+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appreciate the courtesy of your response (TRV Medical suffice for PR Medical??)

GT1234

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Toronto
Hi..Was recommended by a friend to this forum.. He mentioned I would find sharp-info-geniuses here :)

On Sep 4th 2013, I received a notification to get the Immigration Medal Exam done for me (primary applicant) and my wife (dependent).

My wife, who has applied for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to Canada had her medicals done on Sep 3rd 2013 , and submitted the same to Canadian Consulate in India the next day. She got her TRV after 5 days.

The question is:

- Does she need to undergo Immigration Medical Exam again for the PR purposes or would the medical exam for TRV suffice since it is only few weeks old?
- How do I notify CIO Nova Scotia (not CPP-O) as CPP-O replied in email that you have to notify the Nova Scotia office as my application is with them. Any ph #/email to contact/notify them?

I have made numerous calls to CIC Call Center, albeit all in vain as I have heard different answer from every agent I spoke to.

Thank you for your time, appreciate if you may have any information on this.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A medical assessment is interchangeable and can be used for other immigration categories, unless the medical officer imposed one of the following limitations on the assessment:

The most commonly used limitations are:

“Assessed as excessive demand exempt only”. A new immigration medical examination is required if the applicant applies under an immigration category that is no longer excessive demand exempt (e.g. the foreign national applied as sponsored spouse (FC-1) and now applies as Federal Skilled Worker)
“Assessed as Temporary Resident only”. A new immigration medical examination is required if the applicant applies for permanent resident status or extend his or her stay in Canada.
As I understand it from the documents on the CIC website, the assessment of a medical examination is performed differently for a TRV and a PR application. Therefore the medical examination should be retaken so that the new one can be assessed as a PR application examination.

GT1234

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Toronto
Thank you for the reply Zardoz.

Appreciate if you can share the doc/web link that you are referring to.

I contacted the local doctor who mentioned that medical is same, and it is valid for 12 months which is what I found searching online. He suggested get in touch with the immigration office and inform them.

That said, CPP-O wants me to contact CIO Nova Scotia as my application is with them. Can't find there contact number/email. I believe sending a written doc to them seems to be the only option (which again might take time for them to acknowledge considering the bulk of applications that they receive). At this moment I am vary about the 60 day Medical timeline.

Another question though: Is the Medical received in ECAS updated when they receive medical for all family members or do they notify whose thay have received and who they are waiting on?

Thanks again for your timely reply.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
GT1234 said:
Thank you for the reply Zardoz.

Appreciate if you can share the doc/web link that you are referring to.

I contacted the local doctor who mentioned that medical is same, and it is valid for 12 months which is what I found searching online. He suggested get in touch with the immigration office and inform them.

That said, CPP-O wants me to contact CIO Nova Scotia as my application is with them. Can't find there contact number/email. I believe sending a written doc to them seems to be the only option (which again might take time for them to acknowledge considering the bulk of applications that they receive). At this moment I am vary about the 60 day Medical timeline.

Another question though: Is the Medical received in ECAS updated when they receive medical for all family members or do they notify whose thay have received and who they are waiting on?

Thanks again for your timely reply.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/using.asp under the section :- "Limitations on the immigration medical assessment".

The actual medical exam is almost certainly identical EXCEPT that it will be flagged as a PR examination. This will cause those in the RMO who actually do the medical assessment to apply different rules to their findings. Don't forget that the the visa office does not see the actual medical results, only the coding from the assessment. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/coding.asp

I don't know how they change ECAS for multiple dependants on an application. Does each dependent have his/her own ECAS entry? If so, I would expect each one to be updated independently.

GT1234

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for the info.

I'll get in touch with a different RMO and see what he says as the first one mentioned that there was no need as the medical was done just 2 weeks ago.

Not sure about how the case-specific info is uploaded on E-CAS. I am assuming that once CIO NS receives all the requested info (medicals from all the family members applied in the PR in my case) they would update it and send it to CPP-O.

So I guess it would be hard to track medical on individual basis, unless some other members on this forum has additional information to add on.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
GT1234 said:
Thanks for the info.

I'll get in touch with a different RMO and see what he says as the first one mentioned that there was no need as the medical was done just 2 weeks ago.

Not sure about how the case-specific info is uploaded on E-CAS. I am assuming that once CIO NS receives all the requested info (medicals from all the family members applied in the PR in my case) they would update it and send it to CPP-O.

So I guess it would be hard to track medical on individual basis, unless some other members on this forum has additional information to add on.
Don't get the acronyms confused. A Regional Medical Office is where the Panel Physician (DMP) sends the medical test results to be assessed.

eds1275

Champion Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2013
AOR Received.
17-02-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
17-02-2013
Med's Request
04-11-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on 17-12-2013)
LANDED..........
19-12-2013 (Peace Bridge, Fort Erie)
Did cic accept medical results? Please confirm.

Thanks!

GT1234 said:
Thanks for the info.

eds1275

Champion Member
Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2013
AOR Received.
17-02-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
17-02-2013
Med's Request
04-11-2013
Med's Done....
06-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on 17-12-2013)
LANDED..........
19-12-2013 (Peace Bridge, Fort Erie)
I just read from the cic handbook www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op15-eng.pdf#page27 , that officer may review the medical exam done for trv. See page 27, section 16 fully.

i'm assuming that my spouses medical results are in the cic / rmo database - please correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyways, I emailed cic - lets see what they reply :)

zardoz said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/using.asp under the section :- "Limitations on the immigration medical assessment".

The actual medical exam is almost certainly identical EXCEPT that it will be flagged as a PR examination. This will cause those in the RMO who actually do the medical assessment to apply different rules to their findings. Don't forget that the the visa office does not see the actual medical results, only the coding from the assessment. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/coding.asp

I don't know how they change ECAS for multiple dependants on an application. Does each dependent have his/her own ECAS entry? If so, I would expect each one to be updated independently.

SKoul

Dec 2, 2013
GT1234 said:
Thanks for the info.

Hello. Did you manage to find the answer to your original query? My situation is very similar to yours. My wife is supposed to appear for her TRV Medical Examination tomorrow (Dec 14, 2013). However, we also received our PR (CEC) Medical Request on Dec 12, 2013. I am not sure if she has to appear for her medical test twice or would the TRV specific medical be sufficient.