+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Visitor Visa Outside Canada to COPR

4sgma.realty

Jun 24, 2023
Hi Everyone,

This is an urgent question I need answers since I need to come back to Canada before September 24, 2023. My case is a little bit complex. Hope to hear your feedback! :)

A little background about me. I first came to Canada as a student last May 2019 and graduated December 2019. Got my PGWP by May 2020 and had an extension of it from May 2021 - November 2022. Applied for EE and got my ITA under CEC stream last September 2022 and had my medical examination on same month. I went home last October 30 because of family reasons and because my extended PGWP was expiring. But before I went home I submitted my documents while I was in Canada and was waiting for update. February 2023, I am already in my home country, got an email that my PR was approved and I am on COPR. But IRCC agent can't create a portal because I'm now outside Canada so I need to go back there. One suggestion he sent was to apply for visitor visa which I did.

So last May 2023, I applied for visitor visa and I was transparent about my case. I summarized in my client information why I applied for visitor visa. So the gist of it was that I was hoping to get a visitor visa to finalize my COPR because I was outside the country and that it happened I came back to my home country because of the reasons I mentioned. And I emphasized that I wanted to be a permanent resident after all the hard work I did since I came in May 2019. Also, I submitted my medicals that I had back in Toronto because the IRCC-approved clinic that I would have to ask medicals again in my home country informed me there is no need as I had already an existing one, and that I just need to go back to Canada to use it before September 24th as it will expire, which I mentioned also in the summary. I also submitted my bank statements in Scotiabank proving that I still had funds to use once I get back in Canada and attached the letter in which I was invited to become a permanent resident.

Now, June 2023, I received a refused visitor visa application and it says:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:
• Your proposed length of stay in Canada is inconsistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

So overall, I wasn't refused because of my medicals or background or funds. But because the information I provided and I think because of the intention why I am visiting Canada.
I was clear in my letter that I was applying visitor's visa as a means to complete my COPR and become a permanent resident. So I would have to apply again for another visa but I wonder what I should state in the letter why I am applying for visitor visa to complete my COPR?

Thanks for the help!!!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

This is an urgent question I need answers since I need to come back to Canada before September 24, 2023. My case is a little bit complex. Hope to hear your feedback! :)

A little background about me. I first came to Canada as a student last May 2019 and graduated December 2019. Got my PGWP by May 2020 and had an extension of it from May 2021 - November 2022. Applied for EE and got my ITA under CEC stream last September 2022 and had my medical examination on same month. I went home last October 30 because of family reasons and because my extended PGWP was expiring. But before I went home I submitted my documents while I was in Canada and was waiting for update. February 2023, I am already in my home country, got an email that my PR was approved and I am on COPR. But IRCC agent can't create a portal because I'm now outside Canada so I need to go back there. One suggestion he sent was to apply for visitor visa which I did.

So last May 2023, I applied for visitor visa and I was transparent about my case. I summarized in my client information why I applied for visitor visa. So the gist of it was that I was hoping to get a visitor visa to finalize my COPR because I was outside the country and that it happened I came back to my home country because of the reasons I mentioned. And I emphasized that I wanted to be a permanent resident after all the hard work I did since I came in May 2019. Also, I submitted my medicals that I had back in Toronto because the IRCC-approved clinic that I would have to ask medicals again in my home country informed me there is no need as I had already an existing one, and that I just need to go back to Canada to use it before September 24th as it will expire, which I mentioned also in the summary. I also submitted my bank statements in Scotiabank proving that I still had funds to use once I get back in Canada and attached the letter in which I was invited to become a permanent resident.

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as required by paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.html). I am refusing your application because you have not established that you will leave Canada, based on the following factors:
• Your proposed length of stay in Canada is inconsistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

So overall, I wasn't refused because of my medicals or background or funds. But because the information I provided and I think because of the intention why I am visiting Canada.
I was clear in my letter that I was applying visitor's visa as a means to complete my COPR and become a permanent resident. So I would have to apply again for another visa but I wonder what I should state in the letter why I am applying for visitor visa to complete my COPR?

