+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Work Permit while Permanent Residence application is pending

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
Hello,
I am an Indian working as a software dev at company in the US. My company is offering to send me to Canada on a closed work permit this July if my H1B doesn't get selected. Also, I just read about the Temporary worker to Permanent Residence path being closed since May 2021.
Hence my question is that, if I were to apply for the PR in the next weeks, would there be an issue a few months later when my company applies for my closed work permit since I have a pending permanent residence application pending ?
Would it be better to apply for an open work permit when I am inside Canada on a closed work permit and then apply for the PR ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I am an Indian working as a software dev at company in the US. My company is offering to send me to Canada on a closed work permit this July if my H1B doesn't get selected. Also, I just read about the Temporary worker to Permanent Residence path being closed since May 2021.
Hence my question is that, if I were to apply for the PR in the next weeks, would there be an issue a few months later when my company applies for my closed work permit since I have a pending permanent residence application pending ?
Would it be better to apply for an open work permit when I am inside Canada on a closed work permit and then apply for the PR ?
How are you applying for PR? Have you received ITA through Express Entry?

There's no issue applying for a closed work permit while PR is in progress.

Switching from a closed to an open work permit (before applying for PR) isn't possible for you unless there are details about your profile you are leaving out (e.g. you have a spouse in Canada on a student visa).

gopalmoseskhan

Jan 17, 2023
How are you applying for PR? Have you received ITA through Express Entry?

There's no issue applying for a closed work permit while PR is in progress.

Switching from a closed to an open work permit (before applying for PR) isn't possible for you unless there are details about your profile you are leaving out (e.g. you have a spouse in Canada on a student visa).
- When I said "if I were to apply for the PR in the next weeks" I meant, I would want to start the application process for Express Entry (or PNP, I am unsure about this and have limited knowledge). This means I may or may not have the ITA by the time the closed permit application happens.

Based on this page here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/tr-pr-pathway/open-work-permit.html I thought I cannot apply for a PR if I am on closed work permit and have to apply for open work permit. So do you mean I can apply for PR even when I am on a closed work permit? If yes then how and would it be an occupation specific PR instead of express entry ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- When I said "if I were to apply for the PR in the next weeks" I meant, I would want to start the application process for Express Entry (or PNP, I am unsure about this and have limited knowledge). This means I may or may not have the ITA by the time the closed permit application happens.

Based on this page here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/tr-pr-pathway/open-work-permit.html I thought I cannot apply for a PR if I am on closed work permit and have to apply for open work permit. So do you mean I can apply for PR even when I am on a closed work permit? If yes then how and would it be an occupation specific PR instead of express entry ?
The TR to PR Pathway is no longer open. So the rules of that program are irrelevant.

Yes, of course you can apply for PR while on a closed work permit. You could apply through Express Entry, for example. I'm not sure why you think you cannot apply for PR while on a closed work permit.

Reactions: vkamath

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
I am on a closed work permit and my employer filed my PR application while I was on closed WP. What your current CRS score. Today's cutoff was 507. If you are crossing that I'd say go ahead and file the EE
If you are not near that score, I'd recommend talking to your employer since you are getting transferred they might file a PR for your via some PNP program which gives you a better chance. Good luck and reach out if you need more info

deeolah

Jan 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

I applied for PR via the non EE stream, still waiting for AOR. I am about to apply for WP, will it have any impact on my PR application because I applied before applying for WP?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I am on a closed work permit and my employer filed my PR application while I was on closed WP. What your current CRS score. Today's cutoff was 507. If you are crossing that I'd say go ahead and file the EE
If you are not near that score, I'd recommend talking to your employer since you are getting transferred they might file a PR for your via some PNP program which gives you a better chance. Good luck and reach out if you need more info
What do you mean your employer filed your PR application? Did your employer retain a consultant and cover all the fees/advice/services for your PR application?