+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for temp visa while residency being processed????? HELP!!

vvargas

Sep 22, 2010
Dominican Republic
Category........
Visa Office......
Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-01-2011
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
HI EVERYONE,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. My spouse and I have already sent our application for his permanent residency this November. We are currently playing the waiting game :( but my yearly vacation is coming around and I would LOVE to take him with me to Canada for a few weeks.

Do you think it's a good idea to apply for a temp. visa while his papers are being processed? Will this negatively affect any decision or processing time for his res. papers?? I don't want to do anything to make this horrible process any longer!!!!!!
Let me know your thought, or even better if anyone was in a similar situation.

I'm just scared they might reject him for a temp. visa and then see he has application for residency and reject him on that as well....

Thanks everyone!!!!! :)

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
If he is refused the trv it will in no way impact the PR application. The chances of him being granted one are slim to none having a wife living in Canada and PR application in process. He would have to show very strong ties to his country to prove he would leave at the end of visitfor example... Property, assets, good job, family children ect. Some people are approved. No harm in trying.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
vvargas said:
Do you think it's a good idea to apply for a temp. visa while his papers are being processed? Will this negatively affect any decision or processing time for his res. papers?? I don't want to do anything to make this horrible process any longer!!!!!!
Let me know your thought, or even better if anyone was in a similar situation.

I'm just scared they might reject him for a temp. visa and then see he has application for residency and reject him on that as well....
Applying for a TRV won't affect his PR application at all. If someone has applied for several TRVs, and then gets married to a Canadian and applies for a PR visa, this can negatively affect the PR application. But one TRV application to see you after the PR application has already gone in won't hurt.
However, he probably won't get it. You need strong proof that he will leave Canada: a job back home with a letter from the boss giving him 2 weeks off, a house or apartment, kids left behind, enrollment in school. Even with all this people get rejected. But one try won't hurt, and he might get it.

vvargas

Sep 22, 2010
Dominican Republic
Category........
Visa Office......
Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-01-2011
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
hmmm I see your points, at least trying to TRV won't affect his PR application!! I live and work with him overseas so this may work to our advantage!

At least I know we can try, maybe for once in my life I'll be the lucky one who gets to spend her vacation with her husband!!! :( (for the first time in 3 years :( )

Thanks Canadianwoman and Kelkel

FloridaNative

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-10
AOR Received.
01-13-11
Thanks for posting the question. My husband and I are in a similar situation. He is Canadian but was working and living in the States when we met. We have been married 3 years, and he recently got a job offer in Ottawa, so we are in the process of moving. He is already there, and I stayed home in Florida while we applied for my Perm Res.card. I really want to go and stay with him for a while, I am hoping to get a visitor Visa so I can stay an extended amount of time, while we wait.

We still have a house in the States, and I would not import my car, so we hope that would be enough proof I will return to the States before my Perm Res. is granted.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FloridaNative said:
Thanks for posting the question. My husband and I are in a similar situation. He is Canadian but was working and living in the States when we met. We have been married 3 years, and he recently got a job offer in Ottawa, so we are in the process of moving. He is already there, and I stayed home in Florida while we applied for my Perm Res.card. I really want to go and stay with him for a while, I am hoping to get a visitor Visa so I can stay an extended amount of time, while we wait.

We still have a house in the States, and I would not import my car, so we hope that would be enough proof I will return to the States before my Perm Res. is granted.

Any thoughts or suggestions??
If you are a US citizen you do not need a visa to visit. Visit and then apply for an extension.

FloridaNative

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-10
AOR Received.
01-13-11
Thank you Baloo,

How long can I visit for without getting a Visa. What will they say when I cross the border and I have a Perm Resident App in the system?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The maximum is six months, but it depends on the IO. Just make sure you show that you are "visiting", not moving.

Even if you visit for a month, you can apply for an extension when you arrive in Canada, people are allowed to change travel plans.