+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking 6 months visitors visa for my in laws my student visa expires Mar 31,2017

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi all,

Hope things are going good for all.

I am an international masters student in Canada. My wife is pregnant ( she is due in Jun 2017) and I am thinking of bringing my father and mother-in-laws for her delivery i.e from Mar2017 to Aug 2017. The issue is I have my student visa valid till only Mar 2017. I am in the process of extending my study permit and wife's OWP. Is it okay to ask 6 months visitors visa to my in laws?? or I have to ask onlu for Mar 17

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. have a great day.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Venkatesh,

Regardless of when your Masters program finishes, asking for a 6-months visa would indicate that your in-laws have weak ties to their home country.

Do keep their visit to 2-3 weeks max. And they must demonstrate their strong ties: Employment or business, property or land ownership, a good financial situation without borrowing from anyone, family ties and previous travel history (if any).

Also mentioning that they will visit to take care of your wife/baby is a big no-no

Cheers

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My wife needs mother- in- laws help badly. I want to keep my mother-in-law in Canada as long as possible.

What if I ditch my father-in-laws application and ask for 6 months visa for mother in law with out mentioning about my wife's pregnancy??. Will this make my application any stronger??

Any suggestions

vrahulan

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Apply for 2-3 weeks, the minimum CIC would give is 6 months.
If their passport is valid for more than 2-3 years, they would be getting a 10 year multiple entry visa.

Keep the days of stay in canada to minimum and strengthen the ties to India. That's all the officer wants to see - strong reasons to return!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
What if I ditch my father-in-laws application and ask for 6 months visa for mother in law with out mentioning about my wife's pregnancy??. Will this make my application any stronger??
Again, asking for a 6-months visit means that your mother-in-law has very weak ties to her home country. This would affect her chances of getting a TRV.

Her application will be stronger ONLY if she can prove that she has strong reasons to return to her home country

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If their passport is valid for more than 2-3 years, they would be getting a 10 year multiple entry visa.
Not true at all. TRVs are never issued beyond the expiry date of passports.

The validity of their TRVs would also depend on the OP's immigration status in Canada + whether the visa officer believes that his in-laws would need to re-visit Canada in the future.

In all probability, his in-laws will only get single-entry 6-months' TRVs for their current applications

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Thanks Bryanna for your inputs.

I will be applying for 3 weeks visa with out mentioning about my wife's pregnancy. Their purpose of visit would be visiting places in Canada.

Thanks

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi Bryanna,

Just want to thank you for inputs you provided while applying visa for my in-laws. Both of them got visa. It would have been a disaster if I asked for 6 months visa and said to help my pregnant wife.

Thank you very much Bryanna.

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
venkatesh jalubula said:
Hi Bryanna,

Just want to thank you for inputs you provided while applying visa for my in-laws. Both of them got visa. It would have been a disaster if I asked for 6 months visa and said to help my pregnant wife.

Thank you very much Bryanna.
Hi Venkatesh,

Can you please help me here ? I also need to apply for Visitor Visa for my In Laws. How do I proceed about it ?

My Mother in law, Father in law and Sister in law would be coming. There are just visiting us.
Me and my wife both are living here since June 2016 on PR. My sister in law is working and Father in law is retired.

It would be great if you could point out the documents required here.

Thanks
Silvi

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi Silvi,

I am not an expert but will share my experience.

1. Letter of invitation: Write a good letter of invitation. Clearly mentions their purpose of the trip i.e are they coming to visit you or travelling in Canada. If they main motto is to visit places in Canada try to provide details of their trip. ( You can provide flight, hotel reservations etc.)

2. Strong home ties: It is really important to convince visa officer that they will return back to their own country. Employment or running an own business would show strong ties. Attach all property documents. Family ties etc..

Dont ask visa for a long time, 2-3 weeks would be the best. Proof of funds are also important.

Thats all I can suggest

Best of luck with your application