+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
I think comparing the duration to be eligible to apply for citizenship to other European countries is irrelevant, Canada since day one based its development and prosperity on immigration, and attracting more people to come to Canada. having short duration to apply for citizenship was part of that strategy, now you come in and you change all the rules and you make it tougher for everyone, well ok fine its your right , make it 10 years if you want to, lets see how its going to be in the next 20 years ! my opinion is Canada will loose half of its population and they will start begging for people to come back - fee citizenship when you land-

Making it hard for some people due to some serious crimes, fraud etc is completely reasonable but stopping people from traveling because they earn more money in gulf countries or in the US is completely irrelevant . Not to forget that those people are always minority .

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Thanks Monalisa - that's what i meant to, Canada wouldn't having been Canada if there are no immigrants and it is in the ass of the world so attracting immigrants and make it easier for skilled people to live freely is always good.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
monalisa said:
No my friend, I disagree
USA 30 months physical but you apply after 5 years but you should visit usa once every 6 months for the second 30 months.

You cant compare canada to any european country, I come from Scotland.
You cant compare canada to Swiss to France or to UK .......Canada can be compared to Siberia

France population 70+ million and smaller than Quebec

I am sure you misunderstood me, I will explain to you
Canada area is bigger than Europe and population 33 million
Exactly, and it is a demand and supply relationship , if those countries have similar requirement to Canada , then more people will choose those places, and Canada would have to lower its requirements to attract enough people it needs

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
itsmyid said:
Exactly, and it is a demand and supply relationship , if those countries have similar requirement to Canada , then more people will choose those places, and Canada would have to lower its requirements to attract enough people it needs
But no doubt that canada is a wonderful and very nice place, but new immigrants find it hard . It takes 3 to 4 years to establish yourself here, sometimes less and sometimes more.

We are lucky to be here, specially we had chance to see that wonderful nature, as you move north of canada, there are lot of jobs, but people refuse to move north they think its bad place

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
monalisa said:
But no doubt that canada is a wonderful and very nice place, but new immigrants find it hard . It takes 3 to 4 years to establish yourself here, sometimes less and sometimes more.

We are lucky to be here, specially we had chance to see that wonderful nature, as you move north of canada, there are lot of jobs, but people refuse to move north they think its bad place
i agree

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
AmirATM said:
I think comparing the duration to be eligible to apply for citizenship to other European countries is irrelevant, Canada since day one based its development and prosperity on immigration, and attracting more people to come to Canada. having short duration to apply for citizenship was part of that strategy, now you come in and you change all the rules and you make it tougher for everyone, well ok fine its your right , make it 10 years if you want to, lets see how its going to be in the next 20 years ! my opinion is Canada will loose half of its population and they will start begging for people to come back - fee citizenship when you land-

Making it hard for some people due to some serious crimes, fraud etc is completely reasonable but stopping people from traveling because they earn more money in gulf countries or in the US is completely irrelevant . Not to forget that those people are always minority .
I think Canada would be fine, even if they raised the citizenship period to 10 years. Those people who truly wish to make Canada their home will continue to immigrate here. If we lose the people who wish to "earn more money in gulf countries or in the US", so be it. Those people would never have contributed much to Canada anyway, so we are better off without them burdening us with their kids and grandkids education, etc.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
torontosm said:
I think Canada would be fine, even if they raised the citizenship period to 10 years. Those people who truly wish to make Canada their home will continue to immigrate here. If we lose the people who wish to "earn more money in gulf countries or in the US", so be it. Those people would never have contributed much to Canada anyway, so we are better off without them burdening us with their kids and grandkids education, etc.
My friend oil is 50$ no more gulf countries, its dead as alberta . No more money in gulf , gulf countries are suffering

Now they are applying taxes there , you cant say that because you dont know what future is hiding for us.

there is new world crises on its way, BMO manager yesterday said that toronto might be hit by crises like usa 2009, people will not be able to pay their house debts and rent.

What youll do if you become jobless? would you work aboard if you get chance ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toronto-housing-bubble-1.3985497

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
Totally agree.

