+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6 into effect, can I apply for citizenship from aborad

zubair21688

Feb 12, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the new Bill C-6 which would bring back credit for the time spent before PR and physical of 3 out of 5 years. As of today, I will be completing 3 years in Canada (2 years time before PR + 2 Years time spent after PR). I will be relocating to another country in May 2016, say if Bill C-6 comes into effect in July 2016 (I really hope it does), will I be allowed to apply from abroad and give my relative's address for mailing address in Canada and live outside of Canada till I get my citizenship test dates, oaths dates etc etc and come visit canada for those appointments and go back without affecting my Citizenship application?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think it's very unlikely the new bill will come into effect in or by July.

Having said that, you can expect that moving abroad after applying for citizenship may still create delays for your applications. Before the intent to reside clause was implemented, people who moved abroad after applying for citizenship often still faced RQ and delayed processing times.

Keep in mind that you're often given extremely little notice for test and oath dates.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
July 2017... maybe.
July 2016? No chance.

AbdulIBX

Mar 6, 2016
zubair21688 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the new Bill C-6 which would bring back credit for the time spent before PR and physical of 3 out of 5 years. As of today, I will be completing 3 years in Canada (2 years time before PR + 2 Years time spent after PR). I will be relocating to another country in May 2016, say if Bill C-6 comes into effect in July 2016 (I really hope it does), will I be allowed to apply from abroad and give my relative's address for mailing address in Canada and live outside of Canada till I get my citizenship test dates, oaths dates etc etc and come visit canada for those appointments and go back without affecting my Citizenship application?

Thanks
Hello

You are missing very important detail which came with the physical presence rules. That detail is CIC now have access to our Exits too through the new information sharing branches.
When I received a call from our processing agent he was quoting the Exits which we did with my wife while our family application was in process.

Regards Abdul

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
AbdulIBX said:
Hello

You are missing very important detail which came with the physical presence rules. That detail is CIC now have access to our Exits too through the new information sharing branches.
When I received a call from our processing agent he was quoting the Exits which we did with my wife while our family application was in process.

Regards Abdul
What does that have to do with anything? As long as OP doesn't violate PR obligations and if the final bill repeals the intent to reside clause as it is supposed to do, there really isn't anything stopping him/her from leaving Canada while their application is pending.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
AbdulIBX said:
Hello

Regards Abdul
Since when did CIC got access to Exit information, if this at all true, why cIC is asking entry exit from the Globe, this does not make any sense if they really have got access unless this access for very recent exits..any comments?

rose68

Jul 25, 2015
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI INDIA
zubair21688 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Hi,
U can't apply from out side Canada. U can move after applying but u must attend test date, oath etc at Canada.

Rose

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
I dont think you have any problem to apply from for citizenship and leave after that , of course this is after they remove the ( intent to reside )

you may get delayed and asked for RQ BUTTTTTT as long as you maintain you PR , you would eventually get your citizenship

AbdulIBX

Mar 6, 2016
links18 said:
What does that have to do with anything? As long as OP doesn't violate PR obligations and if the final bill repeals the intent to reside clause as it is supposed to do, there really isn't anything stopping him/her from leaving Canada while their application is pending.
Hello

It has to do with the habit CIC to create intentional delays if they see that someone spends the majority of time abroad while the application is pending. We all know that this delays could be several years so in that case all the PR status will be in danger.

dabas said:
Since when did CIC got access to Exit information, if this at all true, why cIC is asking entry exit from the Globe, this does not make any sense if they really have got access unless this access for very recent exits..any comments?
Most probably you have applied under the old rules. The new information sharing branches are in effect only for applications made after June 2015.

Regards Abdul

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
AbdulIBX said:
Hello

It has to do with the habit CIC to create intentional delays if they see that someone spends the majority of time abroad while the application is pending. We all know that this delays could be several years so in that case all the PR status will be in danger.

Most probably you have applied under the old rules. The new information sharing branches are in effect only for applications made after June 2015.

Regards Abdul
CIC can try to obstruct the application of someone they suspect is living abroad if they want to, but there is no basis in law to do so and such a case would be ripe for mandamus. A giant headache? Yes, but it is up to the applicant if they want to take the risk with their PR status.

AbdulIBX

Mar 6, 2016
links18 said:

CIC can try to obstruct the application of someone they suspect is living abroad if they want to, but there is no basis in law to do so and such a case would be ripe for mandamus. A giant headache? Yes, but it is up to the applicant if they want to take the risk with their PR status.
Unfortunately the law also doesn't say anything about their common little dirty tricks of different methods to put one application in a delay mode for very long time. And all that made intentionally from CIC. Yes all the PR status will be in danger in such cases, because we never know how many years all the process might get dragged and during that time the PR status will be lost if the applicant is abroad, so the PR will be forced to come back in Canada to live couple of years in order not to lose the PR status if the delay become big enough.

Regards Abdul