+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are CIC awarding the correct scores for EE?

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I ran my information through a couple of EE calculators at ruichenlaw.com/eecalc/ and canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html and both gave me a score of 411.

However on my official EE submission, I've only got a score of 249 entering the exact same information (I've checked, checked and checked again).

I've worked out that as I do not have ECA for my degree, CIC are not recognising it and not applying 112 points. I've now applied to WES so hopefully that will be corrected soon.

However, the other part where there is a difference is the Skills Transferability section. I'll be applying in the CEC class as I have worked in Canada on a 3 year Temp Work Permit (no LMIA) since 2012 and have been working under the same NOC code 0601 here and in the UK previously since 2004. I have also taken the English test scoring full points for the 4 sections (reading, writing, etc).

The maximum you can get in this section is 100 points and the calculators (below) are showing I have 150 points available which should give me those maximum 100 points available.

SKILL TRANSFERABILITY COMBOS (100 maximum)
Factor Maximum points Your points
Education and language 50 25
Education and Canadian work 50 25
Foreign work and language 50 50
Foreign work and Canadian work 50 50
Trade certificate and language 50 0

I'm guessing my EE submission is ignoring my Education Degree as I haven't got ECA yet. However, my EE submission has only awarded me 50 points total for the Foreign Work Experience section despite me passing all Language, Foreign Work and Canadian Work requirements. But shouldn't I be getting 50points for Foreign Work/Language and 50 points for Foreign Work/Canadian Work as the calculator shows?

Or are the calculators not correct in how they're assessing the Skills Transferability scores?

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had the same confusion.
I think it works like this :
For Education its maximum 50 points :
Education and language 25
Education and Canadian work 25 = Total 50 points

same for foreign work :
Foreign work and language 50
Foreign work and Canadian work 50 = total 50 points only.

in all you should get 100 points in skills factors.

pranaEE2015

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/01/2016
Doc's Request.
20/01/2016
Nomination.....
18-11-2015
AOR Received.
19/01/2016
IELTS Request
L-9, R-9, S-7.5, W-7
Med's Request
20/01/2016
Med's Done....
21/01/2016
Passport Req..
26/04/2016
cheesycheese said:
Hi all,

I ran my information through a couple of EE calculators at ruichenlaw.com/eecalc/ and canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html and both gave me a score of 411.

However on my official EE submission, I've only got a score of 249 entering the exact same information (I've checked, checked and checked again).

I've worked out that as I do not have ECA for my degree, CIC are not recognising it and not applying 112 points. I've now applied to WES so hopefully that will be corrected soon.

However, the other part where there is a difference is the Skills Transferability section. I'll be applying in the CEC class as I have worked in Canada on a 3 year Temp Work Permit (no LMIA) since 2012 and have been working under the same NOC code 0601 here and in the UK previously since 2004. I have also taken the English test scoring full points for the 4 sections (reading, writing, etc).

The maximum you can get in this section is 100 points and the calculators (below) are showing I have 150 points available which should give me those maximum 100 points available.

SKILL TRANSFERABILITY COMBOS (100 maximum)
Factor Maximum points Your points
Education and language 50 25
Education and Canadian work 50 25
Foreign work and language 50 50
Foreign work and Canadian work 50 50
Trade certificate and language 50 0

I'm guessing my EE submission is ignoring my Education Degree as I haven't got ECA yet. However, my EE submission has only awarded me 50 points total for the Foreign Work Experience section despite me passing all Language, Foreign Work and Canadian Work requirements. But shouldn't I be getting 50points for Foreign Work/Language and 50 points for Foreign Work/Canadian Work as the calculator shows?

Or are the calculators not correct in how they're assessing the Skills Transferability scores?
Hi cheesycheese,

The calculator on CIC website is perfectly correct. Do you mind sharing your details like age, experience, Education, IELTS score, whether single or accompanied with spouse etc. If accompanied by spose, what are his/her education and Ielts score.

You stated that you don't have ECA, that is minus 112 (like you mentioned).
Secondly you will only get 100 on skills transferability if you scored CLB 9 on all 4 IELTS sections. If not, then I am afraid you can only get 50 points. I am assuming you do not have CLB 9 and hence got only 50 here. So deduct another 50.