I also come from Scotland. You can totally compare the citizenship requirements for all countries. The changes occurred as a result of the system being abused.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monalisa said:
My friend oil is 50$ no more gulf countries, its dead as alberta . No more money in gulf , gulf countries are suffering

Now they are applying taxes there , you cant say that because you dont know what future is hiding for us.

there is new world crises on its way, BMO manager yesterday said that toronto might be hit by crises like usa 2009, people will not be able to pay their house debts and rent.

What youll do if you become jobless? would you work aboard if you get chance ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toronto-housing-bubble-1.3985497
If someone makes that decision - fine. It doesn't mean Canada should expedite citizenship to give them the benefits of being Canadian without paying into the system.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
jsm0085 said:
If someone makes that decision - fine. It doesn't mean Canada should expedite citizenship to give them the benefits of being Canadian without paying into the system.
Call millions of native born Canadians who enjoyed free education and healthcare but moved to the US for jobs right after graduating university (hence never paid a penny to the system) and tell them to pay it back

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itsmyid said:
Call millions of native born Canadians who enjoyed free education and healthcare but moved to the US for jobs right after graduating university (hence never paid a penny to the system) and tell them to pay it back
They were born here. This isn't a valid excuse to allow others to abuse the system. I have the same priv in my home country - that doesn't mean Canada should hand me citizenship on a plate.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jsm0085 said:
Incentives, yes. Citizenship - no. PR provides everything that's needed to make Canada a home. A 3 or 4 year wait for citizenship is not unreasonable.
That's a fair point, but a PR does not help international travel. You could say vacations abroad are a privilege but this also means inconvenience for work related travel. A scientist with a Canadian PR living and working in Canada may struggle to be able to attend conferences in the US because of visa logistics.

And the wait for citizenship is not 3 or 4 year. For international graduate students (who BTW often pay taxes and contribute to the nation by carrying out innovative research), it's a ~ 5 or 6 + (1 or 2) + 4 years. Roughly 6 years in grad school, then a year or 2 to become a PR, and then a further 4 years to become a citizen. If someone does an undergrad in Canada and continues to stay in academia, add 4 to 5 additional years.

Now you could say (and rightly so) that this is still a lot easier than the US, but in most European countries, there is a fixed path to citizenship, based on the years of naturalization.

Sadly the whole discourse on immigration in Canada seems to have little focus on the international students and academics educated in this country .

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ulysses said:
That's a fair point, but a PR does not help international travel. You could say vacations abroad are a privilege but this also means inconvenience for work related travel. A scientist with a Canadian PR living and working in Canada may struggle to be able to attend conferences in the US because visa logistics.

And the wait for citizenship is not 3 or 4 year. For international graduate students (who BTW often pay taxes and contribute to the nation by carrying out innovative research), it's a ~ 5 or 6 + (1 or 2) + 4 years. Roughly 6 years in grad school, then a year or 2 to become a PR, and then a further 4 years to become a citizen. If someone does an undergrad in Canada and continues to stay in academia, add 4 to 5 years.

Now you could say (and rightly so) that this is still a lot easier than the US, but in most European countries, there is a fixed path to citizenship, based on the years of naturalization.

Sadly the whole discourse on immigration in Canada seem to have little focus on the international students and academics educated in this country .
I totally agree and value the points you have made. I just feel the tones of some of these posts are a little off. I can't wait to have my Canadian passport - but I'm willing to wait and I have, and will continue to, pay into the system.

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
torontosm said:
I wish every one has your thinking, this is the reasonable attitude, the people ho are getting citizenship and not live in Canada are minority however, some Cons disagree with you, they still think it is abuse of the system and they have to stop those second class Canadians abusing the system..well make it harder for them to get citizenship, no one is stopping you. But as i said, even the people who want to make Canada home wouldn't make it home if they have to wait 10 years. I am quite sure about that, they will go to Australia or New zealand instead .

oh you think its going to be fine if they make it 10 years , we both guessing but first let the government stop the pr campaign to bring people to Canada to start with ...too tempting ... second class immigrants are a big money for Canada.. You can't have your cake and eat it .

davidT321

Feb 24, 2016
Hello all :D

What are the odds this bill C-6 (3 years rule) to become law before october 2018 ?

50%,80% ,90% ,99% ? approximately .I need your opinion.Thanks