+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border Crossing Together For Vacation

internationalvelvet

Jun 13, 2012
My spouse and I got married last year. She is from BC and I'm from Michigan. She is going to visit me next month to work on our paperwork to file and send at the end of her visit. During her visit we're planning to drive to Ottawa to visit friends. Visit is 6 days/5 nights and we've got a hotel booked and will have a printout of our reservations.

Prior to getting married we would always say we were friends whenever we crossed the border - being two females, no one ever assumed we were a couple. Do we say that we're married? Just say we're friends? We still have different last names. She will have her return plane ticket from Michigan to BC with her, but we don't have a completed application for her sponsoring me and didn't know if marital status even comes up when your passport is scanned. How should we handle border crossing?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if you are married, you tell the border agent you are married (if they even ask). If you tell them you are single when you are really married, that can cause you some future problems. They don't outwordly ask relationship status. They ask the purpose of your trip. When your wife enters, she needs to tell the truth which is "I'm going to canada to family and friends". It's not illegal to travel to Canada. Short trips shouldn't be feared. For the most part, i bet there will be little issue with your wife crossing the border, as long as the truth is told.

When you travel to OTtawa from BC, I don't think you need to leave canada and cross the border. You are not going to encounter border security on a flight from within canada, so i'm confused why you are so worried about traveling for your trip?

internationalvelvet

Jun 13, 2012
She is flying to Michigan where I live and visiting for a few days. Then we're driving together up to Ottawa for six days to visit friends. Then driving back to Michigan for a week and she'll be flying back to BC from Michigan.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
internationalvelvet said:
She is flying to Michigan where I live and visiting for a few days. Then we're driving together up to Ottawa for six days to visit friends. Then driving back to Michigan for a week and she'll be flying back to BC from Michigan.
you are going on a 6 day trip to ottawa together. they aren't going to be concerned if a married couple is taking a vacation and booked a hotel room in a city they are not from. i'm going to guess it will be an easy travel. Generally with flying, if there is a return ticket, visitors aren't going to experience issues for a 6 day trip. Stop worrying and enjoy your trip. I'm actually in ottawa now. the weather is beautiful!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Since it is the Canadian that is doing all the flying then the only issue with flying is making sure she can get into the USA without problems. Since you are driving back as a couple crossing for a weeks vacation is not going to be an issue. You will likely hear the standard questions: "where do you live", "where are you going?", "How long will you be staying?". Because both of you will be traveling together and using 2 countries passports be prepared for BOTH of you to have to answer these same questions. Don't let one answer for the other if possible as they sometimes frown upon that and want an answer out of the person they are addressing.

I wouldn't stress it too much because same sex marriage is perfectly legal all over Canada they are quite used to it, so if they ask, you can easily say you are traveling with your wife for vacation in Ottawa for a week and then will be returning to the US. They might even ask if you have plans to apply for PR. If they do, then be honest with them. They don't bite, unless you try to lie to them or sneak around, then they bite HARD! LOL