So, 411 - 112 - 50 = 249!!!!

I hope that clarifies!!!!

+1 for the efforts please, if you found this helpful!

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pranaEE2015 said:
Hi cheesycheese,

The calculator on CIC website is perfectly correct. Do you mind sharing your details like age, experience, Education, IELTS score, whether single or accompanied with spouse etc. If accompanied by spose, what are his/her education and Ielts score.

You stated that you don't have ECA, that is minus 112 (like you mentioned).
Secondly you will only get 100 on skills transferability if you scored CLB 9 on all 4 IELTS sections. If not, then I am afraid you can only get 50 points. I am assuming you do not have CLB 9 and hence got only 50 here. So deduct another 50.

So, 411 - 112 - 50 = 249!!!!

I hope that clarifies!!!!

+1 for the efforts please, if you found this helpful!
Hi Prana,

All the personal scores for me and my spouse are correct so the 249 is correct and I'm happy with that. I also understand losing the 112 until my ECA comes through.

But as far as skills transferability;

Scored 10, 10, 11 and 12 in the IELTS so I'm max points for Language.
Have 12 years experience in my NOC code from 2003 until now (10 years UK and 2.5 years Canada).
BSc (Honours) Degree from the UK but no ECA yet.

So if the calculators are correct, the calculators have given me the correct points so I should be given the 100pts maximum for this section by CIC. As mentioned my EE submission has only given me 50pts though.

I'm confused?

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the_lion said:
I had the same confusion.
I think it works like this :
For Education its maximum 50 points :
Education and language 25
Education and Canadian work 25 = Total 50 points

same for foreign work :
Foreign work and language 50
Foreign work and Canadian work 50 = total 50 points only.

in all you should get 100 points in skills factors.
This might explain it if you can only get a maximum of 50pts for Foreign Work regardless of if it's linked to Language or Canadian Work. So even though there's 100pts available for Foreign Work and 100pts available for Education, you can only actually score a maximum of 50pts for each of the 2 categories to make up the 100pts maximum for Skills Transferability.

That would make sense with how CIC have scored my EE submission....but means the calculators are working it out incorrectly.

Thanks Lion.

pranaEE2015

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/01/2016
Doc's Request.
20/01/2016
Nomination.....
18-11-2015
AOR Received.
19/01/2016
IELTS Request
L-9, R-9, S-7.5, W-7
Med's Request
20/01/2016
Med's Done....
21/01/2016
Passport Req..
26/04/2016
cheesycheese said:
Hi Prana,

All the personal scores for me and my spouse are correct so the 249 is correct and I'm happy with that. I also understand losing the 112 until my ECA comes through.

Have 12 years experience in my NOC code from 2003 until now (10 years UK and 2.5 years Canada).

So if the calculators are correct, the calculators have given me the correct points so I should be given the 100pts maximum for this section by CIC. As mentioned my EE submission has only given me 50pts though.

I'm confused?
Hi Cheesycheese,

You have a fabulous language score! Sorry for misjudging that.
So that clarifies. Since you do not have ECA you are not scoring the Education related points (I am guessing 50) in the skills transferability.

Getting your ECA should put your back on track with 411!!!

All the best!

bj291

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
cheesycheese said:
Hi Prana,

I'm confused?
How did you get 10s, 11s and 12s in the IELTS exam? They score you on a 1-9 band whereas when you covert those bands to CLB level - I think CLB level 10 is where you get the maximum points. So can you throw some light as to how you got more than 10?

pranaEE2015

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/01/2016
Doc's Request.
20/01/2016
Nomination.....
18-11-2015
AOR Received.
19/01/2016
IELTS Request
L-9, R-9, S-7.5, W-7
Med's Request
20/01/2016
Med's Done....
21/01/2016
Passport Req..
26/04/2016
bj291 said:
How did you get 10s, 11s and 12s in the IELTS exam? They score you on a 1-9 band whereas when you covert those bands to CLB level - I think CLB level 10 is where you get the maximum points. So can you throw some light as to how you got more than 10?
Well the 10s, 11s and 12s are CLB levels here and not IELTS units' score!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Can't find the exact section from Ministerial instructions at the moment. But IIRC, skill transferability section are separate to max 50 points for work experiences and max 50 points for trade certificates. You maxed out 50 pts on the work experiences, but got 0 in trade part (assume you don't have a trade cert?)

