+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PR for parents

Akivda

Feb 5, 2024
Hello all,
I am creating this do discuss for a special case I have.
My parents (mom and dad) have valid visitor visa for 10 yrs. We all rest of our family (two brothers and their families, and me) have valid permanent residence.
However, my dad passed away few months before. Is there any way that I can apply PR for my mother in any grounds although she has valid visitor visa?

CanadianSnowBird

Star Member
Oct 1, 2023
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
OINP HCP (Healthcare) -submitted - 08/11/2023
My condolences , it is truly sad....Stay strong!

We are not in Canada yet but we've done some research about the topic:

1) First and foremost check out this page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

2) You are eligible to sponsor your parent to become a new Canadian PR if you have paid taxes in Canada for at least 3 years and can prove it

3) First you enter "the family sponsorship pool" so to say from which people get randomly picked once a year.

4) If your application gets picked then you can proceed with the rest of the sponsorship process.

You basically apply for a chance to be able to invite you relative over to Canada which is so odd if you ask me but it is what it is.

However, do not despair !

You can help your mom get one of those super visas Canada won't stop talking about :
It will allow her to stay in Canada for 5 years in a row(with an option to extend her stay for another 2 years) without having to leave the country and while she's there you can work on her immigration process. While it might be financial strenuous ,though in a more of a passive way(you need to have a lot of money in your bank account) it is one of the most straightforward ways to get your mom to Canada ASAP!

SUPERVISA:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html

God bless ! Do not get depressed over this situation ,you have to be strong now more than ever , you can do this!

Reactions: markcm

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,
I am creating this do discuss for a special case I have.
My parents (mom and dad) have valid visitor visa for 10 yrs. We all rest of our family (two brothers and their families, and me) have valid permanent residence.
However, my dad passed away few months before. Is there any way that I can apply PR for my mother in any grounds although she has valid visitor visa?
This is a very common situation. Supervisa and PGP are created to allow parents to visit or get PR since parent sponsorship is not guaranteed. How old is your mother? Is she able to care for herself? Feed herself, dress herself, take care of her personal hygiene, etc.? Does she have extended family in her home country like siblings, parents, cousins, etc. How recently you and your brother moved to Canada would be anohh torr consideration. The only other option would be Pr based on H&C. This is not guaranteed and things like whether she is able to care for herself and family support in her home country will be considered. The fact that things like the supervisa are in place to allow parents to spend an extended amount of time with their children while they wait to get selected for PGP will also be a consideration. The time you can spend visiting on a supervisa was even extended recently to 5-7 years so she does have way to be with her children already If denied H&C then she will have already shown that her plan is to remain in Canada so could impact her ability to visit in the future which is why it can be risky to apply for H&C. In general being widowed doesn’t guarantee H&C you need more. H&C application are taking around 2 years these days and the wait time has increased dramatically recently likely due to many attempting to secure PR for their parents due to the fact there hasn’t been any recent draws for PGP. I think it is quite likely that IRCC is going to have to take a position on parents trying to circumvent the PGP program and quota set for parent/grandparent sponsorship and using the H&C system for parent sponsorship because the H&C program is being overwhelmed by all the application. A lot of the applications do not have H&C reasons or are in family scenarios that are very common for many families in the PGP2020 pool or for families waiting for PGP to be opened again. In general Canada already has an ageing population and a healthcare system in crisis. With the volume of newcomers Canada will never come to close to meeting the demand for parent/grandparent sponsorship and should be more open about this fact so newcomers can decide whether moving to Canada makes sense for their families. Whether parent and grandparent sponsorship is feasible and whether it makes sense to only allow a small portion of families who want to sponsor their parents to sponsor their parents is another discussion that likely needs to happen. Most countries do not allow parent and grandparent sponsorship with access to public healthcare for a reason.

Reactions: CanadianSnowBird

Liera

May 25, 2024
3) First you enter "the family sponsorship pool" so to say from which people get randomly picked once a year.
Hello, CanadianSnowBird,
May I please ask you about how to enter "the family sponsorship pool?"
Looks like I'm somewhere around and can not get the full idea.
We would like to sponsor our parents.
Many appreciate the answer and help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, CanadianSnowBird,
May I please ask you about how to enter "the family sponsorship pool?"
Looks like I'm somewhere around and can not get the full idea.
We would like to sponsor our parents.
Many appreciate the answer and help!
Not possible right now.

It's not open at this time and hasn't opened for several years now. We don't know when it will open again.

Liera

May 25, 2024
Not possible right now.

It's not open at this time and hasn't opened for several years now. We don't know when it will open again.
Thank you so much for the answer!
How did the people know that it was open? Was there any special announcement for that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you!
I still did not get where to monitor the 'pool' opening, sorry.
You have to keep checking the website for news.