+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Awaiting passports from Canadian consulate in New York

gwy

Apr 25, 2011
Hi all

Anyone who mailed their vistor visa application to NY in the middle of March get their passport back?

SMUPK1

May 30, 2010
Hi,

I apply on 7th of march and not received yet, when i contact with embassy they send me your passport mail out on 30th march , i lived in halifax and now a 29 days passed and i not received anything from there, and tomorrow i am going to submit a new application for new a duplicate passport in my own country embassy, bcz they also wonfdering whats the going on, actually my mistake is that i not send a post paid envolope and pay a huge cost for it, they send my passport in a regular mail and here you very well know the service of canada post. So I lost my passport , I suppose to be, may be i get after a 1 month or may be 2 or 3 weeks , but at that time i have a urgent need of my passport, what a rediculous rule of this country that you are in canada and you send your passport out of the country for Visa. I pray for you that you get soon, Plz also share your time line and may be i wait for another few days. I am also so worried .Thanks

elisha

May 5, 2011
Hi
I am new to this forum. I needed your opinion.
I have applied for canadian transit visa on 28th April 2011. I have applied for myself and my family. I sent them the passports and the application forms by USPS Express mail service (it is a next day delivery from Boston to New York). I received a confirmation that the package has been delivered.
After I read the reviews in this forum, I started getting nervous as my travel date to India is on May 17th. It makes me more nervous as I did not send prepaid express envelop when I posted the documents to Canadian Consulate at Buffalo, New York. Canadian website tells that usual processing time for TRV visa is 7 days. So, I thought that, I would receive my passports well before May 17 (which is my India travel date from Boston). But, it appears this may not be the case. It might take months!

At this point, could you advise me if would it make sense to me to directly travel to Buffalo and collect the passports by hand? Would the consulate even give me my passports by hand? Buffalo is about 7 hours drive from Boston which at this point may be worth going there (than getting tensed sitting at Boston) in Person and collect the passports. Any suggestions for me in this regard would be a great help. I would really appreciate it and thanks in advance for your time and help!
my email id is t_elisha@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Elisha

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
11-12-2012 done, received on 24-12-2012 and ecas updated 11-02-2013
Passport Req..
DM: April 25th and PPR: May 2nd
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
elisha said:
Hi
I am new to this forum. I needed your opinion.
I have applied for canadian transit visa on 28th April 2011. I have applied for myself and my family. I sent them the passports and the application forms by USPS Express mail service (it is a next day delivery from Boston to New York). I received a confirmation that the package has been delivered.
After I read the reviews in this forum, I started getting nervous as my travel date to India is on May 17th. It makes me more nervous as I did not send prepaid express envelop when I posted the documents to Canadian Consulate at Buffalo, New York. Canadian website tells that usual processing time for TRV visa is 7 days. So, I thought that, I would receive my passports well before May 17 (which is my India travel date from Boston). But, it appears this may not be the case. It might take months!

At this point, could you advise me if would it make sense to me to directly travel to Buffalo and collect the passports by hand? Would the consulate even give me my passports by hand? Buffalo is about 7 hours drive from Boston which at this point may be worth going there (than getting tensed sitting at Boston) in Person and collect the passports. Any suggestions for me in this regard would be a great help. I would really appreciate it and thanks in advance for your time and help!
my email id is t_elisha @ yahoo.com

Thanks,
Elisha
Hi Elisha,

Unfortuantely there is a notice on the website that the applications are being upgraded and the processing time could be more that what they have on the website.
I'm not sure if you could go in person and get your passport. But what you can do now is send an email requesting to expedite it (or return your passport in case you cant wait beyond a certain time) and they sure will reply within 2 business days. You can get their email id on cic buffalo website.

Hope you get it soon.

Cheers!
Sandy

elisha

May 5, 2011
Hi Sandy

Thank you for your reponse.
I emailed Buffalo Consulate and they replied like this -

We do not offer individual counselling. Information is available canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/

Canadian Consulate General Buffalo
Immigration Section
buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

I am not sure, I understand their comments.
I have decided to take risk and travel to Buffalo this evening. It is a bit drive (at least 7 hours drive + hotel). I will try to collect my passports and then attend In person interview if they have not already stamped my passports.

I will update this thread how it goes, so, it would help others who are in a similar situation.

