+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Available funds for my stay - What should I fill?

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
My parents will fund my tuition and living expenses. In their bank statements the total amount they have is more than enough for my entire study and their accounts are stable.
However, they want to allocate a third of their total savings for funding my tuition and living expenses, and that is still more than enough for my entire study. They stated in their sponsorship letter that that a third of their savings will be the minimum amount they'll provide.
So, in the application form, should I fill my parent's TOTAL amount of their savings or the minimum amount they'll allocate for me as stated in their sponsorship letter?
Well, obviously their total savings are not just solely for my study and living expenses but also for their daily living needs in our own country as well.

So, what should I fill?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
You fill how much what you can show in the application.
But what should I fill with? The total amount of my parents' savings mention on my parents bank statements, even if in the end only some of it will be for my expenses provided they are enough for it as their savings are also for their living needs, or the minimum amount my parents will provide for me as mentioned on their sponsorship letter?

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
So, I have calculated all of my expenses including tuition and living costs and for the entire period of my study from start to finish and they are about $54,000.00 which means it should be $27,000.00 per year. I'll be attending a 2-year master program.
Let's say the total amount of all of my parents' savings (including fixed deposits) as written in the recent bank statement and bank reference letter are about $180,000.00 and they state in the sponsorship letter that they'll provide me at least $65,000.00.
So, should I fill $180,000.00 or $65,000.00 in the available funds for my stay field on the application form?
Also, should I explain further regarding my source of funds in my SOP?

babibada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Both of them are OK.

You’d better provide some evidence to show the relationship between you and your parents. Further more, show them your parents’ job statements or something else to prove how your parents got the money are also helpful.

Reactions: bp8492

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
Both of them are OK.

You’d better provide some evidence to show the relationship between you and your parents. Further more, show them your parents’ job statements or something else to prove how your parents got the money are also helpful.
Understood.
In my country, Indonesia, we have a type of national identity document called Kartu Keluarga or Family Card if translated to English and it bears list of members of a nuclear family and their relationships with one another. I guess this alongside the sworn-translated version of it as well job statements would do.

babibada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Understood.
In my country, Indonesia, we have a type of national identity document called Kartu Keluarga or Family Card if translated to English and it bears list of members of a nuclear family and their relationships with one another. I guess this alongside the sworn-translated version of it as well job statements would do.
I know what you are talking about... Exact same thing in China, North Korea, etc... A lot of Asian countries have that.

Reactions: bp8492