Don't quote on me just yet.

In a sense that makes good sense for people in a trade because the Core part of CRS has put heavy emphasis on education, which many of these people don't have. (Trade cert is not a bachelor degree) And in fact Canada has been constantly in high demand on tradesperson.

bj291 said:
I think @cheesycheese meant he got CLB10+ in IELTS, that's how the max language score comes from. IELTS has always been 1-9 scale

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bj291 said:
I took the CELPIP 2014 Language Test (not sure why I wrote IELTS - sorry!) which was required for the Canadian Economic Class PR application last year that they've just capped. CELPIP marks each category out of 12 so I scored 10, 10, 11 and 12 out of the 12 points available for each category. As I'm actually English and can only speak English, I'm amazed that I dropped any points at all! ;D

EEKnowledge

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
EE score is the correct one. If there was a clash/mistake I would discard other calculators and only take into account the EE score provided by the CIC website.

fuyiii

Jan 21, 2015
cheesycheese said:
I took the CELPIP 2014 Language Test (not sure why I wrote IELTS - sorry!) which was required for the Canadian Economic Class PR application last year that they've just capped. CELPIP marks each category out of 12 so I scored 10, 10, 11 and 12 out of the 12 points available for each category. As I'm actually English and can only speak English, I'm amazed that I dropped any points at all! ;D

LOL this is hilarious!! there is no hope for us ESLs hahaha

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fuyiii said:
LOL this is hilarious!! there is no hope for us ESLs hahaha
The 4 hour exam took me 90 minutes and even then it was because I had to wait for the computer to catch up. I probably made some mistakes because I was rushing through it and being a little sarcastic in some of my answers. ;D

The funniest thing was I spotted an error in the Language Test itself and when I tried to explain it to the examiner (who was Chinese), she couldn't understand me! Haha!...so I gave up and went home.

EEKnowledge

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
cheesycheese said:
The 4 hour exam took me 90 minutes and even then it was because I had to wait for the computer to catch up. I probably made some mistakes because I was rushing through it and being a little sarcastic in some of my answers. ;D

The funniest thing was I spotted an error in the Language Test itself and when I tried to explain it to the examiner (who was Chinese), she couldn't understand me! Haha!...so I gave up and went home.
Test factors include grammar, sentence structure, build-up and segue's ... and is not based upon test taker being English.

cheesycheese

Star Member
Jan 28, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EEKnowledge said:
EE score is the correct one. If there was a clash/mistake I would discard other calculators and only take into account the EE score provided by the CIC website.
mf4361 said:
Can't find the exact section from Ministerial instructions at the moment. But IIRC, skill transferability section are separate to max 50 points for work experiences and max 50 points for trade certificates. You maxed out 50 pts on the work experiences, but got 0 in trade part (assume you don't have a trade cert?)
Yep, I've got my head round it now with all the advice. The EE score is correct and the calculators on this site and the legal site I checked are calculating it wrong.

There's 100 points available for Skills Transferability and you can claim those 100 points with a maximum of 50 points for Education, Foreign Work Experience and Trade Qualifications. And even then in each of those categories where the maximum you can claim is 50 points, there are more than 50 points available. So for example, Foreign Work Experience maximum is 50 points but you can qualify for those 50 points with Foreign Work/Language (50pts available) or Foreign Work/Canada Work (50pts available).

So I currently have 50 points maximum (even though I scored 100pts in that section) for Foreign Work Experience and as soon as I receive my ECA for my UK Bachelors Degree, it will add back 112 for the Degree itself but will also trigger an extra 50 points for Education and I'll hit my 411 score.

Appreciate the input and advice chaps.

Good luck with your applications.