+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
torontosm said:
Out of curiosity, what makes you believe that C6 represents the "will of the people"? The last poll I read showed that the majority of Canadians actually supported C24.
Where have u read the poll showing this? both of you have no evidence nor stat.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
torontosm said:
Out of curiosity, what makes you believe that C6 represents the "will of the people"? The last poll I read showed that the majority of Canadians actually supported C24.
Your question lacks knowledge in democratic institutions. An elected government is mandated by the people who elected it to carry out it's promises and policies. Any bill introduced by the government represents the will of the people.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
septimius said:
I love how people still have hope. They can't see that the cons do not want to hold a vote right now because either outcome makes them look bad. If they agree, it goes against their ideals. If they refuse, they come off as opposing the will of the people. So what's the best tactic? Introduce as much amendments as possible to show they support the will of the people without sacrificing their core values. In addition, introducing amendments will stall the bill as much as possible so there is a possibility the bill automatically dissolves which is an even better outcome for them.

I'm going to support the cons push against the bill because I'd rather live the facts than a false hope. Makes planning day to day life much more easier.
Knock yourself out, I also encourage you to only apply after 4 years if C-6 passes this way you can proudly say you planned your life according to the Conservatives agenda

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Business of the Senate
Hon. Peter Harder (Government Representative in the Senate): Colleagues, there have been discussions through the usual channels in support of the transparency that we're all seeking. With my colleague and other colleagues, we are now able to indicate to the Senate that we will conclude Senate consideration of Bill C-4 before the Easter break next week. With respect to Bill C-6, we will conclude by mid-week of the first week we are back. With this agreement and understanding, the motion put by Senator Bellemare with respect to this chamber rising at the end of the sitting today and resuming next Tuesday, will also, with your support, be agreed to.
(1430)
An Hon. Senator: In the spirit of cooperation.
Hon. Elaine McCoy: I would like to speak to this. Thank you, Your Honour.
I wish to put on record that Senator Harder did indeed reach out to me today, just after noon, and informed me that he had spoken first with Senator Smith, and reached this agreement; then with Senator Day, and reached this agreement; and then he was reaching out to me. I asked him if he had consulted with the sponsor of the bill, Senator Omidvar, and he had not, but he had a call in for her. I said that I would speak to my people, my colleagues, and immediately reached out to Senator Omidvar, who was in a speaking engagement that took some time.
We are very pleased to take assurances from the leader of the Conservative caucus that the members of his caucus will do everything they can to progress the speeches, amendments and votes on Bill C-6. We were, therefore, very pleased to agree to sit tomorrow and Monday night, because we understand there is a large interest in that bill, and we thought this would help them to advance that bill before Easter.
We are all equally pleased that they are making efforts on Bill C-4, because we understand that, again, there is great interest in it. I will say the same of the members of the independent Liberal caucus.
This is where we stand on a motion to come back next Tuesday. We do not have sufficient votes to defeat that motion, because we understand that Senator Smith and Senator Day have agreed. We do not have 53 votes in this chamber, so when that vote comes up, we will indicate that we are not agreeing and the vote can go forward on division. However, we do ask, with all sincerity, that everyone's efforts proceed as expeditiously as possible, in particular with respect to Bill C-6.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Redfield said:
Knock yourself out, I also encourage you to only apply after 4 years if C-6 passes this way you can proudly say you planned your life according to the Conservatives agenda
LOL @ if C-6 passed. You see, on a subconscious level, even you know it won't pass because you said "if" not "when"

