+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to extend visitor status?

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
Hi, I am a US citizen in Canada living with my boyfriend. I was given a 6 month visitor record valid until Feb 12, 2009. We are planning on having a civil ceremony in the near future and a church ceremony later in 2009 when our families can attend. However, we may not have time this month to have a civil ceremony, and I would like to remain in Canada because I feel it is important to continue living with my boyfriend to continue our relationship in person and not simply over the internet. I have known him for about 2 years, and he has agreed to support me while I am here until I can get a job.
If I apply to extend my stay as a visitor, what should I say? It seems a lot of people that just want to stay with a significant other are rejected because Canada thinks they wont leave. I have access to bank accounts in the US as well as Canada and worst-case scenario, I would be willing to wait in the US until I can be sponsered under family class.
I am just looking for advice so this all goes as smoothly as possible.
Thank you :)

Julie0430

Nov 28, 2008
Hi MK1988!!! I'm so glad I found you, my bf is American and we've been doing the long distance thing for 3.5 years now. We're getting ready for him to come live with me at the end of December in hopes that we can get someone to offer him a job.Can I ask what is that you did when you arrived here? What did you tell the customs officer? I'm afraid that if he tells them he wants to just come here to visit me for six months they will say no and not let him in. Did they stamp your passport (Expiry date Feb09) or is that just 6 months after you arrived? Any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated!
You would think it would be a lot easier for us to be with our sig. others since our 2 countries are next door to each other.

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
Julie0430 said:
Hi MK1988!!! I'm so glad I found you, my bf is American and we've been doing the long distance thing for 3.5 years now. We're getting ready for him to come live with me at the end of December in hopes that we can get someone to offer him a job.Can I ask what is that you did when you arrived here? What did you tell the customs officer? I'm afraid that if he tells them he wants to just come here to visit me for six months they will say no and not let him in. Did they stamp your passport (Expiry date Feb09) or is that just 6 months after you arrived? Any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated!
You would think it would be a lot easier for us to be with our sig. others since our 2 countries are next door to each other.

hi :)
My situation is sort of different than most probably are so I'll just tell you what I've done so far.
I had known my boyfriend for about two years and I decided to come live with him. He lived in PEI but was going to move to BC for a job. I flew to PEI to visit him for a couple weeks (trial run of sorts to make sure things were going to go well) and then we left for BC. Since I lived in Wisconsin we drove though the states. We did run into a bit of trouble coming into the US because customs thought he was going to try to stay illegally with me in Wisconsin (luckily he had a contract from the employer he was moving for so it all worked out). We went to Wisconsin and stayed there a week so that he could meet my family. When we got to the border in Montana (we went to Coutts/Sweetgrass) we explained that I was planning on moving into Canada to be with him, and we were sent inside where we were both questioned (things like money, your relationship with the person, family matters) and then I was given a 6 month Visitor Record. That's just a form they staple into your passport explaining that you can stay up to a certain date, usually you can't work or go to school (you just have to get the job offer and work permit seperate). We were just totally honest about what was going on and it worked well for us.
We do know that border patrol usually wants to know why you're coming into canada, how long you plan on staying, and that you will leave at the end of your stay. You might want to bring proof of things such as how you get your funds (from partner, employer, bank statement, etc) or things that prove you still have ties to your home country. I would definitely say it would be easier to be with your boyfriend when he goes through this, but in the event that that would be impossible, a letter from you can stating an invitation and the situation usually works.
Just be calm and patient, and hope the person you deal with is nice!

also-- I didn't have a whole lot of money when I came into Canada, and my boyfriend had agreed to support me until I get a job. The officer was a bit leery on this, but he showed her his credit card and explained where he obtains funds from and she accepted it.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Julie0430

Nov 28, 2008
Wow, so do you think he should explain our whole situation to the border guys when he comes here in a few weeks? I'm just afraid they wont let him in if he says he's comming to stay for 6 months. Or should he just say he's comming to visit for the holidays and leave in a couple weeks? Because from what I'm understanding if he comes say Dec 22, he technically has 6 months from that date to stay right? I just hope this all works out!!

mk1988

Oct 24, 2008
Julie0430 said:
Wow, so do you think he should explain our whole situation to the border guys when he comes here in a few weeks? I'm just afraid they wont let him in if he says he's comming to stay for 6 months. Or should he just say he's comming to visit for the holidays and leave in a couple weeks? Because from what I'm understanding if he comes say Dec 22, he technically has 6 months from that date to stay right? I just hope this all works out!!
Normally someone is allowed to stay for 6 months, but it can be changed (shorter or longer) due to the circumstances.
Some people recommend lying and just saying he's planning to come for the holidays, and some would recommend telling the whole truth. Personally, I would tell border officers about your relationship, that he's planning on getting work, and has the funds to support his stay in Canada. I would also let them know that you both know what the legal issues are so that his stay in Canada will be legal.
The officers may try to interrogate you both if they are not satisfied that the relationship is legit or if they think something fishy is going on. This happened to us. They are obviously well-trained and can intimidate you. Just stay calm and answer anything they ask you, and provide documented proof if need be.

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How Long it takes in processing a visit visa Extension?

Hi
I have been in canada as a business visitor for last 6 months and i had applied for an extension 30 days before expiry of my visit visa.. Its been more than a month now and I have not heard anything from CIC.. Does anyone know how long they normaly take to give an extension?

Thanks
Naeem

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Visitor extension right now, 80 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Dear for help...

so thats mean i have to wait for 80 days?

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Leon.. I heard they approve 90% of extention applications, is that true?