+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PRTD by email, query on Document checklist for Residency

canadian_raj

Jul 1, 2019
Hi Members,

Past: I am a Canadian PR. I did my soft landing in Dec 2018.

Current : In upcoming October 2020, I want to move to Canada permanently.

Given that I am in California, and Los Angeles VFS office is closed, I have been directed (by the VFS Los Angeles email to apply for PRTD) that I should submit all the things online over email to apply for PRTD.

To apply, there is a checklist to be followed mentioned at link : https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5627e.pdf

From the Document checklist link above, Point 8 states the following:

At minimum, provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show the residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application, such as :
- employment records/pay stubs,
- bank statements,
- Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) Notice of assessment for the 5 years immediately before te application,.
- evidence that you eceived benefits from canadian government programs,
- rental aggrements,
- club memberships,
- any other doc that is relevant to the determination of your residency obligation.

Given that I had done only soft landing and stayed in Canada only for 4 days, I only have these pieces of information:

- Canadian Bank statement (but has US address, as I didnt have any residence in canada till now).
- Rental Aggrement (Booked the apartment, rental to start from Oct 1st 2020).

Apart from that there is :
- COPR doc which was stamped when I landed in Dec 2018.

Need suggestions on will this be enough for applying for PRTD, as the checklist seems not to take in account for people who only did soft landing, and are now planning to move permanently (and wouldn't have the docs mentioned).

Any other suggestions on which other doc can be included ?

Last edited:

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hi Members,

Past: I am a Canadian PR. I did my soft landing in Dec 2018.

Current : In upcoming October 2020, I want to move to Canada permanently.

Given that I am in California, and Los Angeles VFS office is closed, I have been directed (by the VFS Los Angeles email to apply for PRTD) that I should submit all the things online over email to apply for PRTD.

To apply, there is a checklist to be followed mentioned at link : https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5627e.pdf

From the Document checklist link above, Point 8 states the following:

At minimum, provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show the residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application, such as :
- employment records/pay stubs,
- bank statements,
- Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) Notice of assessment for the 5 years immediately before te application,.
- evidence that you eceived benefits from canadian government programs,
- rental aggrements,
- club memberships,
- any other doc that is relevant to the determination of your residency obligation.

Given that I had done only soft landing and stayed in Canada only for 4 days, I only have these pieces of information:

- Canadian Bank statement (but has US address, as I didnt have any residence in canada till now).
- Rental Aggrement (Booked the apartment, rental to start from Oct 1st 2020).

Apart from that there is :
- COPR doc which was stamped when I landed in Dec 2018.

Need suggestions on will this be enough for applying for PRTD, as the checklist seems not to take in account for people who only did soft landing, and are now planning to move permanently (and wouldn't have the docs mentioned).

Any other suggestions on which other doc can be included ?
since you still have time on your PR, COPR + PR card should suffice. include an LOE detailing why you had to stay out of canada for 2 years and establishing that you now intend to return for permanent residence. attach the rental agreement and you should be good to go.

Reactions: canadian_raj

canadian_raj

Jul 1, 2019
since you still have time on your PR, COPR + PR card should suffice. include an LOE detailing why you had to stay out of canada for 2 years and establishing that you now intend to return for permanent residence. attach the rental agreement and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the information. Appreciated!
Just to clarify, as I stayed in Canada just for 4 days, I was not able to get the PR card, as I didn't have any Canadian address.

bfh1920

Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I'm in similar suitation like you, may I know the status of your application and also the email used to contact los Angeles VFS or the email that you have contacted initially to start the process,
Thanks any help is appreciated

canadian_raj

Jul 1, 2019
Hello, I'm in similar suitation like you, may I know the status of your application and also the email used to contact los Angeles VFS or the email that you have contacted initially to start the process,
Thanks any help is appreciated

TL;DR : I was able to get my passport stamped with PRTD within 2 weeks from the time I started my first email.

I had initially emailed at: los-angeles-im-urgent@international.gc.ca with the subject line: "URGENT PRTD - COVID19" and stated that I want to apply for PRTD.
I received an automated email back with the below link having instruction on docs to be emailed and where to email and where to pay the fees.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

Ideally, the above email can be skipped as you can use the above link to read and start the process.

Thus, based on the above link I prepared the soft copies of the docs to be submitted, paid the fees online, and emailed at IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with the subject line: "PRTD application: <YOUR FULL NAME>".

In the email, I explained my situation on why I would like to move now and what all docs I can furnish, given that I had done only soft landing before which lasted only for few days.

Within 2 days, I received an email saying that I now need to send my physical passport to their LA office with a return shipping label. I got the 2-day return shipping label created from UPS shop, and put it in the envelope while sending my passport. Post that I received my passport with PRTD (it's a visa with multiple entries in 1 year) back within 8-10 days from the time of sending it.

Details on getting the label: I went with UPS by going to their shop for getting the labels (and it was a charm using them) where the customer service agent only created both the shipping and return labels for me. Before going to UPS, I had gone to Fedex where I tried to create my label from their computer (a similar thing I tried from home to generate the labels with no success), but Fedex payment gateway won't accept my Credit Cards when I tried from home and also from their shop computer (they have this ongoing problem from the last 2+ years), and in all this, the customer service agent doesn't have the privilege to create a return shipping label (one can only do it from the computer, and where their payment gateway won't work)). In 2020 also, FedEx is still figuring out how to do their 101 things right.

Go to UPS and save you time, even though both are costlier and the only options.

bfh1920

Aug 1, 2019
TL;DR : I was able to get my passport stamped with PRTD within 2 weeks from the time I started my first email.

I had initially emailed at: los-angeles-im-urgent@international.gc.ca with the subject line: "URGENT PRTD - COVID19" and stated that I want to apply for PRTD.
I received an automated email back with the below link having instruction on docs to be emailed and where to email and where to pay the fees.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

Ideally, the above email can be skipped as you can use the above link to read and start the process.

Thus, based on the above link I prepared the soft copies of the docs to be submitted, paid the fees online, and emailed at IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with the subject line: "PRTD application: <YOUR FULL NAME>".

In the email, I explained my situation on why I would like to move now and what all docs I can furnish, given that I had done only soft landing before which lasted only for few days.

Within 2 days, I received an email saying that I now need to send my physical passport to their LA office with a return shipping label. I got the 2-day return shipping label created from UPS shop, and put it in the envelope while sending my passport. Post that I received my passport with PRTD (it's a visa with multiple entries in 1 year) back within 8-10 days from the time of sending it.

Details on getting the label: I went with UPS by going to their shop for getting the labels (and it was a charm using them) where the customer service agent only created both the shipping and return labels for me. Before going to UPS, I had gone to Fedex where I tried to create my label from their computer (a similar thing I tried from home to generate the labels with no success), but Fedex payment gateway won't accept my Credit Cards when I tried from home and also from their shop computer (they have this ongoing problem from the last 2+ years), and in all this, the customer service agent doesn't have the privilege to create a return shipping label (one can only do it from the computer, and where their payment gateway won't work)). In 2020 also, FedEx is still figuring out how to do their 101 things right.

Go to UPS and save you time, even though both are costlier and the only options.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, went through the link, and it looks straight forward. and started the process. will keep updated in this thread.
again, thanks a lot.

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, went through the link, and it looks straight forward. and started the process. will keep updated in this thread.
again, thanks a lot.
Did u only submit the COPR? I am in similar situation. I do not have PR card