 3 weeks.
My question is what should i do in this case.

sch1379

Jun 24, 2019
One more question. If i lose my job with current employer and if i apply for a BOWP, Can i apply for jobs and work with acknowledgment receipt of BOWP application.

I heard from one of my friend that we can apply for other jobs and also can work with BOWP application acknowledgment receipt. Is it True?

kcsg

Apr 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

I know its an old thread, but I found myself in the same situation.

I am currently on a closed work permit (ICT), and my project got prematurely ended due to layoffs. I have been told by the employer that I have 15 days to find another project or I need to resign or travel back to my home country.

Current Situation:
1. On a closed work permit valid till mid-2024
2. Holding PNP Nomination (non-employer-specific)
3. Waiting for the PR, file submitted 3 months back in Dec 2022 in express entry under pnp

Questions:

Q 1. I already applied for BOWP, however, I received an update on bowp application that "WP-EXT except PGWP" letter, soon after applying 3 days, which states that :

```
Dear MR. XXXXX

This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship

Canada (IRCC) on _____________________ (yyyy/mm/dd).

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number XXXXXXX as proof that you
are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until MM July , 2023
or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.
This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee
Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you
will no longer be authorized to continue working.

```

Q 2. Why they have mentioned its specific to the employer and occupation, I have applied for an open work permit in my IMM5710e, if it is specific to an employer then it would be of no use.

Q3. Will my work permit be open/closed, and do they mail it or do I need to visit the IRCC office?

I am really worried, if you have any information about this please reply.

Thanks

kcsg

Apr 2, 2023
One more question. If i lose my job with current employer and if i apply for a BOWP, Can i apply for jobs and work with acknowledgment receipt of BOWP application.

I heard from one of my friend that we can apply for other jobs and also can work with BOWP application acknowledgment receipt. Is it True?
Can you please tell, what was your outcome ? did you got the OpenWP ? or Not ?? PLZ reply.