+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work permit through my spouse

Apr 3, 2018
Hi everyone, my wife has has just received a 2 year work experience visa. She qualified as she has a British passport and is under the age of 31.

I have a South African passport and am also under the age of 31. So my question is this…

Can I apply for a work visa through my wife? If so, how would I go about doing this? I am assuming that I would need to apply whilst inside Canada? I do currently have a visitors visa which expires in 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I assume your wife obtain an IEC (working holiday visa). If so, she needs to secure a NOC A, B or 0 role (skilled job) and have worked in that role for a number of weeks before you can apply for an open work permit based on her work permit.

Apr 3, 2018
I assume your wife obtain an IEC (working holiday visa). If so, she needs to secure a NOC A, B or 0 role (skilled job) and have worked in that role for a number of weeks before you can apply for an open work permit based on her work permit.
Thank you for your response scylla. My wife is a qualified video editor (3 year bachelors degree) and I have the same qualification. So I believe that falls under NOC A?

Is it would be possible for me to apply whilst in Canada on a visitors visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response scylla. My wife is a qualified video editor (3 year bachelors degree) and I have the same qualification. So I believe that falls under NOC A?

Is it would be possible for me to apply whilst in Canada on a visitors visa?
Note that she must have a job in Canada that meets the skill level requirement and must have already started that job (she will be required to provide three payslips to support your application). It's not enough to simply have qualifications for a NOC A occupation - she must have an actual job. So that she be her priority.

Yes - you can apply while in Canada as a visitor (once she is working in a job that meets the requirements). Note that you'll need a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor - and will need to fly on a return ticket.

Apr 3, 2018
Note that she must have a job in Canada that meets the skill level requirement and must have already started that job (she will be required to provide three payslips to support your application). It's not enough to simply have qualifications for a NOC A occupation - she must have an actual job. So that she be her priority.

Yes - you can apply while in Canada as a visitor (once she is working in a job that meets the requirements). Note that you'll need a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor - and will need to fly on a return ticket.
Understood. Thank you kindly for your response, it has been most helpful.