I have a question - Does any one know what time do we have to be at the consulate office in Buffalo? I know they open from 8 AM to 11 AM. But, given the crowd and all, what time, do I have to be there, so, I will be first in the queue, so, the moment they open the doors at 8, I can just enter. Can anyone please share their experiences?

Thanks,
Elisha

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Be there by 7:30 AM. Please note that there are only days of the week that they entertain walk-in, Tuesdays and Thursdays, I think. Check their website.

poojachuriwal

May 11, 2011
Hi,

I am going through a similar process. It had been 15 working days since I applied for my visa. I am scheduled to leave the country on 17th may, but I can't do so without my passport. It is extremely unprofessional of them to keep the passport for so long.

Elisha, could you tell me whether your trip to Buffalo was successful or not?

Thanks,
Pooja

elisha

May 5, 2011
Praise God!
I received my passports (myself and family) with visas stamped by USPS mail today. I can now fly on May 17th to India.
Pooja, wish you good luck! Please send them email and Fax and they were very responsive to me.

Please highlight and tell them the nature of urgency i.e. your travel date is near and they seem to consider that.

Again, best of luck!

- Elisha

sandyboy388

Dec 6, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
Doc's Request.
24-08-2012
Nomination.....
14-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-12-2012
Med's Done....
11-12-2012 done, received on 24-12-2012 and ecas updated 11-02-2013
Passport Req..
DM: April 25th and PPR: May 2nd
LANDED..........
June 27, 2013
elisha said:
Praise God!
I received my passports (myself and family) with visas stamped by USPS mail today. I can now fly on May 17th to India.
Pooja, wish you good luck! Please send them email and Fax and they were very responsive to me.

Please highlight and tell them the nature of urgency i.e. your travel date is near and they seem to consider that.

Again, best of luck!

- Elisha
Congrats Elisha!!!

Pooja, hope you get it soon as well.

Cheers!
Sandy

elisha

May 5, 2011
Pooja
If you have mailed your passports to Buffalo, I would suggest make a visit to Buffalo office, I can say that, you will be able to collect the passport in person unless they already mailed you.
Please email them and request for a status from them. I felt they are very cooperative.

To answer your question "Buffalo trip was successful or not" I would say both. I could talk to consulate officer, she was very helpful. She gave me my file number and told me the status. However, since I mailed my passports actually to New York city and not to Buffalo (yes, it was my oversight that I ended up going to Buffalo), they suggested me to go to New York City consulate.

To which consulate did you mail your passport?
Wish you best of luck Pooja!

- Elisha

brightmind96

Mar 9, 2011
I applied on Arpril 9th to New York and still got nothing now :mad: My flight is scheduled on May 21, can I ask them to return my passport?

elisha

May 5, 2011
Hi Brightmind96
I suggest, send them FAX / email and explain them the urgency. I think, they will consider your case and expedite the delivery of the passports.
It worked for me.

Good luck!
- Elisha

brightmind96

Mar 9, 2011
I emailed them, and they replied as following on May 16

Dear Madam / Sir,
This is in response to your email.
We have finalized your application for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa.
Your passport and documents will be mailed to you shortly. We ask that you wait for the mail to arrive before requesting any further information.
For future reference, in all correspondence to our office, please refer to the applicant's full name, date of birth and file number.

I haven't received anything yet . Also, I did not send a prepaid envelope so I'm a little worried. Do you know how long it might take for my passport to be returned? ( note they did not say when they sent it to me). Can I ask for tracking number of my file so I know whether my passport was lost?

rishsehgal

May 21, 2011
hi guys,
i applied for my Visitors visa on April 19th in NYC via mail. I had to go to Vancouver to present my PhD research at a huge international meeting. Now its been 4 weeks and i still have not received my passport/visa and I have since missed out on my meeting!
this is ridiculous!!
now next month I have to fly to Ireland for an exam and have to get my passport back to apply for the Irish visa!
I have emailed, and faxed the Canadian embassy daily! with NO REPLY!

this is really making me angry and very frustrated! never have i dealt with such an unprofessional and difficult embassy!

akinu

May 22, 2011
Hello all,

I have the same problem. I mailed my documents on May 4th and it looks it will take very long. However, I am legally obligated to leave the United States early June and I don't need a Canada visa anymore; I just want my passport back.

Any luck with going to the Consulate and getting passports back? I have to go there tomorrow and beg in every way to just get my passport back. Any ideas or suggestions?