+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum seeker child benefits

New_gradutae

May 3, 2024
I'm an international student currently receiving child benefits. I'll soon graduate from my study program and plan to apply for a postgraduate open work permit through flagpoling.

I'm under time constraints to secure a job, generate pay stubs, and renew my family's temporary statuses. Additionally, the likelihood of obtaining regular PR (such as through the skilled person program) appears low.

My wife and children are considering applying for asylum without me.

I'm wondering if I would still be eligible to continue receiving child benefits, given that I've maintained my temporary status. The eligibility criteria don't seem to specify anything about the status of the children who are living with you to receive child benefits.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm an international student currently receiving child benefits. I'll soon graduate from my study program and plan to apply for a postgraduate open work permit through flagpoling.

I'm under time constraints to secure a job, generate pay stubs, and renew my family's temporary statuses. Additionally, the likelihood of obtaining regular PR (such as through the skilled person program) appears low.

I'm wondering if I would still be eligible to continue receiving child benefits, given that I've maintained my temporary status. The eligibility criteria don't seem to specify anything about the status of the children who are living with you to receive child benefits.

To the best of my knowledge you will still qualify for child benefits.

Please make sure you have a very strong refugee case. Once you submit a claim, you will be closing the door to economic immigration.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to flagpole if you plan to submit an asylum claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: New_gradutae

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I understand your feelings. I will be receiving my tax dollars, though, as I will be working same as anyone else here and pay taxes.

still I got no answer :)
No, you don’t understand, that’s the sad part.
That went right over your head

Not in the slightest

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015

Greed, greed and more greed.

New_gradutae

May 3, 2024
Although I don’t have to explain myself as to why I may have to take it this way, I am just letting you know, you don’t know the circumstances of others.

I have been in Canada for more than 7 years, and I didn’t apply for asylum. I was waiting to graduate to work and go through the Canadian Experience Class, unfortunately, could not find another way. Nevertheless, we do have legitimate refugee claims that we didn’t want to use.

So, before giving your judgment or expressing your feelings, ask them what makes them think this way.

You could be of help!"

Here4help

Star Member
Dec 4, 2021
Although I don’t have to explain myself as to why I may have to take it this way, I am just letting you know, you don’t know the circumstances of others.

I have been in Canada for more than 7 years, and I didn’t apply for asylum. I was waiting to graduate to work and go through the Canadian Experience Class, unfortunately, could not find another way. Nevertheless, we do have legitimate refugee claims that we didn’t want to use.

So, before giving your judgment or expressing your feelings, ask them what makes them think this way.

You could be of help!"
Please don’t mind brother and keep your hopes up. Some people on this forum thinks that they owns Canada and specially here to discourage and insult people not to help them. But they are 2-3 only all others on this forum are very helpful and i hope everything will go well for you as well. “Ignore them”.

good luck.

Also please read the reply of Scylla s/he is very experienced and always give you best answer.

Reactions: New_gradutae

New_gradutae

May 3, 2024
Please don’t mind brother and keep your hopes up. Some people on this forum thinks that they owns Canada and specially here to discourage and insult people not to help them. But they are 2-3 only all others on this forum are very helpful and i hope everything will go well for you as well. “Ignore them”.

good luck.

Also please read the reply of Scylla s/he is very experienced and always give you best answer.
Sure, it is totally fine. If they really touched my feelings, then I would have ignored them.
I just know that there will be people in situations harder than mine, and if they come here for help and then face these replies, they would not feel good, which I believe is not why the forum is made.
Thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
D

good luck.

Don't own it.....just pay for it. You should show more gratitude and less entitlement.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Your child benefit will stop the day your Study permit expires but once you obtain your pgwp, they will retro-pay for the missing pay during maintained status.

Reactions: Here4help

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

You could be of help!"
Most likely, Minister will intervene, for many reason one being your dependent qualifies for other trv through you, and if they spent long time in Canada, onus will be on applicants to prove how they face fear of threat and persecution...Its not smooth ride, but yes everyone say my claim is legitimate. All the best