+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP eligibility requirements - please read.

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello,

I need explanation on this BOWP requirement as per the website that I don't understand:

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.

Does this mean:
1) That I can apply for BOWP once I have received my AOR?
2) What does it mean when they talk about "Eligibility CEC" decision has been set to "PASSED". Does this mean that my documents are in perfect order and I will get my PR?

Also,

Kindly have a look at the following 4 parameters for BOWP:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

Questions:
1) my situation is that I am on a closed work permit until September 2014 and I have been laid off last week, it is very difficult for me to find an employer to give me an LMO. So, once I receive my AOR can I request the CIO to give me a BOWP even if my work permit is not expiring in 4 months? If so, will he give it to me?
What are my options?

2) This question is the same that I have asked above, what is POSITIVE ELIGIBILITY DECISION on the PR application?

Please advice.

Thank you so much.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
1) With CEC, yes, it means you need AOR to apply.

2) "Passed" also counts. But if you have AOR you can ignore this.

---

1) No, you have to be within 4 months of expiry date. It is unlikely but you might be able to explain your case and try it, worst case they refuse to give you an open work permit. Also costs $150.

2) AOR

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jake21 said:
1) my situation is that I am on a closed work permit until September 2014 and I have been laid off last week, it is very difficult for me to find an employer to give me an LMO. So, once I receive my AOR can I request the CIO to give me a BOWP even if my work permit is not expiring in 4 months? If so, will he give it to me?
What are my options?
You won't qualify for a BOWP until May 2014.

If you want to work in Canada, you will have to find an employer who is willing to go through the LMO process or wait for your CEC application to be finalized.

jake21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you Scyll,

I know that I will have to wait until 4 months before my work permit expires but as you know that it is very difficult to find an employer who will be willing to go through the LMO process and I know that my unemployment does not affect the PR process under CEC.

But, do you think that once I receive my AOR if I send a nice cover letter to the CIO to issue me the OPEN WORK PERMIT earlier so that I could actually start working - is there a chance that he will approve?

Please advice

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Rules and conditions are there for a reason. If they can make it an exception for you because you wrote a nice letter, they will potentially be having to make "exceptions" for everyone. Why even have rules and conditions then?

Receiving the AOR just means you are eligible for the application, but it's not a guarantee you will get it. It's just like, when you go for an exam in school, just because you are eligible to sit for that exam doesn't mean you will get 100%. You might only get 40% and still fail. It's the same thing when it comes to our CEC applications.

Try to find a job that is LMO exempted
Change your condition
Or go back home, find a job and wait till you get your CEC approved.

jake21 said:
Thank you Scyll,

I know that I will have to wait until 4 months before my work permit expires but as you know that it is very difficult to find an employer who will be willing to go through the LMO process and I know that my unemployment does not affect the PR process under CEC.

But, do you think that once I receive my AOR if I send a nice cover letter to the CIO to issue me the OPEN WORK PERMIT earlier so that I could actually start working - is there a chance that he will approve?

Please advice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jake21 said:
I think there is zero chance it will be approved. You don't qualify and CIC doesn't make exceptions.

silentThunder

Dec 2, 2012
Yes, you can with an explanation letter. Your close permit is although valid, but you dont have a job. You can attach the relevant letter from employer mentioning your last date and you will get a open work permit based on AOR.
The moot point for open work permit is to facilitate applicants who are here continue till the decision is made on their application.

So, you have to prove that your PR application is approved in principle. So, you need an AOR to apply for bowp.

jake21 said:
Hello,

I need explanation on this BOWP requirement as per the website that I don't understand:

CEC: the “Eligibility CEC” decision has been set to “Passed” or the Acknowledgement of Receipt letter/e-mail has been sent from CIO.

Does this mean:
1) That I can apply for BOWP once I have received my AOR?
2) What does it mean when they talk about "Eligibility CEC" decision has been set to "PASSED". Does this mean that my documents are in perfect order and I will get my PR?

Also,

Kindly have a look at the following 4 parameters for BOWP:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

Questions:
What are my options?

2) This question is the same that I have asked above, what is POSITIVE ELIGIBILITY DECISION on the PR application?

Please advice.

Thank you so much.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
silentThunder said:
Yes, you can with an explanation letter. Your close permit is although valid, but you dont have a job. You can attach the relevant letter from employer mentioning your last date and you will get a open work permit based on AOR.
The moot point for open work permit is to facilitate applicants who are here continue till the decision is made on their application.

So, you have to prove that yo
ur PR application is approved in principle. So, you need an AOR to apply for bowp.
Silent thunder do u know of anyone who applied for a bowp with jake21's situation and received it successfully.

silentThunder

Dec 2, 2012
Winterfox said:
Silent thunder do u know of anyone who applied for a bowp with jake21's situation and received it successfully.
yes. That's why responded. Since this is a tricky situation and the BOWP details does not cover anything about it.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Wow silent thunder thanks for the news
I can see some hope for Jake and myself.
Oh and when I filed for my bowp I totally forgot to mention any document that shows I was load off. However I have mentioned in my cover letter that I was laid off in step 2012.
Would the processing office have a problem cos I did not attach any docs showing this or can he see my details on his system already? ?

silentThunder

Dec 2, 2012
Winterfox said:
Wow silent thunder thanks for the news
I can see some hope for Jake and myself.
Oh and when I filed for my bowp I totally forgot to mention any document that shows I was load off. However I have mentioned in my cover letter that I was laid off in step 2012.
Would the processing office have a problem cos I did not attach any docs showing this or can he see my details on his system already? ?
No idea about that. But, if they have questions, they call or email you. I did not understand when u said, "can he see my details on his system already"
The guy's example I was giving had mentioned that he got laid off although he has valid work permit (beyond 4 months) in his explanation letter.

Hope it helps.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
I meant to say that CIC has all our details available on their system from our roe to other docs associated with us foreign workers ...so I'm assuming they can see my roe and find out that I was infarct laid off.
Jake and myself have our work permits valid till 2014..but they r bound

GinnyPi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Winterfox said:
I meant to say that CIC has all our details available on their system from our roe to other docs associated with us foreign workers ...so I'm assuming they can see my roe and find out that I was infarct laid off.
Jake and myself have our work permits valid till 2014..but they r bound
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

ROEs are not administered by CIC, so CIC officers would not have access. In Canada we have privacy laws and your information can only be used for the purposes for which it is collected. ROEs are not issued for immigration purposes, so an immigration officer would not have it unless you provided it to them. ROEs are administered by Service Canada.

Another example: T4s. If CIC officers have access to everything, why can't they just pull these from their systems instead of asking us to send them in as part of our applications?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
guelphmm said:
Hi jake21,

If you have work permit that is good upto Sep 2013, you can apply for BOWP (open work permit) when you in May/June depending on exact expire date.
His work permit is good to Sep 2014 (not 2013).