+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bank will not provide Letter (proof of funds). What can I do?

Jan 30, 2021
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hello and thanks in advance for any help provided! My current banks (M&T Bank and Discover Bank) are unwilling to provide letters satisfying the IRCC requirements. I told both I need a letter as per the following requirements:
Express Entry - Permanent Residents
If you are applying for permanent residence in Canada, you must provide an official letter issued by your financial institution indicating your financial profile. This must:
- list of all your bank (chequing and savings) and investment accounts, the account numbers, dates each account was opened and the balance of each account over the past six months,
- list all outstanding debts, such as credit cards and loans,
- be printed on the letterhead of the financial institution, and include your name and the contact information of the financial institution (address, telephone number and e-mail address)
  1. The bank will definitely NOT compromise and they're insanely inflexible about this; just as inflexible as IRCC is also being this, frankly. I can't force the bank to fulfill these requirements in a single letter because of their internal privacy policies or whatever, and it seems like the IRCC will accept no less than that specific format.
  2. In addition, I apparently need everything in CAD. Is that true?
What can I possibly do to provide the proof of funds without getting my application thrown out because of the absence of a letter formatted as per Canadian requirements?

TL;DR: The IRCC has a stringent one-letter-contains-all format that my U.S. banks (M&T Bank and Discover Bank) will not follow that format because of their policies. What the hell can I do to solve this issue?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello and thanks in advance for any help provided! My current banks (M&T Bank and Discover Bank) are unwilling to provide letters satisfying the IRCC requirements. I told both I need a letter as per the following requirements:

1. The bank will definitely NOT compromise and they're insanely inflexible about this; just as inflexible as IRCC is also being this, frankly. I can't force the bank to fulfill these requirements in a single letter because of their internal privacy policies or whatever, and it seems like the IRCC will accept no less than that specific format.
What can I possibly do to provide the proof of funds without getting my application thrown out because of the absence of a letter formatted as per Canadian requirements?

TL;DR: The IRCC has a stringent one-letter-contains-all format that my U.S. banks (M&T Bank and Discover Bank) will not follow that format because of their policies. What the hell can I do to solve this issue?
Frame a letter saying that bank refuse to give the letter and go to the manager and tell him to sign it since they are refusing it and you need to submit this letter. See if this plan makes some noise. All the best.

InfinityDz

Aug 22, 2022
Category........
FSW

I mean, it's not your fault that your bank is stubborn, and it's not IRCC's fault either, but in any case, any document you'll provide will include the bank's phone number, and e-mail address. They can contact them and have the bank certify anything they want to confirm. My bank won't provide me with the IRCC's specific letter but we figured since we're going to give them every bit of information they're asking for (and even information they don't ask for), they shouldn't be too demanding. Also, no bank in my country does provide the required letter, so everyone just gives a letter of explanation with the specific documents that provide the required information. The letter of explanation isn't even signed by the bank, and I've always been told IRCC accepts it. Your story is quite worrisome to me quite frankly. Has there been anything new since then?