+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved study permit and OWP (spouse)

Lilohan

Oct 26, 2020
Hi, I would be grateful if you can help me with a couple of questions.
My husband holds a valid visa with a letter of introduction for a study permit (as well as a valid acceptance letter from a DLI which is on an approved list), and I am his spouse who holds a valid visa with a letter of introduction for an OWP. My husband's classes start in mid-January, and we have a quarantine plan too.

I have a few small questions:
1. Do I (the spouse) need a written authorization from IRCC if I travel to Canada together WITH my husband (an international student)? I mean not to reunite at a later date, but travel together. As far as I read on the IRCC website I don't need it, but I still need to show that my reasons for travel are non-discretionary at POE.
2. If so, as a holder of the letter of introduction for OWP do I need a job offer to show that my reasons for travel are essential (non-discretionary)? And what does it mean to have "a valid job offer" in mine case? Since OWP doesn't require LMIA or Offer of Employment, could I show at POE a simple job offer letter from a Canadian employer (I do have one)? Will it be sufficient?

It would be great to hear if someone has a similar situation, thanks!

Lilohan

Oct 26, 2020
1. Yes, you will need to apply for authorization regardless unless you are travelling from USA

2. You don’t need a job offer to apply for travel exemption, see this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs for information on how to apply for one
Thank you for your reply. I am just confused about the written authorization from IRCC. You mentioned that I still need it, but why then IRCC says that I don't need one if I travel with my spouse, please check this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#exemptions. As far as I understand place of departure matters only if they join me later.

If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada.

If they travel with you
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If they join you later
If you’re already in Canada, or will travel to Canada by yourself first and your family will join you later, what they need to travel to Canada depends on where they’re travelling from. Find out what they need to join you in Canada. They may also need an eTA or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I am just confused about the written authorization from IRCC. You mentioned that I still need it, but why then IRCC says that I don't need one if I travel with my spouse, please check this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#exemptions. As far as I understand place of departure matters only if they join me later.

If immediate family members want to be with you in Canada
Your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada.

If they travel with you
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If they join you later
If you’re already in Canada, or will travel to Canada by yourself first and your family will join you later, what they need to travel to Canada depends on where they’re travelling from. Find out what they need to join you in Canada. They may also need an eTA or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.
The airline could refuse you boarding if they don’t want to risk determining if your reason for travel qualify as non-discretionary. Airlines are responsible for the cost of your return flight if you are denied entry so airlines tend to be very cautious. It is up to you if you want to take the risk.

Lilohan

Oct 26, 2020
The airline could refuse you boarding if they don’t want to risk determining if your reason for travel qualify as non-discretionary. Airlines are responsible for the cost of your return flight if you are denied entry so airlines tend to be very cautious. It is up to you if you want to take the risk.
Thank you for your reply. Actually, I already requested a written authorization, but still curious about the job offer. Basically, a person with the letter of introduction for the OWP, a job offer (is it a job offer letter?), and ready to work right after the mandatory quarantine period should be allowed to enter. I saw someone mentioned that here on the forum and even called Border Agency who confirmed it, but I am not sure if it really works.