+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Option for Work Permit Restoration (PGWP)

woohoo12

Jan 26, 2018
Hi, I'd like some advice on my current situation:

I have graduated with a 4-year degree from the University of Manitoba on February 1st, 2017. I applied for the PGWP, and it was issued only up until December 31st, 2017 based on my passport expiry date. After I renewed my passport, I applied for an extension on paper and they received it on November 5th, 2017. However, my application was returned yesterday, because I only included $155, instead of $255 (extra $100 for open work permit); I was not refused by CIC. Since my work permit is expired (Exp. 2017.12.31) and they made a decision to return it, I am now in the restoration status. The first two questions of mine are:

1. Can I still apply for the restoration of my PGWP?
2. If Q1 is yes, can I apply for the restoration online? I saw some people applying for the extension online as if they are applying for the new one.

I also have applied for Manitoba PNP and was issued the Letter of Approval on November 30th, 2017. I have not submitted for the federal process yet; I was still gathering other documents, and then became hesitant on sending it because my work permit was soon to be expired (well now it is expired....)

3. Should I still complete and send my PNP application to CIC even though I am in the restoration status? I manage to complete/validate/printed IMM 0008 before it expired. Or should I wait until I restore my status?

Another mistake of mine was not getting the Work Permit Support Letter from MPNP. When I was talking to the MPNP agent during an interview, the agent said I should be able to extend my PGWP and decided not to issue a WPSL; so that I can also keep an Open Work Permit. However, since my situation decided to be derailed a bit, I'm wondering if I, instead, get a WPSL, and then apply for a restoration of closed work permit, which can be done online. I sent a request for a WPSL to MPNP with an explanation of my situation, my initial offer of my employment contract, and the letter from my employer. I have been working for the same employer since February 1st, 2017 (the contract was permanent), and unfortunately, it has not been a full year yet. Thankfully, my employer is very supportive of me in this situation.

4. Is it possible for me to apply two restoration applications (one for PGWP and another with WPSL)?
5. Or should I just wait for MPNP to send me the WPSL?

I have talked to an immigration lawyer. Her advice was to apply with WPSL...but then she thought I cannot get an extension on PGWP....
Do you see any other options that I might have?