+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arriving early in Canada

mt92

Jan 19, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have received an acceptance letter, and my semester starts in September. I know that my next step is to apply for a visa, i am going to apply online as I know it is faster. I also know that I will be issued a study permit upon arrival for the duration of my program.
Here is my question, how early is acceptable for me to arrive in Canada? The thing is, my parents are permanent residents in Canada, so I would much rather come to Canada in May or June and spend the summer over there with them before starting my program in September.
Is that possible and will the immigration officers give me a hard time because of that?
Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Other can comment but they usually only like people to arrive only upto a couple of months before they are due to start their course given raises suspicions a student might start working before the course starts which would be illegal.

Given your parents are PRs CBSA may look upon your situation differently that your parents will support you with accommodation/finance through to September but there is no way to know for sure, maybe June would be fine but as said others who have arrived early can chip in with a view. Alternatively of course could always arrive as a visitor and flagpole your study permit closer to the time but as said might not be necessary.

First step though is to actually get that study permit applied for, good luck

mt92

Jan 19, 2017
Bs65 said:
Other can comment but they usually only like people to arrive only upto a couple of months before they are due to start their course given raises suspicions a student might start working before the course starts which would be illegal.

Given your parents are PRs CBSA may look upon your situation differently that your parents will support you with accommodation/finance through to September but there is no way to know for sure, maybe June would be fine but as said others who have arrived early can chip in with a view. Alternatively of course could always arrive as a visitor and flagpole your study permit closer to the time but as said might not be necessary.

First step though is to actually get that study permit applied for, good luck
Than you for your response.
Just one more thing interests me now, as you touched that subject. I am aware of the fact that I could work while studying. And from the thing you said, even if I would arrive a bit early, and get my study permit, I would be able to work only when the semester starts, is that correct?
Cheers.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mt92 said:
Than you for your response.
Just one more thing interests me now, as you touched that subject. I am aware of the fact that I could work while studying. And from the thing you said, even if I would arrive a bit early, and get my study permit, I would be able to work only when the semester starts, is that correct?
Cheers.
If you arrive that early, there is the very real possibility of being refused entry and told to return closer to when your studies start.

No, you can't work before you start studying.

mt92

Jan 19, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
If you arrive that early, there is the very real possibility of being refused entry and told to return closer to when your studies start.

No, you can't work before you start studying.
They could refuse my entry for arriving 2 months early even though I have quite a good reason for coming then? (spending the summer with parents who live there as PRs).

varunnarayan

Jun 15, 2015
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-0
Firstly , Getting a study permit with a close permanent resident in Canada is like asking the agent for a refusal. If you browse through this forum, You will notice that most refusal threads would contain the statement.

" The agent was not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of his studies " . This means that the person has a family member or other relatives living in Canada who might sponsor him and let him stay back. So, I suppose you come up with a strong reason on your SOP in order to prove that you'll leave after you finish studies.

On the other hand , Stop worrying about travelling before you get your visa , You'll feel really low if you have high hopes before applying for visa and unfortunately end up with a refusal.

Good luck lad.

mt92

Jan 19, 2017
varunnarayan said:
Firstly , Getting a study permit with a close permanent resident in Canada is like asking the agent for a refusal. If you browse through this forum, You will notice that most refusal threads would contain the statement.

" The agent was not satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada at the end of his studies " . This means that the person has a family member or other relatives living in Canada who might sponsor him and let him stay back. So, I suppose you come up with a strong reason on your SOP in order to prove that you'll leave after you finish studies.

On the other hand , Stop worrying about travelling before you get your visa , You'll feel really low if you have high hopes before applying for visa and unfortunately end up with a refusal.

Good luck lad.
Well that makes sense. Last year my brother got his visitor visa approved so he could visit them for a couple of months, so I hope that they will give me a similar treatment haha, thank you...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mt92 said:
They could refuse my entry for arriving 2 months early even though I have quite a good reason for coming then? (spending the summer with parents who live there as PRs).
Yes, they could still refuse you entry.