+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Basic questions about asylum

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I see no reason that he needs asylum. This is a case of a family wanting to be reunited. Filing for asylum should not be considered lightly. It will haunt him for the rest of his life when it is denied. It would be much smarter to work hard and apply for an economic form of immigration. That way he will actually be able to stay in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please consider speaking to an immigration lawyer or even a refugee organization at the very least so they can give you there opinion of whether your brother qualifies for asylum and some current examples of people who have been approved. I think then you will realize that asylum is not the option you just don't have another obvious option.

Reactions: ranarajni15

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
Talk to a lawyer and explain everything you told us. He or she would be qualified to say what are your brother's chances of success.
Don't risk it, right now claiming refugee in Canada is a gamble and it could take years before he gets a decision. As others have said, if his claim is denied then he will be ordered to leave and that will pretty much ban him from getting visas to any other developed country in the future.

Reactions: ranarajni15

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. I believe he would be better off keeping his options open, at least until you have some professional councilling on the matter.