+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Avoid Humber College

Aarti2791

Star Member
Sep 8, 2012
Hi,
Ive got an option to choose from either Humber college (GBM) or George Brown (Marketing in financial services)
I'm keen on Humber since it's a 2 year course and hence will enable me to get a 3 year work permit. But I've heard that the visa rejection rate is high for this course.I'm fine with the george brown course but since it's a 1 year course i'll get only a 1 year work permit. How do i extend my stay if i pick the course at george brown?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Before your 1 year PGWP expires, you will have to ask your employer(or find another employer willing to) to apply for a LMO(labor market opinion) and if approved, you can apply for a closed work permit(tied to employer).

Aarti2791

Star Member
Sep 8, 2012
Alright. Thanks. But are there job opportunities available for the course? What if i intend to do another 1 year course?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I have no idea on job opportunities and what happens if you take another, you should do some research on that and search this forum too. I know that the PGWP is a one time deal - once you get it once, you can not get it again even if you study again.

Aarti2791 said:
Alright. Thanks. But are there job opportunities available for the course? What if i intend to do another 1 year course?

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
Reached Sydney 18-05-2012/ PER 4 June 2012
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 (Sent with application)
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
25-AUG-2012/ Medical Line updated on Ecas 7Oct2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
Aarti2791 said:
Alright I'll try finding some information.Thanks for your help.
Jobs opportunities are never directly related to any course, it is just skills blended with your education which secure you a job.
You can get jobs in different fields of industry after completing your course and after one year can apply fr PR or LMO to get your permit extended.

I completed same B-406 course frm GBC, worked one year in CIBC and then another job with a private employer obtained LMO with 3yrs work permit and now waiting for OR which is expected in 1-2 months,

Studying and settlement in canada is not a cake walk, it is a dream which need hardwork, planning and proper implementation of plans. if you got offer letter from GBC file you study VISA, apply on campus job the very first day you land or receive your student login. Create linked in profile , start networking with seniors and faculty.

nothing will come as automatic sucess but if you plan and do hard work you will not get disappointed, specailly in GBC.

Humber will bring you poor environment, company and yes you may get 3 yr work permit after spending 2 yrs fees which you may even not able to cover in 5years.

Reactions: mnint

Vipul.Varinder

Jun 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jitu1011 said:
Jobs opportunities are never directly related to any course, it is just skills blended with your education which secure you a job.
You can get jobs in different fields of industry after completing your course and after one year can apply fr PR or LMO to get your permit extended.

I completed same B-406 course frm GBC, worked one year in CIBC and then another job with a private employer obtained LMO with 3yrs work permit and now waiting for OR which is expected in 1-2 months,

Studying and settlement in canada is not a cake walk, it is a dream which need hardwork, planning and proper implementation of plans. if you got offer letter from GBC file you study VISA, apply on campus job the very first day you land or receive your student login. Create linked in profile , start networking with seniors and faculty.

nothing will come as automatic sucess but if you plan and do hard work you will not get disappointed, specailly in GBC.

Humber will bring you poor environment, company and yes you may get 3 yr work permit after spending 2 yrs fees which you may even not able to cover in 5years.

dude,,, Nw GBC is nt tht great even.. My few friends in GBC are not getting any kinda campus job.. too many students r there too.

Jitu1011

Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
Reached Sydney 18-05-2012/ PER 4 June 2012
AOR Received.
20-JUNE-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 (Sent with application)
File Transfer...
20-June-2012
Med's Request
14-AUG-2012
Med's Done....
25-AUG-2012/ Medical Line updated on Ecas 7Oct2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-AUG-2012
VISA ISSUED...
31st- Oct - 2012
LANDED..........
15th Nov 2012
Vipul.Varinder said:
dude,,, Nw GBC is nt tht great even.. My few friends in GBC are not getting any kinda campus job.. too many students r there too.
Does this mean GBC have no jobs for international students..? or it may be just your friends either late in applying or not eligible for any of many jobs.
I would say if they properly look at all campus jobs they may get something as there are 5 GBC campuses and this is new session month when old students graduates and their job get vacant.

rix0065

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Let me clear everyone of you. You people just listen to consultants and go to the colleges they tell you. If you have any relatives / friends living in canada ,first tell them to enquire about the college. I took aircraft engg in Northern Lights College , Dawson Creek , BC . There are only top 2 colleges for aircraft engg in canada and this is one of them. So if you really want to study , first check about the college , i did the same. I didnt even applied through any consultant coz they told me instead of doing aircraft engg do any other type of engg coz aircraft engg was not available in the colleges they knew ,all of which are in ontario. Northern Lights College Staff and students are very good . I am the only Indian in my batch and there are just 2 more , who are my seniors .6 Indians got rejected in my batch . I am just talking abt aircraft engg. So if you think college is resposible for visa rejection or something , that is not right. It depends all on your profile. These all colleges come under spp.

