+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

sakssey23

Feb 1, 2017
Hi all,

I applied for Citizenship in Aug 2020 but unfortunately I'm still waiting for the test. Only background check is marked as completed in my account. Is anybody else in the same situation as me? And do you have any recommendations for me to speed up this process? I'm getting worried and do not know what has caused this long delay for my application. I already followed up with MP twice but no updates from IRCC yet.

Well, I completed my test last year September and still waiting. Nothing yet aswell.

uncommonfriend

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-02-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
Mississauga office and they are slow too I guess
I am with Mississauga too.. and I have finally decided to hire a lawyer after waiting more than 25 months. I read on some forums that sometimes having a lawyer send a legal notice gets your file picked up (which they put in a locker somewhere perhaps and throw the key away??)

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I am with Mississauga too.. and I have finally decided to hire a lawyer after waiting more than 25 months. I read on some forums that sometimes having a lawyer send a legal notice gets your file picked up (which they put in a locker somewhere perhaps and throw the key away??)
28 months with Kitchener office. I think I have to get back to Canada the end of this month.

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
Please let me know who that works because I am thinking to do it too. Did anyone here worked with a lawyer before and get any results?

uncommonfriend

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-02-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
Please let me know who that works because I am thinking to do it too. Did anyone here worked with a lawyer before and get any results?
Just any lawyers that specialize in immigration law can do that. I went with a recommendation from a relative. But its expensive IMO. At this point I am tired of not getting any response from MPs, GCMS and calling on agents - so might as well throw money at the problem - that seems to be a cure-all for most issues it seems :). I think AT Immigration Law is a popular one. Or DM me and I can send you the name of mine too - they'll probably not be as expensive.

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
Just any lawyers that specialize in immigration law can do that. I went with a recommendation from a relative. But its expensive IMO. At this point I am tired of not getting any response from MPs, GCMS and calling on agents - so might as well throw money at the problem - that seems to be a cure-all for most issues it seems :). I think AT Immigration Law is a popular one. Or DM me and I can send you the name of mine too - they'll probably not be as expensive.
I don’t mind paying some money if I will get some results out of it. Do you know if someone went that road and get it done in a reasonable time?

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I don’t mind paying some money if I will get some results out of it. Do you know if someone went that road and get it done in a reasonable time?
When you reach 27 months, and if your application is routine (e.g. background check is not stuck pending on outside responses, no issues with residency, etc.), filing Writ of Mandamus can be effective. But you need to wait until you are at 27 months and be sure that your file is routine. For now, you should order a fresh set of GCMS notes to see for example if you have a long pending background check, as well as contacting your MP to find out if there is anything wrong with your application.

See this thread for more information:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applicants-waiting-for-more-than-2-years-interested-in-mandamus-with-a-firm-as-a-group-meet-here.743417/page-18

@andrem from the May 2020 applicants is one recent Writ of Mandamus success case. Not even a test invite after 26 months. Then everything finished including citizenship certificate received within under 2 months of his lawyer filing the Mandamus:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2020-citizenship-application.686453/page-144

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
When you reach 27 months, and if your application is routine (e.g. background check is not stuck pending on outside responses, no issues with residency, etc.), filing Writ of Mandamus can be effective. But you need to wait until you are at 27 months and be sure that your file is routine. For now, you should order a fresh set of GCMS notes to see for example if you have a long pending background check, as well as contacting your MP to find out if there is anything wrong with your application.

See this thread for more information:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applicants-waiting-for-more-than-2-years-interested-in-mandamus-with-a-firm-as-a-group-meet-here.743417/page-18

@andrem from the May 2020 applicants is one recent Writ of Mandamus success case. Not even a test invite after 26 months. Then everything finished including citizenship certificate received within under 2 months of his lawyer filing the Mandamus:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/may-2020-citizenship-application.686453/page-144
Thank you for the clarification. I did ordered ATIP 4 months ago and never get any reply for that as well. I finished my exam June 2021 and my BG check is marked as completed since Feb 2021. The last update I get from my MP office last month saying that the officer didn’t started my residency obligations and language check so from these information can I know if my case is routine or not ?

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Thank you for the clarification. I did ordered ATIP 4 months ago and never get any reply for that as well. I finished my exam June 2021 and my BG check is marked as completed since Feb 2021. The last update I get from my MP office last month saying that the officer didn’t started my residency obligations and language check so from these information can I know if my case is routine or not ?
That's good at least that you don't have a stuck background check, which is one common reason for delays. What is your status now? Only background check and test Completed?

uncommonfriend

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-02-2017
Med's Done....
31-03-2017
you can file a complaint with the information commissioner. They usually get the gcms thing moving and closed. Here is the link - https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020
you can file a complaint with the information commissioner. They usually get the gcms thing moving and closed. Here is the link - https://www.oic-ci.gc.ca/en
Thank you for the link. What is also strange for me is that my wife and I have applied together as a family file and her tracker shows everything is completed except oath but for me I am still stuck on back ground and test only completed!