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
asifmehmood said:
Business of the Senate
Hon. Peter Harder (Government Representative in the Senate): Colleagues, there have been discussions through the usual channels in support of the transparency that we're all seeking. With my colleague and other colleagues, we are now able to indicate to the Senate that we will conclude Senate consideration of Bill C-4 before the Easter break next week. With respect to Bill C-6, we will conclude by mid-week of the first week we are back. With this agreement and understanding, the motion put by Senator Bellemare with respect to this chamber rising at the end of the sitting today and resuming next Tuesday, will also, with your support, be agreed to.
(1430)
I wish to put on record that Senator Harder did indeed reach out to me today, just after noon, and informed me that he had spoken first with Senator Smith, and reached this agreement; then with Senator Day, and reached this agreement; and then he was reaching out to me. I asked him if he had consulted with the sponsor of the bill, Senator Omidvar, and he had not, but he had a call in for her. I said that I would speak to my people, my colleagues, and immediately reached out to Senator Omidvar, who was in a speaking engagement that took some time.
We are very pleased to take assurances from the leader of the Conservative caucus that the members of his caucus will do everything they can to progress the speeches, amendments and votes on Bill C-6. We were, therefore, very pleased to agree to sit tomorrow and Monday night, because we understand there is a large interest in that bill, and we thought this would help them to advance that bill before Easter.
We are all equally pleased that they are making efforts on Bill C-4, because we understand that, again, there is great interest in it. I will say the same of the members of the independent Liberal caucus.
This is where we stand on a motion to come back next Tuesday. We do not have sufficient votes to defeat that motion, because we understand that Senator Smith and Senator Day have agreed. We do not have 53 votes in this chamber, so when that vote comes up, we will indicate that we are not agreeing and the vote can go forward on division. However, we do ask, with all sincerity, that everyone's efforts proceed as expeditiously as possible, in particular with respect to Bill C-6.
When was that?

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
septimius said:
LOL @ if C-6 passed. You see, on a subconscious level, even you know it won't pass because you said "if" not "when"

Look, it will pass one day... It is the question of when!!!!

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Whocares said:
When was that?
April 6

https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/chamber/421/debates/110db_2017-04-06-e

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
asifmehmood said:
Business of the Senate
(1430)
What is the motion put by Senator Bellemare

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
SufferInCan said:
What is the motion put by Senator Bellemare
Resuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Bellemare, seconded by the Honourable Senator Harder, P.C., for the third reading of Bill C-4, An Act to amend the Canada Labour Code, the Parliamentary Employment and Staff Relations Act, the Public Service Labour Relations Act and the Income Tax Act.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
"We are very pleased to take assurances from the leader of the Conservative caucus that the members of his caucus will do everything they can to progress the speeches, amendments and votes on Bill C-6"

In other words, nothing.

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
septimius said:
"We are very pleased to take assurances from the leader of the Conservative caucus that the members of his caucus will do everything they can to progress the speeches, amendments and votes on Bill C-6"

In other words, nothing.
Yes they will do nothing unless they will be forced to bring this boring show to an end. Is it serious that they were asked to conclude the bill by May 3rd

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
Senator Harder reached an agreement with all party leaders and the Independent senators who are pushing amendments forward. He says the vote is scheduled around begining of May and there is too much visibility on the Senate roght now for the Cons to continue filibustering. That would give a lot of support to Harder's initiative to build a new business comittee whose role will be to time all deliberation on Bills.

As for the people who are already proclaming Bill C-6 death, by all means, please go on with your life an wait your 4 years and apply under C-24. The reason you are still debating on the forum is because you know Bill C-6 is coming so for God sake enough with the reverse psychology bs. No one will give you pity or attention here, we're all on the same boat. No one expected Bill C-6 to pass without a fight fromm Cons, HoC will not compromise on Bill C-6 as this is a campain promise, it got a ton of coverage and IRCC upper management is concuring on this. So maybe get onboard and stop whining, it won't change anything.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
Redfield said:
No one expected Bill C-6 to pass without a fight fromm Cons, HoC will not compromise on Bill C-6 as this is a campain promise, it got a ton of coverage and IRCC upper management is concuring on this. .
As I said on Friday afternoon, IRCC senior management was briefed on Friday that C-6 will not be passed by the government with these amendments. The revocation amendment went against a Memorandum to Cabinet that had already been awarded funding, and they are completely opposed to the language issue. They have also been advised by the Department of Justice that the amendment RE: Children's application violates the law. It's going to be DOA when (if?) it makes it back to the HoC.

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
Coffee1981 said:
As I said on Friday afternoon, IRCC senior management was briefed on Friday that C-6 will not be passed by the government with these amendments. The revocation amendment went against a Memorandum to Cabinet that had already been awarded funding, and they are completely opposed to the language issue. They have also been advised by the Department of Justice that the amendment RE: Children's application violates the law. It's going to be DOA when (if?) it makes it back to the HoC.
So why are you here on this thread? you repeated this information several times. Everyone has taken notice of what you brought. Thanks.