Thanks for the help!!!!
You are mixing up / confused with the concepts of apply visitor visa and getting COPR:

COPR = Confirmation of Permanent resident - intended for permanent stay in Canada
Visitor visa = Temporary Resident visa - Intended for temorary stay in Canada

Your medicals in your permanent residency application is separate from a temorary residency application. In order to get a temporary residency visa (TRV), you should show strong proof to your ties (such as employment) in your home country. Mention your refusal in your next TRV application.

4sgma.realty

Jun 24, 2023
You are mixing up / confused with the concepts of apply visitor visa and getting COPR:

COPR = Confirmation of Permanent resident - intended for permanent stay in Canada
Visitor visa = Temporary Resident visa - Intended for temorary stay in Canada

Your medicals in your permanent residency application is separate from a temorary residency application. In order to get a temporary residency visa (TRV), you should show strong proof to your ties (such as employment) in your home country. Mention your refusal in your next TRV application.
Thanks for your feedback!

No, it's not mixed up and I do understand my situation. I'm just concerned on how to get my visitor visa approved.
The officer handling my permanent resident application told me to come back to Canada because they cannot create the portal to continue COPR. And in his email, there was a link on how to apply for a visitor visa. I've been researching this scenario on forums but I think this is not a common occurrence.

I remembered that when I initially created the application for a visitor visa, I did state that my duration of stay was from September 5, 2023 to February 29, 2024, it's more than 6 months. I believe this has to do with my refusal as stated also on the officer's decision:

"Your proposed length of stay in Canada is inconsistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application."

Perhaps I could have been more clear what I wrote in my client information and the information I provided on the portal? I could do that.

I believe my refusal has nothing to do with the medical, family ties and whatnot. The officer should have mentioned it as one of the reasons. But I only had the proposed length of stay as the factor for refusal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know how this works in your case - I guess you would have to contact IRCC regarding your EE/ITA file and ask them to issue you a passport request so that you could get a PR/immigrant visa and COPR at an embassy or consulate abroad. Simply on the basis that you do not have a valid document to enter Canada and do the portal approach.

Should note - you waiting from February to deal with this doesn't help. And I'm assuming that the form of PR type you applied for does not require you to be in Canada (which I simply do not know about at all - I know this is required for one type of spousal application but don't know about other types esp EE).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I believe my refusal has nothing to do with the medical, family ties and whatnot. The officer should have mentioned it as one of the reasons. But I only had the proposed length of stay as the factor for refusal.
See my post above - I believe it is because you shouldn't have applied for a visitor's visa at all.

I know you say the IRCC agent suggested you apply for a visitor visa - I believe that was an incorrect suggestion.

At any rate: would still suggest you contact IRCC or the visa office wherever you are. You could also try a lawyer, or conceivably your MP in Canada (I am not confident this last would work).

Reactions: canuck78

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It was a suggestion from the IRCC. Be it correct or not correct.
Yes. But sometimes the agents do provide incorrect info.* In this context, it certainly didn't work, and I don't think because of the medical or other reasons mentioned - red herrings. So contacting to figure out still recommended.

* I'm sure a significant portion of cases where IRCC provides nominally incorrect info can also be simple misunderstandings, or applicant provides incomplete info, or other cases where the 'incorrect' info may be correct in some sense but not appropriate to the situation, regardless of whose fault it may be.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help!!!!
Bro simply send a webform or reply to that email that you are outside Canada and ask if you can send your passport to local visa office so that they can issue you PR visa to land in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Forget about the TRV and simply ask for COPR and passport stamping in your home country and then land in Canada. If you had updated your address on your PR application to indicate that you were living you could have avoided this issue and had PPR and COPR from your home country.

Reactions: armoured