+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Big Question

Sina.Bahar

Jun 29, 2021
Hello, I am Sina Bahar from Iran and I am inquiring about the Express Entry program for Canadian Permanent Residence.
I have a bachelor's degree in Agriculture - water engineering. I have checked the job codes(NOC) in website and none of them seems to suit my field therefore I have decided to apply by my other profession, which is photography and filming.
I have completed some short paid projects in this field but I do not have any related degree, thus I will be attending classes from a Technical and Vocational Training Center and then I plan to work full time as a cameraman to gain work experience.
So my question is, seeing as my BsC is completely unrelated to photography, will my work experience in photography count as related work or not?

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Hello, I am Sina Bahar from Iran and I am inquiring about the Express Entry program for Canadian Permanent Residence.
I have a bachelor's degree in Agriculture - water engineering. I have checked the job codes(NOC) in website and none of them seems to suit my field therefore I have decided to apply by my other profession, which is photography and filming.
I have completed some short paid projects in this field but I do not have any related degree, thus I will be attending classes from a Technical and Vocational Training Center and then I plan to work full time as a cameraman to gain work experience.
So my question is, seeing as my BsC is completely unrelated to photography, will my work experience in photography count as related work or not?
NOC is chosen on the basis of your job duties and not your job title, The job title doesn't matter but the job duties should match at least 80% of NOC with your duties.

Work experience is not required to be related to your education

Th following is IRCC's criteria on calculating work experience

Skilled work experience
Skilled work experience means that you’ve worked in 1 of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups:
  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)
You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (have been paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count)
  • at least 1 year of continuous workor 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)—you can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work:for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
      • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
Part-time work experience
Your skilled work experience must be paid work including paid wages or earned commission. We don’t count volunteer work or unpaid internships.

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. You can work more than 1 part-time job to get the hours you need to apply.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.