+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born in Pakistan to Canadian citizen

NotCanadian

Jul 2, 2024
Hi all,

I wanted to know what is the process of obtaining a passport for a baby born in Pakistan to a canadian citizen? We need to travel back to Canada within a month of the birth of the baby and I was wondering if a temporary passport can be issued to the baby while we wait for the citizen certificate (as I know it takes time)? Please let me know!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I wanted to know what is the process of obtaining a passport for a baby born in Pakistan to a canadian citizen? We need to travel back to Canada within a month of the birth of the baby and I was wondering if a temporary passport can be issued to the baby while we wait for the citizen certificate (as I know it takes time)? Please let me know!
A month is a very tight timeline so don’t buy any plane tickets until you know you can obtain travel documents which could take months. You’ll need to start with getting Pakistani birth certificate.

Adil Sulehri

Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver
Hi all,

First you need to apply for Canadian citizenship certificate, I requested to expedite and got it in 7 days, which was quite fast because processing time outside Canada was 13 months.
then you need to gather documents to apply for Pakistani documents which are required to apply Canadian passport, there is a travel document they can issue, so that you can travel with your child.
But first thing first, you need to apply for Canadian e-citizenship certificate. I got my daughter's passport in 2 months time (this time include the day I start gathering Pakistani documents to Canadian passport)
embassy won't accept NADRA/UC marriage certificate, so you make sure, you have original nikkahnama and then get it translated

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
First you need to apply for Canadian citizenship certificate, I requested to expedite and got it in 7 days, which was quite fast because processing time outside Canada was 13 months.
then you need to gather documents to apply for Pakistani documents which are required to apply Canadian passport, there is a travel document they can issue, so that you can travel with your child.
But first thing first, you need to apply for Canadian e-citizenship certificate. I got my daughter's passport in 2 months time (this time include the day I start gathering Pakistani documents to Canadian passport)
One small point of clarity, you don't necessarily need to RECEIVE the Canadian citizenship certificate, you need to APPLY for it.

But strongly suggest contacting the embassy / consulate / high commission to clarify what they require. Details esp local doc requirements can vary somewhat.

Reactions: Adil Sulehri