Lay_13591

Sep 2, 2012
R said:
There is no logic in comparing Humber-Cenential_Seneca-George Brown-etc-etc. All are same. You will find a class full of Indians, coming from middle Indian class having no way to adjust in to Canadian society. Even personally I am following at least 5 Indian students on facebook and it does not surprise me when I see their posts/pics, I mean they are just wasting their time with no proper goals. For them Canada is just about few fellow Indians + PR. They send all their time with only Indians, clicking pics of Canadian women at downtown by cell phone and posting the same on FB.

For me they are lost, not because they are bad, they got too much in their life. Back in India they pass out from some college as a fresh graduate and one day they simply contact education agents, got into some school (just with the help of agents), got loan (with the help of parents) and landed in Canada (just by default) and they have no sense about the meaning of hardwork, discipline, character...they are only trying to be north american (I won't be surprised even if they use some white paint on their face to look like a Canadian). You do not want to come out of that Indian mentality. You look for Indians all the ways. You are looking for PR. You want to be a Canadian citizen, but not without leaving that Indian mentality. Do not you think that you should break your contacts with fellow Indians just for a time being and spend more and more time in learning and understanding the way life moves here. I am a very Indian by heart, but I have no shame in saying that we Indians are at least 1000 years behind these Canadians (not just in economy, but in behavior, manners, society etc).

For your course selection, I would strongly advise you to look at Trade courses (only if you are an average student with not so good communication skills). Job for trades courses are almost guaranteed. It's just waste of time to study courses like Pg diploma/certificate in business. I mean for these courses (and eventually in getting a job) you need a personality and a Canadian work experience. I am sure, if you guys are struggling to score even 7.0 in Ielts then you can imagine your level of communication in a Canadian accent. I am not trying to discourage anyone. It's very easy to have admission in Canada because it's a BILLION dollar industry for Federal Government. They need money to keep running their welfare soceity, and you are one of the important source of revenue. It may not be easy to secure visa on Trade courses, so I would suggest you to change your courses to Trade once you secured your visa. Trade people are paid very well. Even companies like Toyota/Ford are sponsoring courses like Automotive Technician and offering 100% placement for graduates. Most of these graduates work at company sponsored show room service centre.

For PR options, its JUST USELESS to look for Saskatchewan, because it's completely a rat race, I am sure it will close down very soon, I strongly advise you to look at NOC C and D level PNP options (except BC and Alberta, I am not sure which PNP's offering NOC C and D level PR). It's much easier to have NOC C and D level jobs (YOu forget about NOC O, A and B level jobs) Thousand and thousand of people are fighting for these jobs, some are really world class professional (Like H1B visa holders from USA).

Hey I am pursuing BE in Automobile engineering.What are Trade courses? Is it more like Technical courses? and What is the scope for a Automotive engineer over there? I would really like to know about that.I know that getting a job depends on individual skill n all but are there any such courses specially for Automobile engineers which can ensure you 100% placement?

Jd5

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI

Lay_13591 said:
Hey I am pursuing BE in Automobile engineering.What are Trade courses? Is it more like Technical courses? and What is the scope for a Automotive engineer over there? I would really like to know about that.I know that getting a job depends on individual skill n all but are there any such courses specially for Automobile engineers which can ensure you 100% placement?

Job prospects for trades courses are high to very high, but to secure visa for the same is low to very low.

