+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Atlantic International Graduate Program (AIGP) - Timelines and Queries

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
Hi! I didn't understand this line in the AIGP requirement -> "have lived in an Atlantic province for at least 16 months in the 2 years before getting your degree, diploma or credential " Does it mean that I have to have lived there for 16 out of the 24 months (course duration) or prior to starting the course? Any help will be highly appreciated. Totally new at this and trying to find my way about. :)
It means you should have lived atleast 16 months in one of the atlantic provinces during the 2 years program.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
I am about to let my employer to submit endorsement application for AIGP and read many posts about long processing time for Pilot Program. I was wondering does anyone know the processing time for endorsement?

Endorsements are issued by the provincial immigration offices, these have set quota for each year and were processed between 1 to 4 weeks before Mar 2020. Not sure how the processing times have varied after Mar 2020 but you can always contact the provincial immigration office to check the current status.

I will gain one year experience in Feb 2021, should I just give up AIPP and apply under Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry at that time?

You can also get qualified for CEC after 1 year of experience in Canada. For any of the PR programs, read the eligibility criteria thoroughly before making a decision.

Experience EE will add 600 pts for me as it is Provincial Nominee Porgram. Or should I apply endorsement now and withdraw it if there is no update on Feb 2021?

Well technically without biometrics services, most of the immigration programs are stalled for PR applicants beginning Mar 2020. But good part with EE is that you will submit it electronically so all your other requirements like eligibility, background and medicals will pass and you will only be left with biometrics for criminality check. I would say check the AIPP page if at all they have changed the paper application format to electronic format for new applications. I have also mentioned above, its better to wait and gain 1 year experience and then apply, you can also check on other threads of PNP forum to assess the present day backlog in processing times of paper applications.

yxyx

Feb 14, 2020
I am about to let my employer to submit endorsement application for AIGP and read many posts about long processing time for Pilot Program. I was wondering does anyone know the processing time for endorsement?

Endorsements are issued by the provincial immigration offices, these have set quota for each year and were processed between 1 to 4 weeks before Mar 2020. Not sure how the processing times have varied after Mar 2020 but you can always contact the provincial immigration office to check the current status.

I will gain one year experience in Feb 2021, should I just give up AIPP and apply under Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry at that time?

You can also get qualified for CEC after 1 year of experience in Canada. For any of the PR programs, read the eligibility criteria thoroughly before making a decision.

Experience EE will add 600 pts for me as it is Provincial Nominee Porgram. Or should I apply endorsement now and withdraw it if there is no update on Feb 2021?

Well technically without biometrics services, most of the immigration programs are stalled for PR applicants beginning Mar 2020. But good part with EE is that you will submit it electronically so all your other requirements like eligibility, background and medicals will pass and you will only be left with biometrics for criminality check. I would say check the AIPP page if at all they have changed the paper application format to electronic format for new applications. I have also mentioned above, its better to wait and gain 1 year experience and then apply, you can also check on other threads of PNP forum to assess the present day backlog in processing times of paper applications.
Thank you so much for the information! Appericated!

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Applied in PEI.

1. Endorsement Application Date: 27 Nov 2019
2. Endorsement Approval Date: 17 Dec 2019
3. PR Application Date: 24 Dec 2019
4. AOR Date: 4 Mar 2020
5. Medical Request Date: 4 Mar 2020
6. Medical Approval Date: 5 Mar 2020
7. Pre-Arrival/COPR: -
8. Interview Request: -
Hi did you receive your pre-arrival or COPR?

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Hi All. Considering the potential delays in response to paper applications at present and in near future, I would like to discuss and seek an opinion if anyone in this group is considering withdrawing AIGP application and re-applying under CEC? or has already done that?
Hi I notice your signature and I believe you have opted for EE CEC. Did you withdraw your AIGP application before applying under CEC? Or you went ahead with applying for CEC, without withdrawing? Can you please share your steps? I have recently reached 1 year of experience, so I would like to consider that.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
Hi I notice your signature and I believe you have opted for EE CEC. Did you withdraw your AIGP application before applying under CEC? Or you went ahead with applying for CEC, without withdrawing? Can you please share your steps? I have recently reached 1 year of experience, so I would like to consider that.
Hi Alanna,

I hope you are doing well. Yes, I chose to go with EE - CEC stream. I first withdrew my AIGP application before creating my EE profile however, I was told by the IRCC agent later that its ok to have two parallel PR applications but of-course you will not get a full refund if either of your application status reflects as in progress. I was instructed by IRCC to submit a letter of explanation along with the payment receipt via webform to request for refund of the application fee and the documents and refund will be issued in 16 weeks( this timeline has passed and I haven’t heard anything). Considering my endorsement expired in May, I assumed that I would not require to contact my employer but they were supposed to be informed of my application withdrawal. I would suggest before withdrawing AIGP, contact your employer because they would require to withdraw the endorsement with provincial immigration office. All the best!

Alanna

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Hi Alanna,

I hope you are doing well. Yes, I chose to go with EE - CEC stream. I first withdrew my AIGP application before creating my EE profile however, I was told by the IRCC agent later that its ok to have two parallel PR applications but of-course you will not get a full refund if either of your application status reflects as in progress. I was instructed by IRCC to submit a letter of explanation along with the payment receipt via webform to request for refund of the application fee and the documents and refund will be issued in 16 weeks( this timeline has passed and I haven’t heard anything). Considering my endorsement expired in May, I assumed that I would not require to contact my employer but they were supposed to be informed of my application withdrawal. I would suggest before withdrawing AIGP, contact your employer because they would require to withdraw the endorsement with provincial immigration office. All the best!
Thank you for your reply. All the best with your EE application!

