+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attn: Seniors!!! PR Card issues - New passport and new born baby

sajitma

Aug 21, 2010
Hi Seniors,
I had earlier taken lots of advices and support from this forum and according to that I with my spouse and one kid landed at Toronto on Jan 2011. After staying for a month we all returned back home to India. I got my PR card on Jan 2011 itself. As of now am working in middleeast and am planning to move to Canada after getting a relocation from my present employer or a good opening in Canada, and due to the present financial and family issues am planning to shift later next year as I still have 2/5 obligation span left.. Now I had 2 questions to clear:
1. My present passport (with Canada visa) pages are running out, so I will have to issue a new passport from India. My question is about PR validity?? Is PR dependent on visa carrying passport? If I renew my pp, does my current PR gets cancelled??
2. Now we are also expecting a new baby? If the baby is born out of Canada, then what are the procedures to bring her to Canada when am in a position to relocate to Canada...

Pls can someone advice regarding these as I need to take a final decision asap...

Anticipating to get an opt reply soon..

Thanking you all for your support..

Sajit

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Getting a new pp does not make your current PR cancelled.

Either or both of you and your spouse need to go back to Canada in order to sponsor your kid to Canada. Read the cic website for details.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are worried about your PP, you can make copies of it before you renew it.

As for the baby, it is a known headache for a PR to have a baby outside Canada unless the baby has a citizenship that it is visa exempt. Supposing your baby is born in India or the middle east, it will probably have Indian citizenship and will need a visa.

As a PR, you must be in Canada to sponsor your baby for PR. You can not do it from the outside.

If you want to take your baby with you to Canada you would need to apply for a TRV for the baby but it is often denied on the basis that it is not the intention for the baby to stay temporarily. Sometimes you can apply for another visa called TRP for such babies. If you are refused that, you would have to leave the baby behind and go to Canada yourself to sponsor it.

sajitma

Aug 21, 2010
Thank you very much Leon and Steaky.
As you mentioned I will keep a copy of my pp for reference before cancelling..
Regarding the baby, I take it that I could apply for a TRV or a TRP visa when am in India and if CIC grants that visa then I could travel with my new born baby..else if these are rejected then I will have to go to Canada alone and then apply for visa.. I believe then the visa is guaranteed, when I apply personally from Canada...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sajitma said:
Thank you very much Leon and Steaky.
As you mentioned I will keep a copy of my pp for reference before cancelling..
Regarding the baby, I take it that I could apply for a TRV or a TRP visa when am in India and if CIC grants that visa then I could travel with my new born baby..else if these are rejected then I will have to go to Canada alone and then apply for visa.. I believe then the visa is guaranteed, when I apply personally from Canada...
Case 1, if you get the TRV or TRP for the baby, you can take the baby with you to Canada but you still have to sponsor it for PR once you have arrived.

Case 2, if you don't get the TRV or TRP for the baby, you go to Canada alone and sponsor for PR right away but I do not think there is any use trying to apply for TRP again if it was denied already.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
sajitma said:
Hi Seniors,
I had earlier taken lots of advices and support from this forum and according to that I with my spouse and one kid landed at Toronto on Jan 2011. After staying for a month we all returned back home to India. I got my PR card on Jan 2011 itself. As of now am working in middleeast and am planning to move to Canada after getting a relocation from my present employer or a good opening in Canada, and due to the present financial and family issues am planning to shift later next year as I still have 2/5 obligation span left.. Now I had 2 questions to clear:
1. My present passport (with Canada visa) pages are running out, so I will have to issue a new passport from India. My question is about PR validity?? Is PR dependent on visa carrying passport? If I renew my pp, does my current PR gets cancelled??
2. Now we are also expecting a new baby? If the baby is born out of Canada, then what are the procedures to bring her to Canada when am in a position to relocate to Canada...

Pls can someone advice regarding these as I need to take a final decision asap...

Anticipating to get an opt reply soon..

Thanking you all for your support..

Sajit

You are a PR; is your spouse too? If so, then everything Leon says about the difficulties in store trying to get your baby into Canada will be true. So, rather than have to go to Canada, leaving the baby in India, and sponsor the baby to Canada, why not have the mother give birth in Canada, in which case the baby will be a citizen?

But if your spouse is a Canadian citizen, there is a different route, so let us know.

When you renew you passport, some countries will invalidate the old passport but let you keep it for purposes like showing Canada your travel record, days spent in Canada, etc. If there are any documents in the old passport you want to keep valid, ask the passport officer to not invalidate that page. For example, when I renewed my passport in Canada, I asked the Canadian officer to leave untouched the old page where my China visa was attached. They cut off the corners of all the other pages, but not the page for the China visa, and I was able to use it until it expired.

LJo

Jul 29, 2011
Hi Sajitma,

Do keep us posted on what you decide to do...
My situation is very similar,but I have'nt landed yet...I have till June to land and am 4 mths preg,due in Aug.
Were considering landing and leaving back to India to have the baby,then come finally next year,but the entire baby sponsorship etc. seem like a big headache...
Please keep us posted..

Regards.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey LJo,

Why not deliver baby in Canada. Saved you lots of headache... because the baby would be automatically Canadian. If you are worrying about the costs, go to provinces such as Alberta where you have health care coverage immediately and stay there for at least 6 months...