+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best to visit before or after app is submitted? etc.

waitingforfi

Feb 25, 2014
If anyone could answer these questions of mine I'd be most thankful! I'm sure some of you have seen the same questions before on this forum and for that I apologize. I've searched the forums and found a lot of helpful advice, but I'm still confused re: few details.

INFO:
I'm a U.S. citizen currently living in the U.S. My wife is a Canadian citizen currently living in Canada. We were married in Canada and have been married for almost 2 years. I have all the necessary documentation for my PR application, but I have not yet forwarded it to my wife so she can send it along to the CIC. My hope is to visit her ASAP by whatever route make the best sense.

QUESTIONS:
1.) Is it better to enter Canada as a visitor before my wife submits the application or afterward?

2.) Should I just show up at the border or file an application for a travel visa if I want to stay for 6 months? If I just show up at the border, is just assumed that visitors can stay for 6 months unless the border agent is otherwise inclined?

3.) When I do travel to Canada as a visitor (whether by just going to the border or using a travel visa obtained beforehand), should I state my intention to apply for PR via spousal sponsorship?

Again, a million thanks for any advice you can give.

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1.you could file and then apply for visit visa. doesnt really matter.

2. if your filing for pr and then coming to visit, they might just give you visa for your purpose of visit. could be a shorter visa than 6 months.

3. if they ask you yes.

marlasinger

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
Doc's Request.
16-07-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
File Transfer...
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
13-01-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-10-2014 Decision Made..:29-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
29-01-2015
1. It doesn't really matter. The sooner the better, just to get the process started. My husband and I have been coming to and from Canada every weekend for almost 2 years, and we've never had a problem when they ask questions about our intentions and situation, if that's what you're worried about.

2. Since you're a US citizen you can visit Canada for up to 6 months without needing a traveller's visa. Just come on up and say you're visiting your wife. 6 months is a general rule of thumb for how long you can stay. US citizens have a lot of leeway, and if the border guard is nice you'll probably breeze right through. If you want to stay longer than six months then file for a temporary visitor visa once you're in Canada.

3. Always be honest! And don't be too nervous.

:)

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
There is no such thing as a "travel visa" for U.S. citizens visiting Canada. U.S. citizens are visa-exempt in Canada. What you do is show up at the border and tell them how long you are visiting and for what purpose. Sometimes they will stamp your passport, but usually they won't.

If they don't stamp it or stamp it and don't write in a date, you can stay 6 months, regardless of how long you originally intended to stay. If they suspect that you have no intentions of returning to the U.S. after your visit because you don't have much reason to go back or you have stronger ties to Canada than to the U.S. they may stamp the passport and give a shorter date or they may issue a "visitor record" (VR) for up to 6 months. The VR is a piece of paper that goes in your passport and it makes it easier for them to track you if you don't leave by the deadline and easier for you to apply for an extension if you decide to stay longer.

If you have a PR application in progress, they are usually willing to give you extensions until you get an answer of the PR application. If you just come without filing an application first, the border officer may be suspicious. Also, if you ask for the maximum 6 months, they may think that you are not planning to leave. I've heard of cases where that happened.

Whatever you do, don't lie to the officers.