+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting PNC non-EE PR application - PGWP about to expire

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
Hello all,

I need some advice.

Current situation is:
  • OINP nominated (employer job offer stream)
  • PNC non-EE PR application submitted (recently - so no AOR yet)
  • PGWP about to expire (in 9 days .. :( )
  • Found out way too late that I am not eligible for BOWP because of the employer restriction on my OINP nomination
  • Have asked my employer to submit the job offer on the IRCC Employer Portal and pay the compliance fee (it's a big company so there seems to be a lot of bureaucracy involved)
  • If and when they do, I'll submit it along with the OINP work permit support letter in my application for the new closed work permit to await the approval of my PR application
My questions are:
  1. If the company decides that they will not support me for the closed work permit, what are my options?
    • Will this mean that I lose my status, then my job, then my nomination, then the PR application as well?
  2. Is there something I can provide the company with that will convince them to do this?
  3. Is there something that I am possibly missing - another possible rout, maybe?
  4. As a last resort, if I apply for a visitor record to remain in Canada with status, will I need to report the change to OINP and IRCC - which will inevitably flush everything down the drain?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I need some advice.

Current situation is:
  • OINP nominated (employer job offer stream)
  • PNC non-EE PR application submitted (recently - so no AOR yet)
  • PGWP about to expire (in 9 days .. :( )
  • Found out way too late that I am not eligible for BOWP because of the employer restriction on my OINP nomination
  • Have asked my employer to submit the job offer on the IRCC Employer Portal and pay the compliance fee (it's a big company so there seems to be a lot of bureaucracy involved)
  • If and when they do, I'll submit it along with the OINP work permit support letter in my application for the new closed work permit to await the approval of my PR application
My questions are:
  1. If the company decides that they will not support me for the closed work permit, what are my options?
    • Will this mean that I lose my status, then my job, then my nomination, then the PR application as well?
  2. Is there something I can provide the company with that will convince them to do this?
  3. Is there something that I am possibly missing - another possible rout, maybe?
  4. As a last resort, if I apply for a visitor record to remain in Canada with status, will I need to report the change to OINP and IRCC - which will inevitably flush everything down the drain?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
I would apply for the visitor record now regardless. That way you give yourself insurance now that you hopefully won't fall out of status in Canada.

With a large company, there generally isn't anything you can do to convince them to go through the process. They will either be able to do it per HR policies or they won't be. Larger companies are generally more restricted in what they can do. If HR policies prevent it, then there won't be anything you can do to change that. I would push to get that answer as soon as you can.

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
I would apply for the visitor record now regardless. That way you give yourself insurance now that you hopefully won't fall out of status in Canada.

With a large company, there generally isn't anything you can do to convince them to go through the process. They will either be able to do it per HR policies or they won't be. Larger companies are generally more restricted in what they can do. If HR policies prevent it, then there won't be anything you can do to change that. I would push to get that answer as soon as you can.

Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the advice.
But once I apply for visitor record and my PGWP expires, what does it mean for my PR application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the advice.
But once I apply for visitor record and my PGWP expires, what does it mean for my PR application?
You have to continue to be employed by that employer until your application is approved. Your application is dependent on this. If you end up on visitor status for a short period of time but are then able to moved back to a closed work permit with the support of your current employer, then I think you would be fine. If not, then you would need to find a new employer quite quickly who is willing to support the nomination and then you would need to update all of the paperwork with IRCC to switch over to that new employer.

You need to notify OINP immediately if there is any change in your employment.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for the advice.
You have to notify PNP office that your status changed to visitor and you have to meet conditions of your nomination which is you have to keep working with your employer until you get PR . Unfortunately you have to talk to HR and tell them how this employer portal and compliance fees works .

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
You have to continue to be employed by that employer until your application is approved. Your application is dependent on this. If you end up on visitor status for a short period of time but are then able to moved back to a closed work permit with the support of your current employer, then I think you would be fine. If not, then you would need to find a new employer quite quickly who is willing to support the nomination and then you would need to update all of the paperwork with IRCC to switch over to that new employer.

You need to notify OINP immediately if there is any change in your employment.
Understood.
Thanks for the insight!

dwcho

Apr 27, 2020
You have to notify PNP office that your status changed to visitor and you have to meet conditions of your nomination which is you have to keep working with your employer until you get PR . Unfortunately you have to talk to HR and tell them how this employer portal and compliance fees works .
Thanks for the advice, Miss Bee
Well noted!