+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for student visa in canada previous overstay in UK.

Moe123

Jan 4, 2019
Hi guys, I have a few queries regarding student visa for Canada knowing my case might not be straightforward. Ill try to make it simple and short.

Im an Indian citizen currently based in India. My parents decided to visit uk in 2006 along with me (on visit visa of 6 months) and returned back to india in 15 days or so as our tour was complete. Next year sometime in 2007 they got a visa once more to visit uk with us(again a 6 month visa). This time they decided to stay back after the visa was finished due to circumstances they had at that point. During this time i was in 7th and was a minor so didnt have any idea of what my parents were doing and if it was wrong. I did from 7th- 11thin a school in london. Got good GCSE grades and went on to do my A levels at a college.(was still a minor). After finishing my A levels i was planning on carrying on with my education like all my other friends and started looking into courses i could study at a uni. At this point found out that i cant get into a uni because they will ask for my immigration status and i would not be able to study or get a job or have any rights at all in the country because of this. This situation was absolutely not acceptable for me and i told my parents i would like to live freely and not be scared of being deported or be limited to things every other teenager has access to. I convinced my parents to go back to india as it would be better for memto build a betterb future for myself. We came back to india in 2015 (we were not deported) bought our own tickets and came back to india willingly. Just to add during our stay in uk we had no criminal cases of any sort against us(never even seen a police station from inside)
After coming back to india I started feeling a massive difference in everything because i didnt even remember my home country as i was away for around 8 years and was use to the life in uk. I only remembered my house and how things were in uk Regardless I accepted it all and decided this is how its going to be. I wanted to pick up my studies from where i had to leave it but was told that the admissions for current year were closed. At this point my father decided to get me involved in his business here in India as it would help me settle down for now and teach me how things are in india. Ive been at it for almost 3 years now. Now that everything is stable and good here ive been thinking about picking up on my education from where i left it and met a consultant regarding it. She recommended me to start off with an advanced diploma in Business administration at a college in canada and later on get into masters.
At this point i would like to at least finish my graduation and then take care of my fathers business here in india. Thats pretty much my story. Ill dot down a few pointsbe about me that you might want to know.
* I was not deported from uk.
* Had no criminal record in uk neither did i break any law( besides the overstaying part)
* I dont have an arrival stamp on my passport because we used temporary passports to come back( my passport was expired)
* Planning on applying for extended diploma in canada
* My education certificates are all from Uk
* Capable of financially taking care of my education in canada.
According to my agent i have a shot at this but i feel they could be biased and probably just after their fees.
Im not sure how to explain my situation while applying and if i need to mention it atall. (My certificates make it very obvious that i have studied in uk)
I just want to study in canada and take care of my fathers business in india after my graduation.
I can prove strong ties to my home country.
What does my chances of getting a student visa in canada seem to you guys?

Looking for any sort of recommendation/ guidance that might help me improve my case and if someone could help me with how i should actually present my case.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Thanks & regards.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, I have a few queries regarding student visa for Canada knowing my case might not be straightforward. Ill try to make it simple and short.

Im an Indian citizen currently based in India. My parents decided to visit uk in 2006 along with me (on visit visa of 6 months) and returned back to india in 15 days or so as our tour was complete. Next year sometime in 2007 they got a visa once more to visit uk with us(again a 6 month visa). This time they decided to stay back after the visa was finished due to circumstances they had at that point. During this time i was in 7th and was a minor so didnt have any idea of what my parents were doing and if it was wrong. I did from 7th- 11thin a school in london. Got good GCSE grades and went on to do my A levels at a college.(was still a minor). After finishing my A levels i was planning on carrying on with my education like all my other friends and started looking into courses i could study at a uni. At this point found out that i cant get into a uni because they will ask for my immigration status and i would not be able to study or get a job or have any rights at all in the country because of this. This situation was absolutely not acceptable for me and i told my parents i would like to live freely and not be scared of being deported or be limited to things every other teenager has access to. I convinced my parents to go back to india as it would be better for memto build a betterb future for myself. We came back to india in 2015 (we were not deported) bought our own tickets and came back to india willingly. Just to add during our stay in uk we had no criminal cases of any sort against us(never even seen a police station from inside)
After coming back to india I started feeling a massive difference in everything because i didnt even remember my home country as i was away for around 8 years and was use to the life in uk. I only remembered my house and how things were in uk Regardless I accepted it all and decided this is how its going to be. I wanted to pick up my studies from where i had to leave it but was told that the admissions for current year were closed. At this point my father decided to get me involved in his business here in India as it would help me settle down for now and teach me how things are in india. Ive been at it for almost 3 years now. Now that everything is stable and good here ive been thinking about picking up on my education from where i left it and met a consultant regarding it. She recommended me to start off with an advanced diploma in Business administration at a college in canada and later on get into masters.
At this point i would like to at least finish my graduation and then take care of my fathers business here in india. Thats pretty much my story. Ill dot down a few pointsbe about me that you might want to know.
* I was not deported from uk.
* Had no criminal record in uk neither did i break any law( besides the overstaying part)
* I dont have an arrival stamp on my passport because we used temporary passports to come back( my passport was expired)
* Planning on applying for extended diploma in canada
* My education certificates are all from Uk
* Capable of financially taking care of my education in canada.
According to my agent i have a shot at this but i feel they could be biased and probably just after their fees.
Im not sure how to explain my situation while applying and if i need to mention it atall. (My certificates make it very obvious that i have studied in uk)
I just want to study in canada and take care of my fathers business in india after my graduation.
I can prove strong ties to my home country.
What does my chances of getting a student visa in canada seem to you guys?

