+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

tuanzi

Jun 7, 2017
Sorry, I am a bit lost here about the new amendment. I have only one question in C-6: Is it still required to stay at least 183 days in one year during the years I stayed?

Millions thanks if any one can answer based on most updated amendment.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
My friend talked with some Liberal MPS

I am really sad to say you guys

Bill C6 will be in effect before Canadian Election

It will not be passed until next summer 2018

So sorry folks I feel bad too :(

thats so sad to true Liberal MPs saying that
This gets the "most reliable source of the year" award :)

You are aware that what you heard is something
- your friend told you
- that "some" mps told him
- that those MPs were under the most optimistic assumption told directly by an IRCC employee/the minister

This is already assuming that none of these details got lost on the way. Do you remember that "telephone game" you played when you were kids where someone told the next person what they heard from the previous person? That's what's happening here. (Sorry, I'm not sure how universal this game is over the world).

Meanwhile, the statement "Bill C6 will be in effect before Canadian Election" and "Bill C6 will be in effect within a year" don't even contradict each other.

As usual I make the disclaimer that I don't know it better. But I'd recommend no one freaks out over this. I don't know about your location, but weather is pretty nice in Toronto today. Just get some gelato and wait until the end of the week!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Also a reminder: Some months ago someone claimed that they heard directly from an IRCC employee that the bill is dead because of the amendments. Two months later, the bill is about to be discussed in the HoC.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
So you are admitting everyone has right whatever they want. LOL. Where is my right then? Did I say conservatives cared about immigrant? LOL, guess what, why I have used the word "Stupid" here?
I wish an actual moderator took care of this, but just so you know: Calling people stupid in an online forum is rude, unnecessary and never justified. You don't know the people on here personally. Actually, even if you did, you don't call people stupid.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

thats so sad to true Liberal MPs saying that
You are aware that your post got deleted over and over again, right?

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP

tuanzi

Jun 7, 2017
Also a reminder: Some months ago someone claimed that they heard directly from an IRCC employee that the bill is dead because of the amendments. Two months later, the bill is about to be discussed in the HoC.
For this bill, nothing is sure
I think this person should be banned from this forum for spreading obvious lies.
Just my opinion... I'm checking with the MP

https://twitter.com/MarceauBletard/status/872528797005905921
Caught an live Hero member, lol. Any hero member can answer my question in C-6:
Is it still required to stay at least 183 days in one year during the years I stayed?

lilen

Star Member
Nov 22, 2016

thats so sad and true Liberal MPs saying that
i think u have a problem with ur turbo lool you have to replace itt

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
For this bill, nothing is sure

Caught an live Hero member, lol. Any hero member can answer my question in C-6:
Is it still required to stay at least 183 days in one year during the years I stayed?

C-6 will reduce the number of days during which a person must have been physically present in Canada before applying for citizenship and provide that, in the calculation of the length of physical presence, the number of days during which the person was physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident may be taken into account;

https://lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?Language=E&ls=c6&Parl=42&Ses=1&source=library_prb
  • No longer are citizenship applicants required to be physically present in Canada for a minimum number of days within each year before applying. The provision requiring a presence in Canada of 183 days in each of four years in the six-year period considered for the citizenship application is repealed (clause 1(3)).This change has a consequential impact on section 14(1)(a) of the Citizenship Act, which provides for citizenship judges to review files where there may be concerns related to time spent in Canada (clause 8).
  • Clause 1(7) introduces a new way of counting days of physical presence that takes into account time spent in Canada as a temporary resident or a protected person (new section 5(1.001)). Prospective citizens accumulate a half-day for every day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or a protected person, up to a maximum of 365 days, and one day for each day spent in Canada as a permanent resident. For example, a foreign student present in Canada for two years, who completes a masters’ program and subsequently becomes a permanent resident, can count the time spent in Canada as a student (up to 365 days) towards the three-year total required.
  • Under Bill C-6, applicants must have permanent residence at the time of submitting their application for citizenship (clause 1(1)(c)).
  • Clause 1(8) repeals the requirement for applicants to have a continuous intention to reside in Canada from the time of application (section 5(1.1)).
  • Clause 7 removes the criterion of “intention to reside” from the requirements for resumption of citizenship in section 11 of the Citizenship Act.

C-24 is the current rule, so

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

"
Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least:

• 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application
  • 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply
When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident."

Last edited:

tuanzi

Jun 7, 2017
C-6 will reduce the number of days during which a person must have been physically present in Canada before applying for citizenship and provide that, in the calculation of the length of physical presence, the number of days during which the person was physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident may be taken into account;

https://lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament/LegislativeSummaries/bills_ls.asp?Language=E&ls=c6&Parl=42&Ses=1&source=library_prb
  • No longer are citizenship applicants required to be physically present in Canada for a minimum number of days within each year before applying. The provision requiring a presence in Canada of 183 days in each of four years in the six-year period considered for the citizenship application is repealed (clause 1(3)).This change has a consequential impact on section 14(1)(a) of the Citizenship Act, which provides for citizenship judges to review files where there may be concerns related to time spent in Canada (clause 8).
  • Clause 1(7) introduces a new way of counting days of physical presence that takes into account time spent in Canada as a temporary resident or a protected person (new section 5(1.001)). Prospective citizens accumulate a half-day for every day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or a protected person, up to a maximum of 365 days, and one day for each day spent in Canada as a permanent resident. For example, a foreign student present in Canada for two years, who completes a masters’ program and subsequently becomes a permanent resident, can count the time spent in Canada as a student (up to 365 days) towards the three-year total required.
  • Under Bill C-6, applicants must have permanent residence at the time of submitting their application for citizenship (clause 1(1)(c)).
  • Clause 1(8) repeals the requirement for applicants to have a continuous intention to reside in Canada from the time of application (section 5(1.1)).
  • Clause 7 removes the criterion of “intention to reside” from the requirements for resumption of citizenship in section 11 of the Citizenship Act.

C-24 is the current rule, so

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

"
Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least:

• 1,460 days during the six years right before the date you sign your application
  • 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply
When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident."
I know under current C-24, I need to present 183 days during each year before the date I apply. My main question is about the new amendment on C-6.

So based on my understanding from the most updated amendment you quoted, the provision of minimum requirement of stay (183days) will be (hopefully) repealed in the new C-6 bill.

As long as I lived 3/5 no matter how the stay is scattered before the date I applied, I am good to apply. Am I right?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I know under current C-24, I need to present 183 days during each year before the date I apply. My main question is about the new amendment on C-6.

So based on my understanding from the most updated amendment you quoted, the provision of minimum requirement of stay (183days) will be (hopefully) repealed in the new C-6 bill.

As long as I lived 3/5 no matter how the stay is scattered before the date I applied, I am good to apply. Am I right?
Yes.