+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arranged marriage from Gaza: haven't met wife due to siege

n74i4

May 18, 2010
Now it looks like there is a chance to see her, but once I see her, I have to stay with her or take her out of Gaza to fly back to Canada with me, but my current work doesn't want to give me a leave without pay for 6 months (time my application might get finalized in Egypt)..
I was thinking about applying to EI since I will be jobless till I come back to Canada and I was forced to resign in order to go and see my wife..I don't know if I should do this or not.
I don't know what that would mean for my case.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
Unless you are a Canadian Citizen you won't be able to sponsor your wife from overseas.

If you are a Canadian Citizen, then you will be able to sponsor without proof of income - however, you will have to show proof of intent to return to Canada to live once your wife attains PR status. This can include job offer / proof of interviews set up, accommodation arrangements (rental / ownership or letter of support from family or friends) etc.

Good luck and I hope you get to see her soon.

:)

canindian

Star Member
Sep 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
Doc's Request.
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
18-08-2010
Med's Done....
20-03-2010
Interview........
10-11-2010 Success!!!!
Passport Req..
14-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
11-11-2010
LANDED..........
arriving 26-11-2010
n74i4 said:
Now it looks like there is a chance to see her, but once I see her, I have to stay with her or take her out of Gaza to fly back to Canada with me, but my current work doesn't want to give me a leave without pay for 6 months (time my application might get finalized in Egypt)..
I was thinking about applying to EI since I will be jobless till I come back to Canada and I was forced to resign in order to go and see my wife..I don't know if I should do this or not.
I don't know what that would mean for my case.
I may be wrong here and I hope I am not speaking out of turn, but I don't think you would be eligible for EI as you are out of the country and not actively seeking work and would not be available for work should it present itself. I have been told that when you leave the country your passport is flagged for EI purposes and the payments would stop. You are also not eligible for EI if you quit your job without cause. It is a very tough situation you are in. I wish you luck.

n74i4

May 18, 2010
I am a Canadian citizen. As I pointed out in the original post my initial problem was that I am applying without ever having seen my wife (marriage by proxy). I have got a rare opportunity to go and visit her but the problem is that when I visit her I'll have to take her with me (complex cultural reasons). I will try setup in Egypt with her till her PR gets approved. Could this pose a problem?
As for my work, it's obvious that I am not resigning voluntarily, will it help my case if I have a letter from my current employer stating that I was forced to resign because the length of leave without pay was too long despite the reasons.

By the way, I applied in June and they opened my file at the Embassy recently.

BamBamBing

Star Member
Jun 3, 2010
App. Filed.......
End of March
Doc's Request.
End of April and End of May
AOR Received.
Mid-April
File Transfer...
Mid-May
Med's Done....
Mid-May
canindian said:
I have been told that when you leave the country your passport is flagged for EI purposes and the payments would stop.
This is true, you can't collect EI while out of Canada

Yaya Marei

Aug 25, 2010
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/8/2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 2010
Med's Request
1l7 2011
Med's Done....
3/7 /2011
Interview........
28/6/2011
Passport Req..
17/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
21/8/2011
LANDED..........
31/8 /2011 Insallah
Hi Bro

do not warry , the office in Damascus have samilier case like yours, they are trained to this, they know the culture and the all things around Gaza ,
I believe you have good chance,

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
I'm pretty sure that collecting IE can in itself hurt your application as you being on social assistance doesn't bode well for your ability to support your spouse. Then again, if you've already been approved as a sponsor then maybe it's no longer relevant. But I'm pretty sure that the last couple of posters are correct and you cannot claim EI unless you can prove that you are actively searching for work and cannot find any.

I also think it would be a much more difficult process than you think to get EI... your employer can deny your request for unpaid leave but unless you can prove that this somehow is against your employee rights that doesn't constitute getting fired. Your boss is not in any way required to give you 6 months unpaid leave so you can go visit your spouce. Your employer would have to actually fire you in a legal manner in accordance with employment standards or they'll be subjecting themselves to potential problems which in turn could lead to a fraud case against you as well.

There are also requirements about being legally in a country while you apply (don't know how long she can be in Egypt for legally)... I understand you've already applied but if there is an interview requested (which seems likely) and it comes out that there's anythng that isn't being done 100% correctly it's just going to give them more reason to refuse your application.

good luck

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You won't be able to get EI legally - you have to be in Canada and prove you are searching for work.
You can sponsor your spouse while you are outside Canada (since you are a Canadian citizen), and you do not need an income to sponsor a spouse, so if you can afford to stay with your wife outside Canada while the visa is being processed, you won't be refused because you don't have a job.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Tough situation bro, I feel your pain and have nothing to say but the words of comfort and posters above have mentioned most of what I would've said. I thought I was in a bad situation, but after hearing your story I might have to change my mind. I wish you good luck, I would also try giving CIC a call and explaining the situation and see if they have any better idea to help you out. Good Luck my friend!!!

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
waitingintz said:
I'm pretty sure that collecting IE can in itself hurt your application as you being on social assistance doesn't bode well for your ability to support your spouse. Then again, if you've already been approved as a sponsor then maybe it's no longer relevant. But I'm pretty sure that the last couple of posters are correct and you cannot claim EI unless you can prove that you are actively searching for work and cannot find any.

I also think it would be a much more difficult process than you think to get EI... your employer can deny your request for unpaid leave but unless you can prove that this somehow is against your employee rights that doesn't constitute getting fired. Your boss is not in any way required to give you 6 months unpaid leave so you can go visit your spouce. Your employer would have to actually fire you in a legal manner in accordance with employment standards or they'll be subjecting themselves to potential problems which in turn could lead to a fraud case against you as well.

There are also requirements about being legally in a country while you apply (don't know how long she can be in Egypt for legally)... I understand you've already applied but if there is an interview requested (which seems likely) and it comes out that there's anythng that isn't being done 100% correctly it's just going to give them more reason to refuse your application.

good luck
EI doesn't considered as social assistance. And you can still qualify for EI, if you are following up with spouse in difference city or province for a valid reason. But you are not eligible for EI if you are out of Canada

You pay EI premium for every dollar you earn from your pay cheque. So it is like an Insurance Money, and not social assistance.

dalmar

Feb 28, 2014
i was silent reader of you case i'd like to ask you if your wife's sponsorship was approved or not plz reply as my friend's situation is same as you were?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
dalmar said:
i was silent reader of you case i'd like to ask you if your wife's sponsorship was approved or not plz reply as my friend's situation is same as you were?
As the OP was last active on the forum on 31 May 2012, I think that you may be wasting your time... However, see http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/unconventional-proof-of-true-love-t98503.0.html;msg1364079#msg1364079