+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are essential checks like physical presence done towards the end of the Citizenship process?

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
Are checks like physical presence among the last steps of the Citizenship application? It sounds pretty painful to wait out a whole year or two just to see you didn't meet specific criteria hence the application is returned and you have to start all over again.

AoR just verifies that the info required by IRCC is sufficient and not that they're all valid.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are checks like physical presence among the last steps of the Citizenship application? It sounds pretty painful to wait out a whole year or two just to see you didn't meet specific criteria hence the application is returned and you have to start all over again.

AoR just verifies that the info required by IRCC is sufficient and not that they're all valid.
AoR only confirms you've submitted all of the required paperwork. It doesn't mean IRCC has verified you meet the residency obligation and qualify for citizenship.

There's an easy solution to your concern. Don't apply for citizenship until you are sure you have enough days to meet the requirement.

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
I think I have met the requirement but just to be super clear really. Shouldn't the checks be done at the initial stage of the process instead? Oh well.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I think I have met the requirement but just to be super clear really. Shouldn't the checks be done at the initial stage of the process instead? Oh well.
As @scylla said, YOU should know if you meet the requirements or not. If you're not sure then wait longer until you are sure. You are wasting your and IRCC's time if you apply before you qualify and as you said, have to start the process over again.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
People generally recommend a buffer of at least 1 month when applying for citizenship to avoid any potential delays or issues. Nothing wrong with applying with 1095 on the dot if you've never left Canada all that time or if you're really sure.

Besides you can also verify the count on the physical presence calculator.
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Last edited:

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
Are there any factors other than physical presence that could result in a return of an application?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Missing picture? Honestly it's hard to muck up a citizenship application. And I believe lacking physical presence will not result in an automatic return/rejection, but what they call RQ or residency questionnaire.

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
Missing picture? Honestly it's hard to muck up a citizenship application. And I believe lacking physical presence will not result in an automatic return/rejection, but what they call RQ or residency questionnaire.
So it will certainly not result in an application rejection? Others' responses don't attest to

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
So it will certainly not result in an application rejection? Others' responses don't attest to
My bad, “immediate” was a better word than “automatic” for my previous response, but yes the application will eventually be rejected.