+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attend a 6 months study program with PGWP

ScottCC

Jun 3, 2024
Hi, I hold a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), recently I want to attend a 25-week length study program, which is within 6 months.
According to IRCC, you can use any permit for a program within 6 months, I would put the link below. I also have called IRCC to confirm that.
(https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-188.html)

The only problem is, the program contains 2 parts, and there is a 2 weeks break in between, if that is counted it would make the program longer than 6 months.
I talked with the institute, and they said the break is not counted in the program length, it should still be 25 weeks. However as I spoke to an IRCC agent by phone,
she could not confirm if the break is excluded or not, she could only confirm what I mentioned above.

Does anybody know about this? Thanks for your reply!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I hold a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), recently I want to attend a 25-week length study program, which is within 6 months.
According to IRCC, you can use any permit for a program within 6 months, I would put the link below. I also have called IRCC to confirm that.

The only problem is, the program contains 2 parts, and there is a 2 weeks break in between, if that is counted it would make the program longer than 6 months.
I talked with the institute, and they said the break is not counted in the program length, it should still be 25 weeks. However as I spoke to an IRCC agent by phone,
she could not confirm if the break is excluded or not, she could only confirm what I mentioned above.

Usually length is measured by start date to end date so would include scheduled breaks in the middle.

diod92

Aug 10, 2018

Can I have an update? I am in a similar situation. I did a 22 week mechanic training + 5 weeks of training. I got my PR but now I want to apply to citizenship and I am required to provide all the details for last 5 years. I am scared that I will have my PR revoked :( I called IRCC and they said the 5 extra weeks of training were not counted into the program length. But now that I graduated I am confused and I hink I might violated my PGWP.