+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border

D-gut

Dec 9, 2012
Hi there i just recently got married to an american girl. I am a canadian and we are sending in the outland application over the christmas holidays when i go to see her. Questions i have are after the application has been sent in can she come to visit me and stay until the application has been approved. What is the proper process and applications i may need to have her come here before she gets her PR card

CDNUSCOUPLE

Jul 27, 2012
Before you actually apply, border officials tend to always ask a lot of questions about what your plans are, who will be moving where, what your jobs are in your respective countries, and how long you will be staying in the country you're entering. Once you say you apply, they know you're serious and tend you let you through more easily.

Technically, your wife has 6 months in Canada before she has to leave. If you want to stay longer than this, you can get a visitor record. Or get a temporary resident visa. If your wife goes home to visit family for a week or so and then goes back to Canada, when she re-enters, if she is let in, she would get another 6 months. Each visit is independent of each (confirmed in a call to CBSA).

When your wife enters Canada, the border officials will always ask how long her visit will be. If she says, "I don't know", that she quit her job, and she is just going to live with you, she might be denied entry. Border guards want to know that you have a plan. Because let's say that your application is not approved, they'll think she might then live in Canada illegally, that she won't go back. They want to know that your wife still has ties back in the US. Don't show up with all her stuff, planning to permanently move and expect to be let in.

Always know when she will be going back to the US. I think that's the most important thing.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
Since you are married you may have more of a problem getting into the US then she will getting into Canada, there have been several news stories about Canaidans being denied because they were married to an American, it made my husband nervous every time he crossed lol. I would have a copy of the application and receipt showing fee's paid when entering US just so they don't give you any hassle. You can not apply for a temporary resident visa, being American she is visa exempt. This is what I did to obtain my Visitor's record. Mainly when she is ready to come you should travel into Canada together, if shes ready bring her with you now doesn't matter if your application is filed just as long as the fee's are paid have your receipt. I had everything done when my husband picked me up but the application was not mailed yet... When you get to the border tell the person in the booth (if your driving) desk (if flying) that you and your wife just married and you would like a VR, s/he will send you into immigration, once there let them know you just married and you are preparing your application, you have paid the fees and you would like a VR so that your wife can remain with your during the process. They will ask to see the marriage certificate and the receipt they may even ask to see what you have prepared so have all that you can with you. They asked my husband 2 questions 1 Is this your wife? 2 Can you support her during her stay? They will explain she can not work or study until she has the proper documents and issue a VR. They are usually anywhere from 6 months to a year some have gotten more, you could suggest that posted processing times are 12 months and they may give it to you. I casually mentioned it and was given 8 months IO said thats all I should need and he was right we were done the process in 7 months. Good Luck! and Congrats to both of you!