Lay_13591

Sep 2, 2012
I didn't get what Trade courses are to be honest.Do you mean technical courses? Like Automobile engineering? Can you give me some names of trade courses.So that i can get a rough idea

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lay_13591 said:
I didn't get what Trade courses are to be honest.Do you mean technical courses? Like Automobile engineering? Can you give me some names of trade courses.So that i can get a rough idea
Trades are professions where practical knowledge is just as important (perhaps more so) than theoretical knowledge. Sometimes Trades are also known as Crafts. Examples of trades include Carpenters, Plumbers, Bakers, Welders, Machinists, Steel workers, Mechanics and Electricians. Schools that prepare students to become Tradesmen are known as Trade Schools . Tradesmen (and Tradeswomen) are in high demand and command attractive salaries and benefits. Historically, an individual desiring to enter a trade would work for a number of years with a fully qualified Tradesman. Some occupations still work in this way. For example, an aspiring Electrician can join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). For the first few years (usually 3 to 7, depending on the trade) that person works full time (37 to 40 hours per week) and also completes about 6 hours per week in classroom training. The training is conducted by the IBEW and there is usually no cost to the student, other than for books. At this stage the "student" is known as an Apprentice (while he/she completes the Apprenticeship) . While in the Apprenticeship, workers make competitive pay. Once fully trained and qualified, the Apprentice becomes a Journeyman. Finally, when a person has attained the pinnacle of skill and knowledge, he becomes a Master. The apprenticeship programs for other trades work in a similar manner.

Today, Trade Schools have become an alternative method of achieving the basic training and knowledge needed to become a Tradesman. Students enrolled in a training program at a trade school are apprentices. The training programs are not usually long enough for students to completely finish the Apprenticeship stage while in school, so they finish it (and become Journeymen) after they've worked in their profession with an employer for a few more years. Trade Schools are not designed to produce fully qualified Tradesmen, but rather to give them the basic skills and knowledge they need to be quite valuable in the labour market in their chosen trade. Upon graduating they are experienced enough to work in the field they've chosen, supervised by Journeymen and Masters, while they continue gaining additional knowledge and skills through hands-on real-life work experience.

srana

Aug 31, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-02-2010
Doc's Request.
25-05-2010
AOR Received.
27-10-2010
IELTS Request
25-05-2010
File Transfer...
20-08-2010, update documents sent 27-01-2012
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
n/a
Interview........
Unknown
Passport Req..
Unknown
VISA ISSUED...
Unknown
LANDED..........
Unknown
NeedleArtist said:
Trades are professions where practical knowledge is just as important (perhaps more so) than theoretical knowledge. Sometimes Trades are also known as Crafts. Examples of trades include Carpenters, Plumbers, Bakers, Welders, Machinists, Steel workers, Mechanics and Electricians. Schools that prepare students to become Tradesmen are known as Trade Schools . Tradesmen (and Tradeswomen) are in high demand and command attractive salaries and benefits. Historically, an individual desiring to enter a trade would work for a number of years with a fully qualified Tradesman. Some occupations still work in this way. For example, an aspiring Electrician can join the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW). For the first few years (usually 3 to 7, depending on the trade) that person works full time (37 to 40 hours per week) and also completes about 6 hours per week in classroom training. The training is conducted by the IBEW and there is usually no cost to the student, other than for books. At this stage the "student" is known as an Apprentice (while he/she completes the Apprenticeship) . While in the Apprenticeship, workers make competitive pay. Once fully trained and qualified, the Apprentice becomes a Journeyman. Finally, when a person has attained the pinnacle of skill and knowledge, he becomes a Master. The apprenticeship programs for other trades work in a similar manner.

Today, Trade Schools have become an alternative method of achieving the basic training and knowledge needed to become a Tradesman. Students enrolled in a training program at a trade school are apprentices. The training programs are not usually long enough for students to completely finish the Apprenticeship stage while in school, so they finish it (and become Journeymen) after they've worked in their profession with an employer for a few more years. Trade Schools are not designed to produce fully qualified Tradesmen, but rather to give them the basic skills and knowledge they need to be quite valuable in the labour market in their chosen trade. Upon graduating they are experienced enough to work in the field they've chosen, supervised by Journeymen and Masters, while they continue gaining additional knowledge and skills through hands-on real-life work experience.

Lay_13591

Sep 2, 2012
NeedleArtist said:

Thank you very much for the information.It was really helpful.Can you please tell me which colleges provide such courses? or just tell me from where you got this information so that i can find myself and will I get PGWP after doing such courses over there?