+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

best canadian city to make a refugee claim?

sask28

Star Member
Jun 22, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Burmese citizen who has been living in Canada for six years. I came to Canada to study at the University of Saskatchewan as an International Student. In August 2007 there was a protest in Burma lead by the Buddhist monks in which some degree of violence and blood-shed occurred. During this time I went to the Citizenship and Immigration office in Saskatoon to make refugee claim but was not able to. The woman sitting at the office just looked at me blankly as if she didn't know what the meanings of words "refugee" and "asylum". I had to turn around and walk out of the office with my head down. And now in 2011 I am having to go through the lengthy process of applying for Permanent Residence through the Provincial Nominee Stream.

I later read on the CIC website that it was possible for citizens from certain countries to make refugee claims at any Citizenship and Immigration office in Canada and that an interview would be conducted for them before a decision was made. Coming across this information really hurt and angered me because I realized that the woman at the CIC office in Saskatoon never even did an interview with me. She did not do her job properly and was not professional about it. I was definitely let down by someone who was working in a federal office but just was not qualified enough for the position she held.
Yet, I have heard of people who made refugee claims in CIC in other cities whose claims were approved. To me this shows that the success of a person's refugee claims really depends on which city they are staying in. I made the mistake of making this claim in a backward city like Saskatoon which has probably never had to deal with refugee claims.

I am now wondering if I should go to CIC office in another province like B.C. or O.N. to make a claim. It seems like people who have claimed for refugee protection have been approved in these provinces. I would like your advice on this. Thank you.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing called a best Canadian city to make refugee claim, its not like you have choices, you are not on vacation here. If you are a genuine refugee you should be grateful you are out of your country and in a peaceful place like Canada regardless of city. Immigration laws are same everywhere across the board in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think there is a better province or city. I think you just happened to run into a bad staff member in Saskatoon. (Unfortunately there are probably bad staff members in every province.)

However before you think about launching a refugee claim, I would strongly recommend you review the requirements. Unless there is far more to your story, I don't think you will qualify.

Where are you with the PNP application? I think it may be best to stick it out with this route...

Good luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If it is at all possible for you to apply for your immigration without making a refugee claim, you should do it. I am not saying that your claim is not valid but immigration staff are sick and tired of the huge number of people who come to Canada to claim refugee status where many of them turn out to be economic refugees and end up being refused after having wasted a whole lot of money and manpower hours for the system. Also, if you are refused, it can cause you to get deported and negatively affect your possibilities to apply for any other kind of visa in the future.

sask28

Star Member
Jun 22, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys from taking the time to read my rant and for being understand about it.

To scylla, I was nominated by the Province of Saskatchewan in December 2010 and sent my application documents and supporting documents to the Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo on 28th March 2011 and I have been waiting to hear some sort of update from them and so far it has been nothing. My biggest worry is that after having to wait such a long time to hear from the Buffalo office, I would receive bad news regarding my application.

Believe me I came to Canada in August 2005 and have not gone back to Burma since, not even for a short visit. There are many reason for not returning such as hassles concerning port of entry and having more problems when I have to return to Canada. I certainly don't want to keep renewing my Temporary Visa just so I can keep going in and out of Canada. And yes, I certainly plan to stay forever in Canada until the day I die. I have been here living here for six years already and I have no business being back in Burma.

What I want to say mainly in my post was about the thoughtlessness and inconsideration of the person whom I spoke during my stop at the CIC office in Saskatoon. It made me think that the people who work at the desk in these office are just idiots and seem to have to skills in dealing with a person who goes to seek help from them. It felt like a huge let down on their part and it really hurt.

Getting Permanent Residency for Burmese Citizen like me is very crucial. It is a way of being to evading the oppression and militant rule that my government has imposed on its Citizens for more that fifty years. It is also means being able to start a new life without any of the hassles that non Permanent Residents like me have to face, such as renewing your work permit everytime it expires and having to pay extremely unaffordable tuition expenses if I want to continue with some Post-secondary education. When I was studying at the University of Saskatchewan, I probably ended up paying more than forty thousand dollars in tuition expenses and I never would like to have to do that again. My family and me are not made of money and I would rather pay a more reasonable amount of tuition fees.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A lot of other people would also like to stay in Canada forever but they also must apply for their PR, fulfil requirements and wait their turn.

For somebody who comes with the plan to immigrate, if they can not get a job and come on a work visa, the best way is to do a two year course, get a post-grad work permit, work for a year and then apply under CEC which takes around 11 months. They could have their PR in less than 4 years after arriving and if they choose to study some more after that, they are paying the lower fees.

In any case, you have your application in and now you must wait. The processing time for PNP in Buffalo is listed at 13 months for 80% of cases, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/provincial.asp#west so don't expect to hear from them right away.

Sibtain

Dec 17, 2009
LEON,
can u plz confirm me..if i study for 1 year and afta that i'll get 1 year Post-grad work permit, within this period, do i need to find a job relating to my qualification/study? or any kind of job would make me eligible to apply under CEC??

Thanks in advance,
Sib

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For CEC, it is better that you study for 2 years. You can get a 3 year post-grad work permit. You can apply for PR after one year of work which must be in a skilled occupation, doesn't have to be related to your studies though. If you only study for one year, you can only get a 1 year PG work permit and in order to qualify under CEC, you would need 2 years of work (either 2 yrs. study + 1 yr. work or 2 yrs. work). You would then need to get your work permit extended as your PG work permit expires. The employer has to apply for an LMO and it is not certain that it would be granted.