KHEYROSA

Nov 16, 2019
NB
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2020
AOR Received.
13-01-2021
Hi Alanna,

Hi,

I just submitted my AIGP paper application last Nov 3 to Nova Scotia. My offficemates submitted their application last August but until now, they have not received their AOR as well.

I am considering to submit an application under CEC as well as I find the CEC applications are being processed much faster. However, I have to pay another 3K plus for this one (family package) as well so I am a bit hesitant.

I saw someone submitted an ITA in August and got their AOR already.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cec-applicants-sep-2020-join-here.700894/post-8980687

How was your CEC application? Can you give us an update?

KHEYROSA

Nov 16, 2019
NB
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-11-2020
AOR Received.
13-01-2021
Hello everyone,

I just saw this:

As of August 17, 2020, IRCC will begin accepting online AIP work permit applications. Paper applications will be accepted until September 1, 2020.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/special-initiatives-pilot-project/exemption-code-c18.html

Does this pertains to PR application including AIGP? Has anyone submitted an online application for AIGP? I've been trying to call IRCC regarding this.

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
Hi.

There are many factors and situation involved in deciding which immigration stream would work best for you like how long is your work permit valid, would you require a BOWP in next 6 months because PGWP is one time open work permit given to students post completion of studies in Canada. Unlike AIPP and other provincial programs, in express entry IRCC goes by Comprehensive Ranking System score(Age, Education, Work Experience (In Canada+Foreign Work Experience, English language proficiency(IELTS), similar factors for Spousal score. First and foremost, you will have to check the last cut-off score for CEC (I am not sure what's the current frequency of draw for this stream at the moment) and then compare your score, if you meet the minimum entry criteria for express entry and have a score well above the last cut-off then you can create your express entry profile and get in the pool. In the next draw you will receive an invitation to apply (ITA).

After you accept ITA, you will see a list of document checklist to be uploaded and after you upload all the documents and submit you application, you will automatically receive AOR in your mycic account, its completely online. The AOR can be used to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit(BOWP) in case a person is nearing to the expiry of the existing work permit in Canada. This is the main difference and issue with AIPP, it is a paper based application which requires someone to manually check your paper application and then log it into the system for completeness check after which you will receive the AOR.

My experience with AIPP:

I submitted my paper application in the first week of Feb 2020 and followed up after a month with IRCC, I did get a temporary file no. and was told to wait until end of Mar 2020 for the AOR and that in standard times it takes 90 days to receive an AOR for paper application but after COVID-19 everything changed, I still followed up but there was no progress made until end of May 2020 on my file (where I was thinking that it will get approved by then based on previous application processing times). The other fact I discovered is post-covid, processing times in general for any program indicated on IRCC website are not guaranteed unlike before express entry applications were required to be processed within 6 months but still there was no guarantee for AIPP even if it says 6 months.

My experience with CEC:

In June 2020, I was well above my 1 year experience in Canada and my CRS score was above 500. so I decided to apply under CEC stream of express entry. I got the ITA in June and submitted my application in Jul. I waited for almost a month for my police certificate from my home country because it expired. I received the AOR immediately upon submission of my application. My medicals and biometrics took 2 months to pass and completed. For biometrics, I would say it was just the timing that worked for me because, it stalled express entry application from Mar 2020 because Service Canada offices were closed for finger print collection and those services resumed just around same time when my medicals passed and I received the biometrics letter). So far, I am well within the processing timeframe of 6 months for express entry and have passed critical stages of application like eligibility, medicals, criminality), now waiting for security and final review by the officer for COPR. I haven't heard anything since a month and a half from IRCC. No additional docs. I hope that happens soon.

Now, the usual processing times are definitely impacted even for express entry but at least people are still able to track their applications and there is a progress made.

Post COVID, applicants (including me) were sceptical and develop many theories but the fact is IRCC is working under reduced capacity, certain NOCs are prioritized based on labour market demands and delayed responses from partner organizations like CSIS, CBSA are still causing processing delays.

I hope this will help you in making a decision. Let me know if you have any further questions.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
@intl_stu
HI,
So you mean to say that you have both the paper based (AIGP) and online (CEC) applications in the pipeline?
Also, did you apply for BOWP on the basis of AOR you receive from CEC?
Any update on your AIGP application?

intl_stu

Oct 4, 2017
@intl_stu
HI,
So you mean to say that you have both the paper based (AIGP) and online (CEC) applications in the pipeline?
Also, did you apply for BOWP on the basis of AOR you receive from CEC?
Any update on your AIGP application?
Hi, No I withdrew my AIGP application before applying under CEC. But later came to know both applications can remain active. However, I wanted my entire application fee back for AIGP thats why i withdrew this application first because once the processing starts IRCC won’t fully refund. I still haven't received AOR for AIGP, the latest I know is CIC Sydney office has acknowledged my withdrawal request but I am still waiting to get the refund.

I have not applied for BOWP based on CEC AOR but if you go to CEC threads, many express applicants have done that and have got their BOWP applications approved meanwhile their PR application is in process. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: gta88 and Alanna

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Hi, No I withdrew my AIGP application before applying under CEC. But later came to know both applications can remain active. However, I wanted my entire application fee back for AIGP thats why i withdrew this application first because once the processing starts IRCC won’t fully refund. I still haven't received AOR for AIGP, the latest I know is CIC Sydney office has acknowledged my withdrawal request but I am still waiting to get the refund.

I have not applied for BOWP based on CEC AOR but if you go to CEC threads, many express applicants have done that and have got their BOWP applications approved meanwhile their PR application is in process. I hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing your experience.