+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP but have Unauthorized Work Experience

GooseBB

May 10, 2023
Need your help! Thank you for your attention! I would greatly appreciate any comments you may have!

Timeline:
Final course graded: Jan-01-2023
(then waiting for Program Completion Letter to be posted on my student service system....)
(wrongly believed that as long as the completion letter is not posted, I would still be a student....)
(so then, I got a part-time job)

Part-time Job started: April-12-2023
(suddenly realized my mistake)
Part-time Job ended: May-02-2023 (I did a total of 12 hrs of work)
Expiration Date Printed on Study Permit: July-31-2023

now, I am applying for PGWP, and I have a few questions. I hope I can get your advice!
  1. Should I answer "Yes" to the question "Have you ever remained beyond the validity of your status ... or worked without authorization in Canada?" on form imm5710e
  2. Do I need to write an explanation letter for 12 hours of unauthorized work?
  3. If I disclose my unauthorized work experience, will I be barred from applying for PGWP for 6 months?
  4. I paid the restoration fee for student status because I did not apply for PGWP within 90 days of my final grades. Can I work after I submit my PGWP application? Or do I need to wait until the results come in?

Thank you in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Need your help! Thank you for your attention! I would greatly appreciate any comments you may have!

Timeline:
Final course graded: Jan-01-2023
(then waiting for Program Completion Letter to be posted on my student service system....)
(wrongly believed that as long as the completion letter is not posted, I would still be a student....)
(so then, I got a part-time job)

Part-time Job started: April-12-2023
(suddenly realized my mistake)
Part-time Job ended: May-02-2023 (I did a total of 12 hrs of work)
Expiration Date Printed on Study Permit: July-31-2023

now, I am applying for PGWP, and I have a few questions. I hope I can get your advice!
  1. Should I answer "Yes" to the question "Have you ever remained beyond the validity of your status ... or worked without authorization in Canada?" on form imm5710e
  2. Do I need to write an explanation letter for 12 hours of unauthorized work?
  3. If I disclose my unauthorized work experience, will I be barred from applying for PGWP for 6 months?
  4. I paid the restoration fee for student status because I did not apply for PGWP within 90 days of my final grades. Can I work after I submit my PGWP application? Or do I need to wait until the results come in?

Thank you in advance!
Your study permit expired 90 after graduation so April 1. From then on you were without status in Canada. You cannot apply for PGWP until you restore your status to student.
1. Yes, but first you need to apply to restore status as you have been out of status since April 1.
2. You have bigger issues since you were working without status. Focus on 1. first
3. There are no rules about that but unauthorizd work may lead to PGWP refusal.
4. You cannot work until status is restored and you get a PGWP.

GooseBB

May 10, 2023
Your study permit expired 90 after graduation so April 1. From then on you were without status in Canada. You cannot apply for PGWP until you restore your status to student.
1. Yes, but first you need to apply to restore status as you have been out of status since April 1.
2. You have bigger issues since you were working without status. Focus on 1. first
3. There are no rules about that but unauthorizd work may lead to PGWP refusal.
4. You cannot work until status is restored and you get a PGWP.
Thanks for your help! I asked my university advisor they said I don't need to apply for restoration, just pay the restoration fee (restoration as student and pgwp in a single application), but I haven't figured out what the differences are..

Last edited:

GooseBB

May 10, 2023
Anyone with similar experience, please leave a comment... I'm worried that my pgwp will be rejected ......

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your help! I asked my university advisor they said I don't need to apply for restoration, just pay the restoration fee (restoration as student and pgwp in a single application), but I haven't figured out what the differences are..
If you are paying for restoration then you are restoring your status. You are in Canada illegally (out of status) right now and have been since April 1. First you need status to be eligible to apply for a PGWP. You cannot work until status is restored and PGWP is approved. You also worked illegally for several weeks.

GooseBB

May 10, 2023
If you are paying for restoration then you are restoring your status. You are in Canada illegally (out of status) right now and have been since April 1. First you need status to be eligible to apply for a PGWP. You cannot work until status is restored and PGWP is approved. You also worked illegally for several weeks.
Thanks for your help!!