+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth Certificate for Parents?

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Hi guys,

Was reading the IMM5771e checklist for the documents needed for sponsoring my parents in case I get pulled up in the lottery (hopefully) :)

I'm a PR and pending my citizenship in Canada; I have no other siblings. I will be sponsoring only my parents.
With regards to this, when I was reading the above form I got a little confused.
I definitely need to submit my birth certificate as I am the sponsor.
As far as my parents' birth certificates are concerned, do I need to submit them? The form seemed a little vague about that.
They were both born in the 1950s in India and don't have a birth certificate as it wasn't needed back then.
They have all their other documents like school certificate, PAN card, passport etc. which has the correct date of birth mentioned, but no birth certificate.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience around that.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hi guys,

Was reading the IMM5771e checklist for the documents needed for sponsoring my parents in case I get pulled up in the lottery (hopefully) :)

I'm a PR and pending my citizenship in Canada; I have no other siblings. I will be sponsoring only my parents.
With regards to this, when I was reading the above form I got a little confused.
As far as my parents' birth certificates are concerned, do I need to submit them? The form seemed a little vague about that.
They were both born in the 1950s in India and don't have a birth certificate as it wasn't needed back then.
They have all their other documents like school certificate, PAN card, passport etc. which has the correct date of birth mentioned, but no birth certificate.

Where in IMM5771e, the birth certificate of principle applicant and his/her spouse, if applicable, are asked?

GokulGuruprasad

Oct 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Where in IMM5771e, the birth certificate of principle applicant and his/her spouse, if applicable, are asked?
Proof of principal applican't relationship to sponsor:
Photocopy of the sponsor's birth certificate ---> I presume this would be my birth certificate (I have this)

If you are sponsoring the mother, father or parent of your mother, father or parent, you must also include the following:
Photocopy of your mother/father/parent's birth certificate ---> This is what confused me; sounds like I need to include parent's birth certificate only if I'm sponsoring my grandparents. Is my understanding correct? Or do I need to include the parent's birth certificate even if I'm sponsoring only them (grandparents not being sponsored/deceased)? And dunno why they have to say that in a roundabout way...

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
For me its clear that,
Proof of principal applican't relationship to sponsor:
Photocopy of the sponsor's birth certificate ---> I presume this would be my birth certificate (I have this)
"Birth certificate" here is of sponsor's (son/daughter in Canada)

If you are sponsoring the mother, father or parent of your mother, father or parent, you must also include the following:
Photocopy of your mother/father/parent's birth certificate ---> This is what confused me; sounds like I need to include parent's birth certificate only if I'm sponsoring my grandparents. Is my understanding correct? Or do I need to include the parent's birth certificate even if I'm sponsoring only them (grandparents not being sponsored/deceased)? And dunno why they have to say that in a roundabout way...
"Birth certificate" here is of sponsor's mother/father if the sponsor is sponsoring his/her grandparent/s.

Last edited:

rvjoshi143

Oct 16, 2023
Can you please give me information, do my parents need birth certificates or I need to upload my certificate in Canada. This is very confusing because it’s not clear in form whose birth certificates I need to submit. As my parents born 1955 and impossible to get birth certificate in India

faaarii

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Can you please give me information, do my parents need birth certificates or I need to upload my certificate in Canada. This is very confusing because it’s not clear in form whose birth certificates I need to submit. As my parents born 1955 and impossible to get birth certificate in India
One would only need parents birth certificate if you are sponsoring "YOUR GRANDPARENTS"

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I just looked at the 2023 Document checklist.
It has the exact wordings as posted above:

In part A item 5. Proof of sponsor's relationship to principal applicant.
It said "Upload the sponsor's brith certificate."

And if you are sponsoring your grandparents, you must aslo include the following:
"Upload your mother/father/parent's birth certificate.

So as responded above, ONLY if you are sponsoring your grand parents, you need your parents birth certificate.

Where did you see that you need to include principle applicant's birth certificate?

Reactions: ps2207
Jul 25, 2024
I just looked at the 2023 Document checklist.
It has the exact wordings as posted above:

In part A item 5. Proof of sponsor's relationship to principal applicant.
It said "Upload the sponsor's brith certificate."

And if you are sponsoring your grandparents, you must aslo include the following:
"Upload your mother/father/parent's birth certificate.

So as responded above, ONLY if you are sponsoring your grand parents, you need your parents birth certificate.

Where did you see that you need to include principle applicant's birth certificate?

It is in the guidelines:
Birth certificates
  • Make sure you upload a copy of your birth certificate, and (if you have included dependants in your application) the birth certificates of your family members under “Supporting documents” in your online application.
  • If you don’t have access to a birth certificate for someone you’re sponsoring, or the one you have doesn’t clearly show your relationship (for example, a name is incorrect), you can give a document that shows the relationship between you and your family member along with a letter of explanation. You should also still include a copy of your birth certificate.
  • If you are sponsoring the mother/father of your mother/father, you must include a photocopy of your mother/father’s birth certificate, to clearly show the relationship between the two of you (the sponsor and the grandparent).
  • If your child/parent relationship is through a legal adoption, upload a copy of the Final Adoption Order (and certified translation, if not in English or French) under “Supporting documents” in your online application. The officer processing your application will contact you if they need more information.
Note how YOU is referring to the applicant, no the sponsor. From here I understand that I should provide birth certificate of my parents (the applicants). However, it contradicts to what it says on the third bullet.

Jul 25, 2024
Hi guys,

Did you get an answer? Did you provide birth certificates of your parents when submitting your application? I have the same question as you had.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did you get an answer? Did you provide birth certificates of your parents when submitting your application? I have the same question as you had.
I think the easiest answer is usually applicants (principal and dependents) would include birth certificates. They do provide info on what other documents can be used instead of a birth certificate - i.e. Canada has had many immigratns from India including those without birth certificates.