Looking for any sort of recommendation/ guidance that might help me improve my case and if someone could help me with how i should actually present my case.
Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Thanks & regards.
It's hard to say what your chances are. You had a very long overstay but it was also a few years ago. There's always a possibility you may be approved. Make sure you are honest about your immigration history in your study permit application. I would apply on your own rather than through an agent to make sure all questions are answered truthfully. If there's an attempt to cover up any part of your immigration history, that will result in a refusal and 5 year ban for misrepresentation.

BTW: It makes absolutely no sense to take an advanced diploma in business administration and then get into a masters. You can't get into a masters with an advanced diploma. You need a bachelor degree. Sounds like the typical immigration consultant feeding you garbage because of how they are paid. I would ditch the consultant. If you want to come to Canada to study, I would strongly recommend you come for a 4 year bachelor degree program.

Moe123

Jan 4, 2019
It's hard to say what your chances are. You had a very long overstay but it was also a few years ago. There's always a possibility you may be approved. Make sure you are honest about your immigration history in your study permit application. I would apply on your own rather than through an agent to make sure all questions are answered truthfully. If there's an attempt to cover up any part of your immigration history, that will result in a refusal and 5 year ban for misrepresentation.

BTW: It makes absolutely no sense to take an advanced diploma in business administration and then get into a masters. You can't get into a masters with an advanced diploma. You need a bachelor degree. Sounds like the typical immigration consultant feeding you garbage because of how they are paid. I would ditch the consultant. If you want to come to Canada to study, I would strongly recommend you come for a 4 year bachelor degree program.
Thank you for your reply. Btw does the study permit apliapplican have a question on it about your past immigration insident in other countries or you just want me to declare it without even being asked for it.

Thanks for your recommendation about the 4 years bachelors degree program. Ill definitely look into it. At this point im at the initial stage of applying. Im just worried about my application being refused straight away if i declare the uk over staying part without even getting a chance to explain myself at an interview.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. Btw does the study permit apliapplican have a question on it about your past immigration insident in other countries or you just want me to declare it without even being asked for it.

Thanks for your recommendation about the 4 years bachelors degree program. Ill definitely look into it. At this point im at the initial stage of applying. Im just worried about my application being refused straight away if i declare the uk over staying part without even getting a chance to explain myself at an interview.
The study permit application has a question about whether you have ever been refused a visa or refused entry. You will need to check with your father to see if he ever applied for an extension to your visit in the UK (or anything else like that) that may have been refused. If he did apply for something on behalf of the family, you'll need to declare that refusal.

I believe there may also be a section where you have to provide your history. For the period where you were in the UK without status - you'll need to indicate that.

Skkkk66

Apr 1, 2023
Hi Everyone
I hope someone can help.I visited UK on study visa in 2010 and dropped the college as I was not able manage financially.I went there through a contact marriage.The guy had his name on my passport.He basically denied to pay the fees after reaching there.
So i worked there and came back to India before Visa expire
I removed his name from passport and i have fresh passport l.
I did graduation and currently working.
I am happily married.
My husband is thinking of trying fo Canada Study visa.
But i don't want tell him about contract marriage and all.
Whatt if i apply and i mention UK but not that i was in a marriage at that time.
What are chances of this thing coming out??
Pls help

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Everyone
I hope someone can help.I visited UK on study visa in 2010 and dropped the college as I was not able manage financially.I went there through a contact marriage.The guy had his name on my passport.He basically denied to pay the fees after reaching there.
So i worked there and came back to India before Visa expire
I removed his name from passport and i have fresh passport l.
I did graduation and currently working.
I am happily married.
My husband is thinking of trying fo Canada Study visa.
But i don't want tell him about contract marriage and all.
Whatt if i apply and i mention UK but not that i was in a marriage at that time.
What are chances of this thing coming out??
Pls help
It can or cannot you never know as the datas are usually shared.
I am not giving you life lessons but I think its better to come clean rather than in the end coming with fairness letter something as blow at the end even though you think its all good and you had patched all loopholes. Rest is your wish, how long to go ahead with looking over your shoulder all the time.

Skkkk66

Apr 1, 2023
It can or cannot you never know as the datas are usually shared.
I am not giving you life lessons but I think its better to come clean rather than in the end coming with fairness letter something as blow at the end even though you think its all good and you had patched all loopholes. Rest is your wish, how long to go ahead with looking over your shoulder all the time.
Thank You.What should I do.I am able to figure out???